Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Good deal for a 20 goal/40 point player. I expect he slots into our top 6 this year and improves his production. I thought he'd be between 2.25 and 2.75, so all good. I believe he is still RFA on expiry.

3.5 for him and Gaudette. I was expecting 4 total for them.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'll put it this way: its very unlikely he will underperform this. If the fit isnt there, he will be easy to move. Expires at RFA... will be interesting to see the salary structure and what his QO will have to be.

Nucks just over 1.5m above the cap (with a full roster). Burying a guy would get them about 500k over the cap... you can only bury one contract, right? I feel like Benn could be moveable, or they could retain on one of their guys.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Pretty decent IMO. Where does this leave Vancouver in terms of the cap?
Assuming we waive Loui and Baertschi to Utica, we will have about a half million to bring in 2 players to get to the 23 man lineup.

1 F/1 D

F Hoglander 900k
F Hawryluk 800k

D Juolevi 900k
D Rafferty/Saunter 700k

We will need to make a move to make it work, but that is fully expected.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So many people have hate goggles on every time they look at Virtanen. I swear in Vancouver it’s like all rational conversation evaporates as soon as his name comes up.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
That's a decent deal.

Does anyone know if the 2nd buyout window is still an option for the Canucks if they agreed to the deal before the hearing? Wondering if they have the buyout option or they have the belief that Ferland is LTIR and/or they can bury part of Baertschi's cap hit.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Brent Burns Beard