Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
no Sutter buyout since there is now no buyout window for us because Jake didn’t go to arbitration. I think the teams top 6 forwards will have to be the same last seasons.

The language around the 2nd buyout window is a bit tricky but I believe that this signing counts as "settling" the arbitration case, and thus the 2nd window DOES open

from CapFriendly

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

This falls under the first category. If the Canucks were to go to arbitration, Virtanen would be "awarded" a new contract, thus falling under the second category

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The language around the 2nd buyout window is a bit tricky but I believe that this signing counts as "settling" the arbitration case, and thus the 2nd window DOES open

from CapFriendly

This falls under the first category. If the Canucks were to go to arbitration, Virtanen would be "awarded" a new contract, thus falling under the second category

the only player we can use this on is Brandon Sutter, I prefer him as a 3rd liner right now, unless we are freeing up his salary for a meaningful transaction. But I don't trust Jim Benning anymore when it comes too UFA. We'll see.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
the only player we can use this on is Brandon Sutter, I prefer him as a 3rd liner right now, unless we are freeing up his salary for a meaningful transaction. But I don't trust Jim Benning anymore when it comes too UFA. We'll see.

Not sure if Benning will have a choice, unless he moves other money out. Ferland is presumptively 'healthy', wants to go to camp and can't be placed on LTIR unless/until later.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

There may be some other gymnastics to ice a cap compliant roster, but buying out Sutter is the most obvious one

Not my personal preference either, would rather retain 50% to avoid dead cap for next year. But I don't see many takers for him, even at 50%

And I think I get where you're coming from ~ be awfully weak down the middle without him as well. One injury and things get awful dicey

Ideally, Benning would have been more proactive ~ even if you had to pay something like a 2nd to clear Sutter's full cap hit, you could have made a move or two to shore up your depth earlier in the offseason

Oh well...

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver does not have a great night life.

I couldn't give less of a shit about nightlife, and Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world.

Carry on with the strange debate.

Our night life consists of going to Cactus Club / Earls happy hour.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I spent 3 nights this year in Montreal. It’s way better for nightlife than Vancouver(where I live). I cannot speak for Toronto. After the Leafs-Canucks game we didn’t go out much cause we had a 6am flight home, and that was our only night in Toronto.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Not sure if Benning will have a choice, unless he moves other money out. Ferland is presumptively 'healthy', wants to go to camp and can't be placed on LTIR unless/until later.
What about Baertschi, think they might try to unload him..he really does not have a spot in the line up..His cap is 3 mill I think..

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I spent 3 nights this year in Montreal. It’s way better for nightlife than Vancouver(where I live). I cannot speak for Toronto. After the Leafs-Canucks game we didn’t go out much cause we had a 6am flight home, and that was our only night in Toronto.[/QUOTE

Well the Raptors don't play 1 pm Sunday matinee games so they can go to afternoon mass. It was a very poorly kept secret in the NBA that most visiting teams had a little trouble with the 1 pm start time due to the Saturday night nightlife in Toronto.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What about Baertschi, think they might try to unload him..he really does not have a spot in the line up..His cap is 3 mill I think..

We will probably waive him again like we did last year. That said it is a contract year for him, so he might up his play to show his stuff to other potential teams.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Vancouver does not have a great night life.

I couldn't give less of a shit about nightlife, and Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world.

Carry on with the strange debate.

Vancouver would be on the bottom half of the league's teams for "exciting, cultural destination cities". I'd easily rather NY (any of the 3 teams, even the Isles), LA (either of the two teams locations), Chicago, D.C., Philly, Miami, Boston, Toronto, Tampa, Nashville, LV, Montreal, and soon Seattle for a night out. San Jose kind of sucks, but if you can count San Francisco as within its commutable distance I'd include that too.

The "nightlife" here are Coal Harbour penthouse parties hosted by the Chinese or British Properties mansion events hosted by the Iranians overlooking the ocean. Going to a public establishment just means paying through the nose for shitty food and alcohol to look at girls. And I don't even mean the strip club.

That said, Vancouver is arguably the most comfortably livable city in the continent, especially for someone reasonably wealthy (middling NHLers) and not ultra-rich (NBA superstars), who would probably pine for more attention and events.

Aside from the tax implications I've generally felt/observed most players would not mind signing here, and I would totally speculate it likely makes an averange NHL FA's top 10 destinations and quite possibly the most preferred Canadian destination. If a player can comfortably pick up a new 3BR condo by the water downtown or a home in Point Grey, it definitely is a pretty swank place to live.

Ok, thread derail over. Good signing for JV. Still pissed about losing Toffoli (and Madden) for nothing. I feel like they'll be able to figure out the cap situation this season. Wonder how we adjudicate the season to season change for now that JV is no longer on the casualty list; lost Markstrom/Tanev/Stetcher/Toffoli, gained Holtby/Schmidt.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Everyone in the league passed on him in waivers for free. I could be wrong but I doubt he is moved by trade now. His contract will get buried, saving about 1M.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Benning has done a good job of setting this team up for the long haul, with cap flexibility to build around our core after next season. He is not going to push our cap issues into the future, even if it means taking a step back this upcoming year. I'd be pretty shocked if he bought out Sutter. There is still at least two months left in the offseason, plenty of time to add a bottom six D and another winger through trades.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning has done a good job of setting this team up for the long haul, with cap flexibility to build around our core after next season. He is not going to push our cap issues into the future, even if it means taking a step back this upcoming year. I'd be pretty shocked if he bought out Sutter. There is still at least two months left in the offseason, plenty of time to add a bottom six D and another winger through trades.
Will there be another buyout window, or is this one (soon to be) the only chance to buyout Sutter?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Will there be another buyout window, or is this one (soon to be) the only chance to buyout Sutter?
As far as I know the last buyout period opens in 2 days and is open for 24 hours. Sutter and LE are the only ones that qualify. LE saves us very little, not really any more than burrying him in Utica. Sutter saves us 2 mill this year, costs us 1 next year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Vancouver has a decent night life scene absolutely nothing compared to Vegas or any of the big cities in the United States, like give me a damn break. We only have one strip club in downtown, and the night life is only vibrant on Friday and Saturday nights.
If your going to Vancouver to be inside you have problems that goes for every city with a view.also nobody comes to Vancouver to only go to Vancouver.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
He had a pretty good year last year he still needs to learn consistency.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
$100 Jake comes to camp in the worst shape of his pro career lol. Guy just doesn't have the mental capacity and drive to devote his life to hockey. What does he get rewarded with? Millions of bucks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad