Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What cities are you referring to then? Vegas and Nashville are the only 2 I can think of with reputable nightlife that for sure would trump Vancouver's.
New York, Montreal, Toronto, Vegas, Nashville, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami. Bigger cities tend to have much more expansive options particularly if the downtown stays densly populated (which is an issue with some larger American cities). This carries over to not just clubs but the varied options in nightlife events and festivals those cities host.

NYC pretty much blows everyone else out of the water when it comes to fine dining/nightlife/culture. Don't know how you would list Vegas and Nashville as the only ones clearly ahead of Vancouver.

Reactions: lawrence

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
New York state also has 30 million people.

My point of contention was a poster said Vancouver has a 'sleepy nightlife' - I dont follow the logic it's a city known for the opposite.

What cities are you referring to then? Vegas and Nashville are the only 2 I can think of with reputable nightlife that for sure would trump Vancouver's.

That was your post that there were only 2 cities with a reputable nightlife better than Vancouver. I pointed out one that has a far greater nightlife and three teams. I didn't even go down the list. Compared to just NHL teams Vancouver's nightlife would be considered bottom half maybe even bottom third. I wouldn't call it a sleepy nightlife but I don't consider Vancouver having a reputation for its nightlife.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
1st domino is Virtanen,

next is sutter buyout,

then Hoffman signing

then Ferland on LTIR at beginning of season

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown

My point of contention was a poster said Vancouver has a 'sleepy nightlife' - I dont follow the logic it's a city known for the opposite.
Vancouver definitely has a sleepy nightlife. The nightlife here is garbage. Vancouver is pretty much lights out after 10pm

Clubs and bars are mediocre compared to most major North American cities

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Vancouver is absolutely not known for it's nightlife. It's garbage. Are there places to go and get drunk and listen to garbage music like a teenager? Sure. But it lacks live music, festivals, art, culture. Vancouver's nightlife is niched for 19-25 yr olds. If you're over 30, this city is made more for retirement.

I'd rather a night out in (I've been to these places): Seattle, Portland, LA, Nashville, NYx2, Montreal, Toronto, SF, Chicago easily. Even moreso, a night out in Europe where the scene isn't *just* kids getting trashed.

Reactions: m9

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed except with the sleepy nightlife comment. I'm way too old anyways but Vancouver is known to have a good nightlife.

Seriously? I'm young(ish), live in Vancouver and the nightlife is average at best. Nowhere near Montreal or Toronto (Canadian comparables).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Totally fine contract. Does show how cheap Mikheyev signed though - I know he’s less proven, but IMO Mikheyev is better than this fatty, and he signed for significantly less.

Reactions: Lilou

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Taking selfie videos while driving, you're acting like it was a parking ticket.
I thought they weren't allowed doing that, not because of government Covid rules but NHL ones.
And I mean his nickname Shotgun Jake :laugh: I don't think you need to act as if he's some good boy, if you ask any Canucks fan which player gets into the most trouble etc they're all going to say Jake. I like him and would like him on the Rangers, I'm just saying I think these issues would come up during arbitration

1. He didn't even get a ticket, yes it was stupid, but he's young, young people make mistakes like this, let's move on. Also what NHL rule dictates that you can't take selfie videos?

2. His nickname stems from a game that fans play, when he scores we shotgun a beer, has nothing to do with him being a partier. His nickname within the team is Tuna.

Perhaps you should do more research you don't seem to know what your talking about.

Reactions: bh53

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Put him on the irst or second line for a long while. He could very well produce at a good rate and we could either trade him for something good on the blueline, or keep him knowing that he can at least produce like a top 6 forward.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015

If you think Vancouver has a really vibrant and exciting nightlife scene compared to other big cities in the North America, I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a good reason Vancouver has a reputation for being called "no fun city".

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver has a decent night life scene absolutely nothing compared to Vegas or any of the big cities in the United States, like give me a damn break. We only have one strip club in downtown, and the night life is only vibrant on Friday and Saturday nights.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Was worried as hell he or his agency pushing for Alex tuch money. Hope he comes into camp in shape.

I bet any normal offseason, he probably would have gotten that money... flat cap is keeping contracts very reasonable this offseason everywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad