Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
For the Toronto fans - Carcone didn’t figure into many conversations the past two seasons other than looking good in prospect tournaments. But this season seemed to be a different story - was one of the offensive leaders down on the farm and was consistently playing good hockey. His biggest asset is he has blazing speed.

For the Canucks - Leivo seems like a guy who didn’t get a fair shake in his current environment and will likely get one in Vancouver. He seems to have some size and skill. The downside here, of course, is for poor Utica, who lose one of the few bright spots they’ve had to start their season.

I love these kind of stories where player x hasn't been given a chance to succeed at team y. Unfortunately we have had to many of these stories before and they have all ended in utter failure. Didn't Leipsic have the same background? Guy didn't get a chance... look at him now... now we grab another project.

I am 100 Percent sure it will fail again.

Reactions: timw33

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’ve been watching Leivo very closely. He excels offensively in every situation. His shot, IQ and play on the boards is great, only weakness is that he can’t play the PK and that’s why Babcock didn’t play him. Babcock loves his bottom 9 forwards being able to play the PK. This is a solid deal and Leivo will break out if played next to EP or Horvat mark my words.

Agreed. He never got a real chance in Toronto and he's got top 6 upside. I hate to see him go, I think we may regret this if we're still playing in May but I'm happy to see him get a real shot (at least I assume he gets a real shot now).

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Josh Leivo is a top 6 forward. I’m serious this is such a steal I can’t believe people are actually still finding a way to hate on Benning with this deal. Leivo has an amazing shot and hockey IQ, he was a top 6 forward who barely got playing time because of Babcock’s stupid descisions. He’s much much better than Leipsic, Scherbak, and Zykov. Oh by the way, Scherbak and Zykov were both claimed before we had a chance to claim them so stop the **** and complaining that we didn’t just get one of them. Solid deal. Give Benning credit where it’s due even if he’s an awful GM

It's a win for the Canucks, but let's not go overboard here. I think Leivo is solid and might have 15-20 goal upside, but he is a 25 year old fringe-y type. We're not winning the lottery with this one. He's strong and a bull on the boards (so he should be a nice fit next to Horvat) but he also has extremely notable limitations (like skating). Better than Leipsic, but it's not going to move the needle in any way.

This was more a favour from Dubas to Leivo than anything. Dubas had promised Leivo that if he was at a point he couldn't get in the lineup, which was likely because Babcock hates him, that Dubas would move him somewhere he'd have a better shot. He did that.

Carcone was a nice little find for Utica. He probably tops out as a Leipsic-esque player, but Utica fans seemed to like him.

Reactions: lindgren

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I love these kind of stories where player x hasn't been given a chance to succeed at team y. Unfortunately we have had to many of these stories before and they have all ended in utter failure. Didn't Leipsic have the same background? Guy didn't get a chance... look at him now... now we grab another project.

Even if it does fail. We traded a career AHLer player for an NHL player. You make that trade 100 times out of 100 and hope that your lottery ticket hits.

Reactions: stampedingviking

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why oh why does this team always do things like give up younger assets for players not able to get regular icetime on their old team. Leivo sounds like every other 25 almost 26 year player who "just wasn't given a chance". It's not often you see a MArchessault wher that might actually apply. Usually there are reasons for a guy not being able to establish himself in a lineup beyond the 4th line.

Reactions: timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I’ve been watching Leivo very closely. He excels offensively in every situation. His shot, IQ and play on the boards is great, only weakness is that he can’t play the PK and that’s why Babcock didn’t play him. Babcock loves his bottom 9 forwards being able to play the PK. This is a solid deal and Leivo will break out if played next to EP or Horvat mark my words.

I'll take your word for it, but you can't blame anyone for defaulting to skepticism based on this team's track record with reclamation projects.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's a win for the Canucks, but let's not go overboard here. I think Leivo is solid and might have 15-20 goal upside, but he is a 25 year old fringe-y type. We're not winning the lottery with this one. He's strong and a bull on the boards (so he should be a nice fit next to Horvat) but he also has extremely notable limitations (like skating). Better than Leipsic, but it's not going to move the needle in any way.

This was more a favour from Dubas to Leivo than anything. Dubas had promised Leivo that if he was at a point he couldn't get in the lineup, which was likely because Babcock hates him, that Dubas would move him somewhere he'd have a better shot. He did that.

Carcone was a nice little find for Utica. He probably tops out as a Leipsic-esque player, but Utica fans seemed to like him.

It kinda sucks to always be negative, but it is a stunning indictment on Benning when this type of fringey trade is considered a GREAT move from Benning.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
"Only weakness" lmao. The guy is just as bad of a skater as Schaller is.

He'll probably be an upgrade over the garbage there is now but that isn't saying much.

This is very similar to the Shinkaruk-Granlund deal. High scoring Utica forward for a few years older fringe NHLer. Same age as Granlund - they will both be UFAs in 2020.

Sucks for Utica, and it would've been nice to see what they had in Carcone who had paid his dues in the organisation. Would've been a fast player too, opposite of Leivo who is another slow one.

Reactions: hillbilly hockey

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Lol all these leaf fans sound like Bruin fans talking about Schaller

Leivo stinks and won’t move the needle at all, the only plus here is we didn’t move a pick for more age gap junk

The negative is Utica is even worse off
You watch many leafs games?

He’s actually a decent player. Definitely some potential there. Not fair to write him off till he gets a fair shake at some real playing time. He’d never get that in Toronto.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

And you’ll likely be right. These trades/pickups do flame out far more often than they pan out. But every once in a while there’s a diamond in the rough. Just too bad the guy we have searching for it is Jim Benning.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Another team giving their younger forward a shot in a favorable position just like Leipsic last year. I'll take losing a AHLer over giving up a pick honestly, but it honestly sucks for Utica to lose another player.

I would guess Gaudette is heading down with Beagle playing Tuesday since they still have to make a move now that any space from waiving Leipsic is cancelled out by trading for Leivo.

Gaudette more than likely should go down to flourish in the AHL, and then someone else down when Sutter comes back and another when Baertschi works his way back (which could be a while, concussions suck)

So when fully healthy
Goldy-Petey-Boesy
Bae-Horvy-Rousy
Leivy-Sutty-Virty
Granny-Beagsy-4moreyearsy
Feel like I'm missing someone

Same shit defence and 2 backup goaliex

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Leivo seems like another gamble acquisition who was buried on another team’s depth chart and wasn’t getting playing time. Not they type of trade this management group has had a good track record with.

All for having some fresh blood into this stale lineup, but I would’ve preferred to just claim Zykov to have him as a project player without sacrificing a body from Utica. Especially since Carcone seemed to be finding his way nicely in the A.

Unless Leivo is a massive home run I don’t see him sticking around for that long either.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You watch many leafs games?

He’s actually a decent player. Definitely some potential there. Not fair to write him off till he gets a fair shake at some real playing time. He’d never get that in Toronto.
Go back into the woodwork Leaf fans, already seeing comments like "he's too good for the 4th line" lmao

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
Will be fascinating to see how this turns out.

It might be a Granlund-Shinkaruk 'win' where 'the guy played games for us' albeit as a fringe player.

Might also be an epic blunder as Carcone was easily the best forward in Utica right now. I don't like at all that we've traded him without seeing how his speed plays against NHL opposition.

Would have made a hell of a lot more sense to claim Zykov and keep Carcone.

Epic blunder?

Best forward?

You realize we’re discussing Carcone, right?

2 contracts out and 1 in are the best part of these moves which tells you all you need to know about Carcone and Lepsic

The fact that Leivo is the incoming contract should make these moves imune from criticism from a Canuck fan.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah this makes a lot of sense to me. Who cares if Carcone was good on Utica? His upside isn't what Leivo is now.. Getting rid of players like Carcone clears more playing time for actual prospects like Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich.

Leivo will be a better lineman for Horvat than Schaller or Loui.

CLear playing time for Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich? That playing time is already clear. They just aren't able to take that time because they have performed poorly in the AHL. Carcone was performing well and if his upside is that of Leivo then it really doesn't make a lot sense to make the deal. Leivo is 26 at seasons end...he is what he is. The upside for him is likely about what it is now.

Time will tell of course but given the past pro scouting, normal historical precedence around the league etc I wouldn't count on Leivo being anything more than Leipsic was. Meanwhile they somehow managed to weaken the farm even further.

And of course, an asset (no matter how minimal) was moved and doesn't actually address the biggest weakness. Still an atrocious blueline and the assets are running out to address it.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad