Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Go back into the woodwork Leaf fans, already seeing comments like "he's too good for the 4th line" lmao
Weird. I don’t see where I said that. All that I said was give him a chance before you shit on him he has the potential to be decent. But by all means, take your anger towards Benning out on Leaf fans as a whole.

Mar 14, 2015
I’ve been watching Leivo very closely. He excels offensively in every situation. His shot, IQ and play on the boards is great, only weakness is that he can’t play the PK and that’s why Babcock didn’t play him. Babcock loves his bottom 9 forwards being able to play the PK. This is a solid deal and Leivo will break out if played next to EP or Horvat mark my words.

Im with you.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Why oh why does this team always do things like give up younger assets for players not able to get regular icetime on their old team. Leivo sounds like every other 25 almost 26 year player who "just wasn't given a chance". It's not often you see a MArchessault wher that might actually apply. Usually there are reasons for a guy not being able to establish himself in a lineup beyond the 4th line.

I suppose any player in the Canuck's system is an "asset", but let's try to put his value into perspective, maybe a top 25 prospect in the system?

Prospect Info: - Canucks 2018 Prospect Rankings - #20

Not sure the immediate hate is warranted. That being said, I have fairly low expectations that this trade will ever amount to anything significant.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
It's exciting watching Benning deplete Utica and doing absolutely nothing to help them out, for multiple years in a row now (hell, he couldn't even let them have Gagner).

I suppose he's banking on Beagle being back to be able to send Gaudette down, but still...yikes.

That being said, I look forward to what Leivo can show us here.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I suppose any player in the Canuck's system is an "asset", but let's try to put his value into perspective:

Not sure the immediate hate is warranted. That being said, I have fairly low expectations that this trade will ever amount to anything significant.

He has been having a breakout season in Utica.

Not saying he's a stud, but looking at last year's rankings doesn't tell the whole story. Read some of Ms posts lately about Utica's games. Carcone has been a consistent stand out.

Now. I don't mind selling high on a prospect. I said the same thing about Shinkaruk when he was finally producing in the ahl. Selling high is good. It's just, why do we always do it for another team's cast offs? I am so tired of acquiring these guys.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Epic blunder?

Best forward?

You realize we’re discussing Carcone, right?

2 contracts out and 1 in are the best part of these moves which tells you all you need to know about Carcone and Lepsic

The fact that Leivo is the incoming contract should make these moves imune from criticism from a Canuck fan.
What’s hilarious is a few of the usual suspects are praising Carcone as a legitimate prospect and a great player for Utica. He was universally hated down in Utica up until a month ago when he started a bit of a hot streak. He is a useful AHL player but he will never play a game in the NHL

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I suppose any player in the Canuck's system is an "asset", but let's try to put his value into perspective:

He is an asset. It may not be a great one I agree. But if you agree with that then that makes Leivo worth the same. He also isn't viewed as an asset around the league. There is usually a reason for that. He might turn out great but odds are its the latest in a run of 25/26 year olds that "just haven't been given a chance" that can be found all over the AHL and Europe. This isn't just a Benning thing....many GMs do it. It very rarely ends up being meaningful.

The better move would have been claiming a Zykov or Aberg etc. Similar caliber players that allows you keep the marginal asset that was moved.

Reactions: THE Green Man

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
He has been having a breakout season in Utica.

Not saying he's a stud, but looking at last year's rankings doesn't tell the whole story. Read some of Ms posts lately about Utica's games. Carcone has been a consistent stand out.

Now. I don't mind selling high on a prospect. I said the same thing about Shinkaruk when he was finally producing in the ahl. Selling high is good. It's just, why do we always do it for another team's cast offs? I am so tired of acquiring these guys.

Using that logic, perhaps we are actually buying low? Again, I don't think this trade will amount to anything significant, but I'm not going to immediately hate on it.

E40

Nov 18, 2018
So, can't get a clear read from leaves fanatics on this one

... He's a good skater/he's not a good skater...He does nothing very well / he can be a 20 goal guy... Not big or strong, / he has some grit... He's got more to give/ he's a plug.

I say Why not, career AHLer won't be missed and its Benning afterall. at least he didn't throw in a pick to sweeten the deal

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I love these kind of stories where player x hasn't been given a chance to succeed at team y. Unfortunately we have had to many of these stories before and they have all ended in utter failure. Didn't Leipsic have the same background? Guy didn't get a chance... look at him now... now we grab another project.

I am 100 Percent sure it will fail again.

Yep. Their biggest win in this department was probably Baertschi. A soft one-dimensional winger who can put up 30 points in big minutes on a terible team. Not super flattering when that’s your big win for reclaimation projects.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
He is an asset. It may not be a great one I agree. But if you agree with that then that makes Leivo worth the same. He also isn't viewed as an asset around the league. He might turn out great but odds are its the latest in a run of 25/26 year olds that "just haven't been given a chance" that can be found all over the AHL and Europe. This isn't just a Benning thing....many GMs do it. It very rarely ends up being meaningful.

If he's worth the same then why complain at this point? Why not state that it seems like a fair trade at the moment and wait until enough time passes to form a proper judgement?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Josh Leivo is where Carcone can only one day maybe hopefully be

Solid trade for Vancouver. Leivo stealing ice time from the trash they've been throwing out the past few weeks ought to send a message that nobody's job is guaranteed when you are losing.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great move. Leivo>>>Leipsic. We lose almost nothing in Carcone and end up with a solid player, really like this move.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
CLear playing time for Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich? That playing time is already clear. They just aren't able to take that time because they have performed poorly in the AHL.
The thing is, these guys have no where else to go and need to be given opportunities to succeed for us to at least see what we have in them. Even if it is marginal, all playing time helps and I really don't care if Utica suffers because of it. They are a farm team, and serve the purpose of developing young players.

Let's be real, Carcone was not an asset that was going to get us anything to help our defence or poor goaltending. At the very least, Leivo is an upgrade at wing and should provide Horvat more support in Baertschi's absence.

Clearing dead-weight in Utica for someone that can serve a purpose on the Canucks should not be seen as a negative. We didn't trade a draft pick, or a player with any upside (or value). If you think Carcone could've been used as an asset ever, you are dreaming.

Reactions: stampedingviking

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If he's worth the same then why complain at this point? Why not state that it seems like a fair trade at the moment and wait until enough time passes to form a proper judgement?

Because there are better ways to acquire a player that has marginal value. This is an organization that doesn't actually have many assets. They don't stockpile picks they haven't attempted to stock the farm team etc. So value wise it may be "even" there have been several opportunities to keep an farm asset like Carcone and get a player like Leivo for free. Benning appears to pass those thing up all the time. He spends assets on players organizations have tired of and are destined to be UFA or on the waiver wire.

So sure let's give Leivo a chance....I haven't said otherwise. But I'm not going to call this a steal or anything like it because on the surface I don't believe this is the best move that could have been made for this organization in the past week.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great move. Leivo>>>Leipsic. We lose almost nothing in Carcone and end up with a solid player, really like this move.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'll believe that the Canucks didn't add a pick tomorrow. I'll let a full day pass in case the news trickles through. I see no reason why Toronto couldn't also get a pick out of Benning... all they had to do was firmly ask.

I suspect the owner has said no picks this year, we want the fans involved on draft day in Vancouver. Simply put, not one draft pick should be given away this year unless is a massive win in a trade.

And did TO do this to make room for Willy?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Funny how the Canucks manage to get older with this trade.

My guess is this will be a nothing trade. I called the Holm for Leipsic a nothing trade (despite the fact that Benning supporters were trumpeting that as some huge win). In the end it was a nothing trade. I expect the same here. Leivo is a decent player, but more of a dime a dozen type. We didn't give up a pick so no harm done in that regard, though Benning does take away from our AHL depth.

Overall nothing to get excited about either way.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad