Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
$100 Jake comes to camp in the worst shape of his pro career lol. Guy just doesn't have the mental capacity and drive to devote his life to hockey. What does he get rewarded with? Millions of bucks!

I would take this bet, and raise the amount if:

1) I could trust you
2) you could quantify “worst shape”

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The language around the 2nd buyout window is a bit tricky but I believe that this signing counts as "settling" the arbitration case, and thus the 2nd window DOES open

from CapFriendly

This falls under the first category. If the Canucks were to go to arbitration, Virtanen would be "awarded" a new contract, thus falling under the second category

I am pretty sure the NHLPA would be more than willing to fight you on this as this was a negotiated contract not an arbitration awarded settlement. The key here will be the cases of past buy outs and if any were done in the second window when a player has negotiated a contract before arbitration. I honestly cannot think of one case where a team has used the second buy out in the case. They have with Arbitration awarded contracts after it has gone to the arbitrator or traded a player who was going to arb.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
$100 Jake comes to camp in the worst shape of his pro career lol. Guy just doesn't have the mental capacity and drive to devote his life to hockey. What does he get rewarded with? Millions of bucks!

The guy comes in out of shape to every camp. This is not a bold take.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
On pace for 43 points and some people are saying its an overpayment?

nice little contract to see if he becomes something more moving to the years ahead.
I like the HF standard of “ on pace for”. Former Canuck Brendan Guance scored 1 point in 1 game this year for the Bruins . I mean on pace for 82 points..

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
In retrospect hes losing out on millions of dollars by not taking his career more seriously. If he had the drive of someone like Pettersson with his tools he should be getting way way more.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I am pretty sure the NHLPA would be more than willing to fight you on this as this was a negotiated contract not an arbitration awarded settlement. The key here will be the cases of past buy outs and if any were done in the second window when a player has negotiated a contract before arbitration. I honestly cannot think of one case where a team has used the second buy out in the case. They have with Arbitration awarded contracts after it has gone to the arbitrator or traded a player who was going to arb.

Then why make the listing of the two different options?

Nope, I'm fairly certain negotiating a new contract with a player headed to arbitration is considered a settlement. Makes sense to me when I think about it ~ when the two sides of legal proceedings make a deal before trial, it's considered a settlement as well

And the outcome if it did go to arbitration is considered an award.

Put far more simply, a second buyout window opens no matter what after a player elects arbitration. It's unclear whether the Canucks will use that option, and there are restrictions on *who* they can buy out, but yeah

Another point is very few cases actually go to arbitration

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad