Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reading between the lines a bit (in terms of practice lines, defense pairings, injuries) I think we're going to see Gaudette stay up and maybe a defenseman be the one moved. Either Biega back down, or maybe it's time Pouliot or MDZ get waived/traded.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Leivo had 10 points in 13 games in 2016-2017.

He also had 18 points in 71 games over parts of FIVE other seasons.

If we can get that 2016-2017 version of him I'm stoked! Not holding my breath, though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Josh Leivo is probably everything we could hope Cole Lind to be after his rough start to pro hockey. Minus some passing ability maybe.

I'm not gonna say i've seen him a tonne because i haven't but when i did he wasn't a noticeably poor skater. Maybe lacked good first 3 steps but has a solid stride and is really strong on the walls and does a lot of things that the soft group of one and done lack of possession players we currently employ on the wings cannot which is protect the puck and win a board battle.

The sensible thing to do now is send Gaudette to Utica.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
This trade seems like a clear win for the Canucks, not sure why some people don't like this. Leivo has a chance to contribute on our roster...he apparently has good hockey IQ so can possibly play with Bo or Elias, Provides more options for Green to shuffle all 4 lines if someone isn't producing. (cough schaller) I also allows us to move Gaudette down to Utica soon giving him more ice time and giving them a center.

It's a win.

In addition, it adds some toughness to the lineup which everyone wants.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Schaller hadn't busted hard so far; and had Leipsic panned out; or Baertschi not gone down with what looks like a career-threatening injury; I doubt the Canucks make this move. But they desperately need left wingers who can play at the NHL-level. Gaudette probably ends up back in Utica now.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Leaf fan. I can't say I was ever a big fan of Leivo. He was given opportunities but never really showed much.

His skating and hockey IQ are what holds him back. Although he has a decent shot and decent size. Likely a career fourth liner or third line at best.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Leaf fan. I can't say I was ever a big fan of Leivo. He was given opportunities but never really showed much.

His skating and hockey IQ are what holds him back. Although he has a decent shot and decent size. Likely a career fourth liner or third line at best.

Sounds like the ideal Benning pickup. Sounds exactly like Emerson Etem.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Leivo will excel for you guys with the increased minutes and quality of linemates. He was just too far down the depth chart in Toronto to be given a real opportunity.

Does this Carcone kid have enough upside to eventually crack an NHL roster as a bottom 6 winger?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We just traded a lottery ticket for a quarter. Sure the expected value of the lottery ticket is lower but honestly who gives a f*** about getting a quarter when you need to hit a couple jackpots.

Leivo is the same as the rest of the 22-24 year old junk we’ve gotten from other teams. He’s not any better than a player you pick up on waivers or sign for nothing in the offseason. Sure Leivo most likely ends up with more games than Carcone but at least the later actually has some upside.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We just traded a lottery ticket for a quarter. Sure the expected value of the lottery ticket is lower but honestly who gives a **** about getting a quarter when you need to hit a couple jackpots.

Leivo is the same as the rest of the 22-24 year old junk we’ve gotten from other teams. He’s not any better than a player you pick up on waivers or sign for nothing in the offseason. Sure Leivo most likely ends up with more games than Carcone but at least the later actually has some upside.

He actually is different because he's already 25. Will be 26 by the end of the season.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I think Leivo will excel for you guys with the increased minutes and quality of linemates. He was just too far down the depth chart in Toronto to be given a real opportunity.

Does this Carcone kid have enough upside to eventually crack an NHL roster as a bottom 6 winger?

Leivo has dressed in every game this year. He's played with Kadri and a few shifts with Matthews if I recall. Also plays the 2nd PP.

Short of sticking him with Taveres and Marner he's had his chances and hasnt showed anything really.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah this makes a lot of sense to me. Who cares if Carcone was good on Utica? His upside isn't what Leivo is now.. Getting rid of players like Carcone clears more playing time for actual prospects like Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich.

Leivo will be a better lineman for Horvat than Schaller or Loui.

Why would you say that?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Gadjovich should be in the ECHL. He is completely overwhelmed in the AHL and more minutes is the last thing he needs. Forcing him into the AHL because of a lack of decent depth isn't doing anyone a favour.

Pretty much a Benning special trade. Give up a prospect for a nothing NHLer when comparable players are available on waivers. Biggest loser is the Comets.
Well gaudette is most likely going ti get demoted as well so carcone isnt much of a loss plus the nhl team comes first and leivo is a good player

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm in the 'this is strange' camp.

In isolation, if the team were legitimately vying for a playoff spot this year, making a move like this makes sense to patch a hole and add depth.

But this is one of the worst teams in the league that is not realistically competing for at least two more seasons, maybe longer. Giving up a player who has made progress and will be in his prime when the team is competing again for a player who they will be paying UFA dollars to and will be on the downswing of his career at the same time doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Leivo has basically been Reid Boucher to date, and both are the same age, and the Canucks have passed on players like Zykov and Aberg who are young enough to be part of the next core who could have been given the same minutes Levio will be getting. Even if the team likes Leivo more, the age difference should push the decision in the other direction.

Plus, given how atrocious the team's pro scouting has been, they don't get the benefit of the doubt in this case. Too many assets pissed away for crappy pet projects to trust they've made the right decision here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great to hear positives from Leaf fans regarding this player...I don't have a problem with changing things up..(especially on the wing)...I'll reserve my judgement on Leivo,until I see him play.

Reactions: geebaan

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Don't think I like it, but it's first impressions. Nothing particularly wrong with Leivo, and Carcone was and is a long shot, but I could have seen him pushing to be part of a new-NHL fourth line in the next few years, and cheaply. Ah well.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Dont think Carcone will crack an average NHL lineup..maybe a bad NHL lineup. Maybee.

Underzied...good motor and good touch around the net tho.

I dont see him making it as 4th line NHLer. If he makes it then its on 3rd line.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Best thing about this trade: he never played for the winter hawks.

The worst thing: He played for Trent Cull in Sudbury.

I believe someone posted the ratio of Benning acquisitions that had a tie to one of Green/Willie/Weisbrod/Benning a few years ago and it was just ridiculous.

And I believe this is before we brought in Pouliot, Leipsic, and now Leivo. Just insane.

I'll look into this later but I wouldn't be surprised if Benning literally never acquired a player that either

A) was affiliated with the coach/agm/gm/ahlcoach
B) didn't have some sort of pedigree like being a 1st rounder or winning a cup

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Levio only issue is he is inconsistent, he will play really well for 3 games and then disappear for 2 games. If Green can figure out how to get Levio to play hard every night, you got a nice player for nothing.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I don't like that we traded a young guy, no matter who, in order to get more depth, but it's all going to depend on how Leivo looks with the Canucks IMO. On the surface, I like this trade and the potential upside of more winger depth which we desperately needed. Unfortunately, that also comes with the loss of Leipsic so a loss of winger depth.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Don't think I like it, but it's first impressions. Nothing particularly wrong with Leivo, and Carcone was and is a long shot, but I could have seen him pushing to be part of a new-NHL fourth line in the next few years, and cheaply. Ah well.

With Jim Benning as GM you will never hear the words cheap and 4th liner in the same sentence.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What are the expectations for levio? Are we talking if all goes well another baertschi or much higher?

I’m seeing comments that while a good shot has low iq and questionable foot speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad