Raptors Discussion: v57|The long, short run to the end of the season (and playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
How long is our GM under contract?

Thanks

According to the Toronto Star, the Toronto Raptors signed GM Masai Ujiri to a 5 year contract in 2013.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/05/31/masai_ujiri_new_toronto_raptors_gm_sources.html

Fri May 31 2013

If there is one trait Masai Ujiri has shown above all others in his short career as the key decision-maker with an NBA franchise, it’s patience.

And after a rather protracted but not unusual period weighing job offers, the 42-year-old Nigerian-born Ujiri has given the Raptors what they want.

Ujiri, the NBA’s executive of the year with the Denver Nuggets, took a week to decide but formally agreed Friday to accept a lucrative Raptors offer to become the fifth general manager in the team’s 19-year history.

“I’m coming,†Ujiri said in a text message late Friday afternoon, ending speculation about whether or not he would take a Toronto offer for a five-year contract that some reports suggest will be worth nearly $15 million.

Ujiri, whose seminal moment as executive vice-president of basketball operations in Denver was waiting out the New York Knicks for weeks in a franchise-altering trade involving all-star Carmelo Anthony, replaces Bryan Colangelo at the top of the basketball chain with the Raptors.

But in a situation unprecedented in recent NBA history, Colangelo remains an integral figure with the Raptors, serving as team president while ceding control of ultimate basketball decisions to a man he once hired as director of global scouting.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

if dolan rejects jackson’s recommendation, there could be chaos and crisis at the home office.

To dolan’s credit, he is giving himself a safety net for when jackson’s contract expires in two seasons or if jackson decides to step away or is fired before his deal runs out.

among the list of potential successors is believed to be toronto raptors gm masai ujiri, the highly regarded africa-born executive who has an interesting history with dolan.

The two worked on the anthony trade when ujiri worked for the denver nuggets. Ujiri also traded andrea bargnani to the knicks for this year’s first-round pick and was prepared to trade kyle lowry to new york a few seasons ago before dolan vetoed the move.

So clearly, this falls under the category, “if you can’t beat him, hire him.â€

it’s also worth noting that ujiri was originally brought to toronto by tim leiweke, former ceo of anschutz entertainment group (aeg) and maple leaf sports & entertainment (mlse). Leiweke has since left toronto and has started a business with azoff. There’s that man again.

Ujiri is under contract for two more years so even if he wanted to leave toronto there is no guarantee the raptors would let him out of his deal. But that’s not the point. What’s interesting is that dolan is already working on a back-up plan while jackson’s builds a case for keeping rambis.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sounds like Bryan Colangelo is the next 76er's GM. Marc Stein says it is imminent.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sounds like Bryan Colangelo is the next 76er's GM. Marc Stein says it is imminent.

Now he can take all that young talent, trade it for overpriced broken veterans, and watch the team surge into a playoff spot (Which looks awesome) before it falls apart at the seams and requires a tear-down to fix properly (which looks bad.)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

You saw this coming the moment his dad was brought in as a advisor. The NBA made this move as they're tired of the 76ers continuing to be a joke.

Their plan, in theory, wasn't bad. It just didn't work and the NBA finally had to forcefully pull the plug.

Suntouchable13 said:
Who's got the tiebreaker between Indiana and Detroit? Anyone know?

Indiana.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Now he can take all that young talent, trade it for overpriced broken veterans, and watch the team surge into a playoff spot (Which looks awesome) before it falls apart at the seams and requires a tear-down to fix properly (which looks bad.)

Was that a sarcastic reference to his time in Toronto?

I don't remember Colangelo aggressively trading young talent when he was here. But my memory from that time is hazy.

In fact, I think Colangelo was pretty good at acquiring young talent for the roster - he just didn't have the luxury of an ownership group willing to be patient and allow that talent to develop. He drafted DeRozan, Ross and J-Val and traded for Lowry. And earlier, I remember him trading for the young point guard, (name completely escapes me) who ended up with neck problems, in an effort to build a core around his other young asset: Chris Bosh.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

I don't remember Colangelo aggressively trading young talent when he was here. But my memory from that time is hazy.

In fact, I think Colangelo was pretty good at acquiring young talent for the roster - he just didn't have the luxury of an ownership group willing to be patient and allow that talent to develop. He drafted DeRozan, Ross and J-Val and traded for Lowry. And earlier, I remember him trading for the young point guard, (name completely escapes me) who ended up with neck problems, in an effort to build a core around his other young asset: Chris Bosh.

I agree. The only move that really fits the description was dealing Ed Davis for Rudy Gay.

BC's downfall (apart from a couple of major drafting blunders) was surrounding Bosh with mediocre talent (Turk, Kapono and a bunch of European players) through FA.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

TJ Ford plus first round pick (Roy Hibbert) for Jermaine O'Neal. Then traded Jermaine O'Neal plus a first round pick for Shawn Marion. Then traded Marion for Turkoglu. Then reacquired the first that was traded for Marion in the Bosh sign and trade. Then dealt that first for James Johnson. Then traded Johnson for a second round pick.

He always tried to keep the wheels spinning.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Colangelo reminded me a lot of Burke. Very bold trader, never hesitated to shake things up, or correct his mistakes. But his tunnel vision of building around Bargnani destroyed the team. He made so many excuses for him. 13 great games at all star pace of ONE season became 18 in later interviews. You don't build around and extend a player based on small sample size. Just like Burke would never throw Wilson or Kessel under the bus until the whole thing was burned to the ground, Colangelo would have stuck with Bargnani to the end.
The Oneal trade/Heatles nearly brought on the era of the superteam which would have been terrible for the league. The Bosh situation could have been handled better as well.
He nearly signed broken down Steve Nash to something like 12 million. What a bullet we dodged, that contract would have handcuffed us into the Masai era. Maybe Steve knew he was done and he didn't want to ruin his legacy in Canada.
He signed Landry Fields to that horrible contract as a sweetener to his friend Nash.
He also hated second round picks worse than Burke/Nonis.

I'm really glad he's gone. He still lived here and had powerful friends in Tannebaum and in MLSE. He was so well liked as a salesman and in other MLSE ventures that if they could have kept him as a basketball man they would have. Fortunately for us results got in the way.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The amount of tension that I am seeing from Raps fans heading into the playoffs is staggering. This is the 2nd seed in the East, FFS. I can understand that based on what happened last 2 years, but I am not worried. I am confident in this team beating Indiana or Detroit in the first round.

They came in to this season on a mission after being embarrassed against Washington, they have improved in almost all aspects of their game, they have 50+ wins, they ran away with the 2nd seed in the much more competitive Eastern Conference, they have been on the heels of Cleveland the whole time. This is a very good basketball team. They will dispose of Indiana or Detroit relatively easily in the 1st round.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My including young players was more about the 76ers themselves since that's all they have for Colangelo to sell off. The worrisome parallel to be drawn is that he would be a deck-chair-shuffler like he was in Toronto, constantly flipping one asset for another trying to cram repeated differently shaped pegs into the roster's biggest holes, and diminishing the returns gained each time an attempt is made. I mean, through a string of trades he turned a starting calibre PG and a 1st into a 2nd because he just kept on compounding his mistakes with another desperation move. So if I'm the 6ers, I'd be worried that all the value Sam Heinke built up in prospect capital will be jettisoned out the door for quick-fix veterans that get them into the playoffs, make the fans happy they have a winning-ish team for once, and then the horror sets in that he moved a bunch of high value pieces for a return that will leave them with 3 or 4 years as a 6-8 seed and then sink back into the pits to the point that they were at 3 or 4 years ago (3-4 years back from now. Meaning that they just spent a 6 to 8 year cycle going from awful to mediocre and back to awful with nothing to show for it.)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsvshawks-web_1.png

Game Day: Raptors @ Hawks

Posted: Apr 07, 2016

Matt Tierney - Raptors.com

Another back-to-back begins tonight when Toronto (52-25) takes on the Hawks (46-32) for an 8pm start in Atlanta. The Raptors were back to full strength Tuesday and bounced back with a victory over the visiting Hornets. The Hawks also got back in the winning column at the expense of the Phoenix Suns.

projectedlineups-040716.jpg

PLAYER TO WATCH

Dennis Shroder – Despite a couple of off nights recently, Schroder has been a consistent playmaker off the bench for Atlanta this year. The 22-year old is contributing 11 points, four assists and three rebounds a game, backing up starting point guard Jeff Teague. A first-round pick in 2013, Schroder looks to be a key piece in the Hawks long-term plans.

DeMar DeRozan– Atlanta is likely tired of the sight of Toronto's All-Star shooting-guard after he's torched them for 24 points, five rebounds and three assists in their three meetings this season. DeRozan was solid again Tuesday night, recording a game-high 26 points to go along with seven rebounds and six assists in the Raptors win over Charlotte.

Toronto Raptors at Atlanta Hawks: Thursday game preview

Toronto has won four straight times against Atlanta, including the first three meetings this year.

By: Doug Smith Sports Reporter, Published on Wed Apr 06 2016

PHILIPS ARENA

Tipoff: 8 p.m.

TV: TSN1

Radio: Sportsnet FAN590

Probable starters

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Norm Powell, Luis Scola, Jonas Valanciunas.

Atlanta: Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, Kent Bazemore, Paul Millsap, Al Horford.

Key matchup: Norm Powell vs. Kyle Korver. It’s not a lot of fun chasing the Atlanta sharpshooter around multiple screens all night but a rookie’s got to do what a rookie’s got to do. Powell had some success when the teams met in Toronto last week.

Need to know: At nine straight playoff appearances, the Hawks have the longest post-season streak going in the Eastern Conference . . . Ball movement is a key to Atlanta’s offence, they average about 26 assists per game, second in the league . . . Toronto has beaten Atlanta three times already this season and has won four in a row overall against the Hawks . . . Paul Millsap has had at least three blocked shots in each of Atlanta’s last four games.

Up next: Friday vs. Indiana, 7:30 p.m.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I hate when we're coming up the floor in transition and DeMar slows it down instead of pushing into the paint before the other team has a chance to get their defense set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad