Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
It could neutralize the Luongo cap-recapture. Could he just not switch agents and say bugger you i want to play. Does the team actually have the ability to hold him out? I don't think it works that way. A doctor has to clear him so ultimately its the doctors call no? Is it a team doctor? can a player get a second doctors opinion if he thinks he's getting railroaded?

These are good questions that I'd love to know the answer too!

Understanding is if the player and the team disagree, an independent medical expert is brought in as a health mediator to then determine the players
state of health, something something from the union.

Reactions: Hockey Rush

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Reasonable deal. I think most of us Canucks fans have reverse homer goggles on when it comes to Virtanen. So much potential but I don't think he'll reach it in his home town (if ever).

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
crazy he got a million more than Soup considering he was a 4th liner/healthy scratch down the line.

I guess you gotta overpay when you're not a very desirable place to play....

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
according to cap friendly:

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2020 offseason

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

so by this Canucks don’t have one as virtanen didn’t go to arbitration. But I swear I’ve seen journalists on Twitter say it’s when he signs regardless of it going to arbitration and that being a reason to delay signing virtanen. Reason to the delay in signing being that it gives them more time to find a trade instead

Well that certainly makes a lot more sense. Thank you for looking it up.

Shame, but I suppose it means Sutter (I can't imagine who else) being back on the roster for the 2 ish million we'd save isn't the end of the world, assuming other moves aren't made. Baer, and maybe Eriksson, being in the minors and Ferland on the LTIR will clear enough cap to crystalize the roster then.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
crazy he got a million more than Soup considering he was a 4th liner/healthy scratch down the line.

Crazy that he got more money than a 26yr old with 23 points and 0 points in the playoffs. Guess you have to gloat over mediocrity when your team can’t make it past the first round

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Crazy that he got more money than a 26yr old with 23 points and 0 points in the playoffs. Guess you have to gloat over mediocrity when your team can’t make it past the first round

Technically they didn’t even make the playoffs this year. If I was him I’d worry about all my superstars playoff no shows.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

lol what?! Vancouver is a preferred destation. Players want to live here.
There aren't many better cities in the NHL to go to

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Ferland is healthy and is ready for camp. We can't just put him on LTIR.

I'm not so sure he is healthy at this point:

Per Patrick Johnston of the Vancouver Province, Ferland’s agent, Jason Davidson, said that Ferland is hopeful about returning in 2020-21.
“His health is the priority,” Davidson said. “We’re going to make sure we’re dialled in on whether Micheal is fit to play or not. We can’t keep doing this.

Source: Canucks: Latest on Brandon Sutter, Micheal Ferland and the Matt Dumba rumours

Reactions: CanuckCity

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lol what?! Vancouver is a preferred destation. Players want to live here.
There aren't many better cities in the NHL to go to
Really depends on what your criteria is, since the criteria for each player isn't universal. I've been to Van, and it probably wouldn't make my top 10 in the league, but I can also see why it would have appeal to others (I don't care about mountains, hikes, biking, etc).

But, I absolutely wouldn't classify Van as an undesirable market. Its only major knock is probably taxes, and its nightlife is a bit sleepier compared to some other markets. Now, it's outdoors is arguably unmatched.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Virtanen season predictions!

Which line will he play on?
1st line 30%
2nd line 20%
3rd line 35%
4th line 15%

Coaching feedback?
1 time healthy scratch
3 times thrown under bus by Green
5 times extremely glowing praises by Green

Stats?
Will put up minimum 20 goals and 40 points

Net effect?
More beer for Jake to shotgun. More grey hair for Green.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Really depends on what your criteria is, since the criteria for each player isn't universal. I've been to Van, and it probably wouldn't make my top 10 in the league, but I can also see why it would have appeal to others (I don't care about mountains, hikes, biking, etc).

But, I absolutely wouldn't classify Van as an undesirable market. Its only major knock is probably taxes, and its nightlife is a bit sleepier compared to some other markets. Now, it's outdoors is arguably unmatched.

Agreed except with the sleepy nightlife comment. I'm way too old anyways but Vancouver is known to have a good nightlife.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed except with the sleepy nightlife comment. I'm way too old anyways but Vancouver is known to have a good nightlife.
I’d say it’s sleepy when compared to a lot of the other major NHL markets, or the two bigger Canadian cities in Toronto and MTL. But I’d also group in fine dining, festivals, theatres, etc and other non-nightclub events into Nightlife.

BORAT53

Oct 22, 2020
Coquitlam
Not bad, less than what would be the asking price as a free agent. But the reason I want him here is because minus the fact he's from the Lower Mainland, he shows dedication to the city the same way Trevor Linden does.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
This is a an ok to good deal. I really like Jake, and feel that he has steadily worked to become a better and more well-rounded player.

His playoffs were not good, as he seemed to come into the bubble out of shape (again). Regular season Jake was quite a bit better for the most part.

I feel as though he needs to get away from Vancity to really flourish. His "friends" really hold him back and are a major distraction. He seems like a genuine gullible person, and gets into trouble, but I believe he's good a heart.

Skates like the wind, hits like a mac truck, and has a laser release. He puts it together, and you have a heck of a power forward.

I hope that he can do it here, but it'll be tough.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

Kinda like paying Kerfoot 3.5 a season to not play center with any degree of competency.

Every Vancouver fan on these boards knows how critical I am of Benning but this is a good signing. Didn't over pay and a 2 year contract makes him an exposable player in the expansion draft. There is value in that. Maybe Benning has learned you don't need to give 3rd line/4th line players 4 to 5 year deals.

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I’d say it’s sleepy when compared to a lot of the other major NHL markets, or the two bigger Canadian cities in Toronto and MTL. But I’d also group in fine dining, festivals, theatres, etc and other non-nightclub events into Nightlife.

What cities are you referring to then? Vegas and Nashville are the only 2 I can think of with reputable nightlife that for sure would trump Vancouver's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad