Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I hope he is ok, especially outside of hockey. The fact remains he is not “healthy” right now.

He has not proven that, and you can even tell from his agents comments he is not convinced Ferland will play again this season.
He is healthy right now, and plans to start the season. Most of us assume he'll experience symptoms within a few games, but at the moment he is healthy and this won't be tested in any way until training camp.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
His agent and Benning aren't so sure. They did it with Malhotra, they can do it with Ferland.

Canucks: Micheal Ferland’s NHL future is up in the air | The Province.
It could neutralize the Luongo cap-recapture. Could he just not switch agents and say bugger you i want to play. Does the team actually have the ability to hold him out? I don't think it works that way. A doctor has to clear him so ultimately its the doctors call no? Is it a team doctor? can a player get a second doctors opinion if he thinks he's getting railroaded?

These are good questions that I'd love to know the answer too!

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Did you really just use a driving citation to bash a player? Like no NHL player has ever got a ticket?
Also, JV broke absolutely no Covid rules when he went to a club. Was it the best judgement? probably not, but was 100% allowed at the time.

FYI, his nickname "Big Tuna" is a reference from the Office, he got it when he was in Utica.
Taking selfie videos while driving, you're acting like it was a parking ticket.
I thought they weren't allowed doing that, not because of government Covid rules but NHL ones.
And I mean his nickname Shotgun Jake :laugh: I don't think you need to act as if he's some good boy, if you ask any Canucks fan which player gets into the most trouble etc they're all going to say Jake. I like him and would like him on the Rangers, I'm just saying I think these issues would come up during arbitration

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
He is healthy right now, and plans to start the season. Most of us assume he'll experience symptoms within a few games, but at the moment he is healthy and this won't be tested in any way until training camp.

Most of us assume he'll go on LTIR as per the link in the 2nd post above yours.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Ferland makes sense. I'd also imagine Baertschi will be sent down again, and I'm sort of hoping Eriksson will too.

Rutta or Koekkoek would be great additions, but I feel that Juolevi and/or Rafferty and/or Rathbone will be our 6/7 D to start the year.

I don't know that we can buy out Sutter though, I thought the buyout window was only reopened if our RFA files for arbitration (check), we agree to the arbitrators decision (not as check?) and it is above 4 million (this might be a rumour spreading around, I haven't been able to verify it...if true no check).

according to cap friendly:

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2020 offseason

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

so by this Canucks don’t have one as virtanen didn’t go to arbitration. But I swear I’ve seen journalists on Twitter say it’s when he signs regardless of it going to arbitration and that being a reason to delay signing virtanen. Reason to the delay in signing being that it gives them more time to find a trade instead

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pretty cheap
Remember when he formed a draft trio with Ehlers and Nylander?
Ritchie was in that same tier. I remember every fanbase drafting in that range all debated how to rank the 4 wingers lol

I wanted Ehlers badly lol, I think Jake was my 2nd choice

Reactions: jetsforever

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Taking selfie videos while driving, you're acting like it was a parking ticket.
I thought they weren't allowed doing that, not because of government Covid rules but NHL ones.
And I mean his nickname Shotgun Jake :laugh: I don't think you need to act as if he's some good boy, if you ask any Canucks fan which player gets into the most trouble etc they're all going to say Jake. I like him and would like him on the Rangers, I'm just saying I think these issues would come up during arbitration

I agree that he has some immaturity issues over the years, no doubt about that at all. The narrative on these boards has taken on a life of it's own though. His issues are very minor in the big picture, people trying to make him out like he is some troubled kid and locker room cancer just isn't accurate. I've watched pretty well near every second of every game of this kids career so far and you can tell that he is well liked by his teammates and is a good team guy, despite what HF would have you believe. I'm not saying this contract isn't shit or get off the pot time though, I do agree with that.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
It could neutralize the Luongo cap-recapture. Could he just not switch agents and say bugger you i want to play. Does the team actually have the ability to hold him out? I don't think it works that way. A doctor has to clear him so ultimately its the doctors call no? Is it a team doctor? can a player get a second doctors opinion if he thinks he's getting railroaded?

These are good questions that I'd love to know the answer too!

A healthy Ferland is exactly what this team needs. Ideally he comes to camp in good health and is the player the Canucks signed last summer, he was a good add at a good price. Sadly though I can't see that happening. Worst case for the canucks is he is healthy enough to play, but a shell of himself.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Ritchie was in that same tier. I remember every fanbase drafting in that range all debated how to rank the 4 wingers lol

I wanted Ehlers badly lol, I think Jake was my 2nd choice
I had nylander and ehlers in a tier of their own. I’d flip between the 2 but mostly wanted nylander. Virtanen and Ritchie I had a tier below and was hoping to god were not in consideration. I flopped between these 2 as well. I leaned towards virtanen due to the speed but no way I wanted him at 6. I knew nylander/ehlers were there and would have been happy with either

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Assuming we waive Loui and Baertschi to Utica, we will have about a half million to bring in 2 players to get to the 23 man lineup.

1 F/1 D

F Hoglander 900k
F Hawryluk 800k

D Juolevi 900k
D Rafferty/Saunter 700k

We will need to make a move to make it work, but that is fully expected.

I would send Eriksson to the ECHL, maybe if they make his life uncomfortable enough, he'll pack it in.

Fair deal for Virtanen though.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
They have 48 hours to buyout.I feel baertschi will be buried and hawryluk takes his spot creating another 275k in space
oops yes 50k lol

Jakes signs, jake traded for a 2nd for cap dump and lesser player. Hawryluk takes his place, Ferland is LTIR and in comes Hoffman.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
So apparently dhaliwal said the Canucks plan to have a heart to heart with ferland and he may end up on ltir after that.

Doesn’t sound like a buyouts coming.

Also:

Guess they do get a 24 hour window

One would hope they already had that heart to heart, because if they can't convince him, they very well may need to use that buyout option

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad