Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jake Virtanen (2 Years, $2.55M AAV)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Lol at people getting pissed at someone saying it’s too much
I’m going to assume some of you just listing his stats have no idea about the plethora of off ice and character issues. Dude looks like he belongs in fat camp every time he comes to training camp, gets fined for distracted driving, and breaks quarantine protocol to go to night clubs. His nickname is based on him being a drunk lmao
I like him but this is a very fair deal because those issues have to be taken into account

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
That's a decent deal.

Does anyone know if the 2nd buyout window is still an option for the Canucks if they agreed to the deal before the hearing? Wondering if they have the buyout option or they have the belief that Ferland is LTIR and/or they can bury part of Baertschi's cap hit.
They have 48 hours to buyout. Only option is sutter as 2nd window is only players making a minimum 4M.

if they are confident ferland is done, no need to as with 22 players that puts them at 79.5M. 2M to sign a #5 d. Obviously they don’t want to use the full 2M, but I feel baertschi will be buried and hawrlyuk takes his spot creating another 275k in space

oops yes 50k lol

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Can the Canucks still buyout Sutter to become cap compliant if neccessary? Or no because the contract wasn't awarded through the actual arbitration?

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
“Healthy” he’s been healthy like 4 times... for one game at a time.
Yes but you can't bet he won't be healthy for longer. Lol. that is terrible PR. If we are even with the cap with sven and eriksson in the ahl. We can maybe see how he holds up. Sounds like they want to add another top 6 caliber forward tho.

Expecting him to get hurt isn't fair to him at all lol. Ferly is a good guy.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I mean so was Mikheyev...

I love the value we’re getting with Mikheyev but it’s not really comparable. Had he played nearly 70 games like Virtanen he’d be in the $2 millions as well, never mind the additional NHL experience before this year and draft pedigree.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Yes but you can't bet he won't be healthy for longer. Lol. that is terrible PR. If we are even with the cap with sven and eriksson in the ahl. We can maybe see how he holds up. Sounds like they want to add another top 6 caliber forward tho.

Expecting him to get hurt isn't fair to him at all lol. Ferly is a good guy.

I hope he is ok, especially outside of hockey. The fact remains he is not “healthy” right now.

He has not proven that, and you can even tell from his agents comments he is not convinced Ferland will play again this season.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Lol at people getting pissed at someone saying it’s too much
I’m going to assume some of you just listing his stats have no idea about the plethora of off ice and character issues. Dude looks like he belongs in fat camp every time he comes to training camp, gets fined for distracted driving, and breaks quarantine protocol to go to night clubs. His nickname is based on him being a drunk lmao
I like him but this is a very fair deal because those issues have to be taken into account

Did you really just use a driving citation to bash a player? Like no NHL player has ever got a ticket?
Also, JV broke absolutely no Covid rules when he went to a club. Was it the best judgement? probably not, but was 100% allowed at the time.

FYI, his nickname "Big Tuna" is a reference from the Office, he got it when he was in Utica.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
My guess no one. Ferland ltir leaves 2M in space and we sign rutta or koekkoek.

If we buyout sutter I expect hamonic or vatanen to be a canuck.

Ferland LTIR

Ferland makes sense. I'd also imagine Baertschi will be sent down again, and I'm sort of hoping Eriksson will too.

Rutta or Koekkoek would be great additions, but I feel that Juolevi and/or Rafferty and/or Rathbone will be our 6/7 D to start the year.

I don't know that we can buy out Sutter though, I thought the buyout window was only reopened if our RFA files for arbitration (check), we agree to the arbitrators decision (not as check?) and it is above 4 million (this might be a rumour spreading around, I haven't been able to verify it...if true no check).

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Pretty decent IMO. Where does this leave Vancouver in terms of the cap?

They are technically over the cap, but can get to even by playing with a 20 or 21 man roster I believe.

I have no idea what there plan is for next year.

They need to extend Demko, Petetrsson, Hughes, and Gaudette with 24M in cap space before you count and bonus overage carryover

Probably some buyouts required next summer to get things under control

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Did you really just use a driving citation to bash a player? Like no NHL player has ever got a ticket?
Also, JV broke absolutely no Covid rules when he went to a club. Was it the best judgement? probably not, but was 100% allowed at the time.

FYI, his nickname "Big Tuna" is a reference from the Office, he got it when he was in Utica.

Yeah, I really don't get this narrative here.

Young-20-something-Cogburn wouldn't have had an issue going to a legally open night club, following guidelines and rules. There for older Cogburn sees no issue with it. Did he drunkenly crash his car? Did he get caught with a sex worker in public? Did he get caught injecting smack into his eyeballs? Did he fight anyone? Did he start licking the faces of patrons of the club he was at?...Was he even "uncivil" or "not nice" when someone recognized him?

No?

Cool.

Totally on board with you here, BCNate.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That's a good deal by the Canucks. Expectation for me was that they were going to have to pay around 3 or so.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad