Raptors Discussion: v57|The long, short run to the end of the season (and playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Magic number to clinch the 2nd seed is 1 game.

At that point, Casey needs to give Lowry minimal minutes down the stretch, if any. His shooting has been abysmal because of that elbow.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Magic number to clinch the 2nd seed is 1 game.

At that point, Casey needs to give Lowry minimal minutes down the stretch, if any. His shooting has been abysmal because of that elbow.

I don't have the exact stats, but he looked like he shot well last night. Certainly not abysmal.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lowry looked way better last night

Tonight is probably the right night to give Lowry and maybe a couple other guys a rest. It's an auto loss anyway. Well, tell that to Boston last night against GSW. But I just don't think it's worth it trying to go to battle with SA tonight trying to end their streak. Even if the Raptors play everybody and win, it does not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Lowry should rest tonight, as the game is a write-off anyways. I would even limit Derozan to 25-30 mins as well. Let the younger guys play in a game we won't win regardless.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Lowry should rest tonight, as the game is a write-off anyways. I would even limit Derozan to 25-30 mins as well. Let the younger guys play in a game we won't win regardless.

I would hope Casey doesn't share this attitude otherwise the Raptors might as well pack it in now. What a losers mentality. Just accepting defeat instead of embracing the challenge. Especially considering they just saw Boston, a potential playoff opponent, gut out a win in Golden State on the end of a back to back.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Tonight is probably the right night to give Lowry and maybe a couple other guys a rest. It's an auto loss anyway. Well, tell that to Boston last night against GSW. But I just don't think it's worth it trying to go to battle with SA tonight trying to end their streak. Even if the Raptors play everybody and win, it does not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

totally agree. We have 6 games after tonight, it's a back to back, we're not winning this game (at least our chances are extremely thin). Sit K-Low and give some time to Wright.

Even if we win this game, in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't mean anything..no point in giving out big mins to DD and Lowry in a back to back when the playoffs are in like 2 weeks. Rest is going to be huge down the stretch here. And also having a game or two off isn't going to affect these guys on the court. We're 75 games in..they'll be ready

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I would hope Casey doesn't share this attitude otherwise the Raptors might as well pack it in now. What a losers mentality. Just accepting defeat instead of embracing the challenge. Especially considering they just saw Boston, a potential playoff opponent, gut out a win in Golden State on the end of a back to back.

I am all for the Raptors winning this game, I just don't think that expending energy on this game tonight is worth it. They can bust their ass to try to win this game, but does that do them good in the long run? I want to win, but I also want to see our guys fresh in 2 weeks time.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The Spurs are the best example of how resting players can keep a team healthy for the playoffs. Their core is incredibly old and yet they're able to perform year after year in part because Pop reduces their regular season mileage. Curry is having one of the greatest seasons of all time and he isn't even in the top 25 in minutes per game. It makes perfect sense to rest Lowry in the second half of a back to back against an out of conference opponent, especially with his elbow injury. This game has no real effect on the standings and with the way Chicago is playing, we'd rather be 2nd than 1st anyway.

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ya, hopefully Casey rests DD and Lowry tonight. Game means nothing, its all about the playoffs at this point.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsvsspurs-web_1.png

Game Day: Raptors @ Spurs

Posted: Apr 02, 2016

Matt Tierney - Raptors.com

Toronto (51-24) wraps up their back-to-back on the road tonight against the Spurs (63-12) at AT&T Center. The Raptors are fresh off a gritty victory over the Grizzlies in Memphis last night. Despite dropping games in Oklahoma City and Charlotte recently, San Antonio enter tonight’s game a perfect 38-0 at home.

projectedlineups-040216.jpg

PLAYER TO WATCH

Kawhi Leonard – After a short three-game absence, Leonard returned to action for the Spurs recording 16 points in 22 minutes vs. the Pelicans on Wednesday. The All-Star forward is having another solid season, leading the team in scoring with more than 20 points per game in addition to eight rebounds and three assists. The Raptors managed to keep him quiet in December, limiting Leonard to seven points on 37% shooting. Toronto will have to try and do the same tonight if they hope to hand the Spurs their first loss at home this season.

DeMar DeRozan– You would think that having to face the reigning defensive player of the year in Leonard would equate to a frustrating night offensively for DeRozan. After their 12/9 matchup, the Raptors shooting guard proved more than capable of accepting the challenge, finishing the game with 28 points, six assists and four rebounds in a TO victory. At the very least, expect another exciting matchup tonight between two of the NBA’s young superstars.

Raptors-San Antonio Spurs: Saturday game preview

San Antonio is a rather respectable 38-0 at home this season.

By: Doug Smith Sports Reporter, Published on Fri Apr 01 2016

AT&T CENTER

Tipoff: 8:30 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet One

Radio: TSN1050

Probable starters: Toronto — Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Norm Powell, Luis Scola, Jonas Valanciunas. San Antonio — Tony Parker, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan.

Key matchup: Norm Powell vs. Kawhi Leonard.

The hits just keep coming for the Raptors rookie, who generally draws the most difficult wing defensive assignment, and Leonard is certainly it. The Spurs veteran has become one of the best two-way players in the game.

Need to know: With Toronto finishing a back-to-back and the Spurs being the Spurs, who knows who might get a night off for rest . . . San Antonio is a rather respectable 38-0 at home this season . . . After 204 games over four seasons with the Spurs, Cory Joseph plays a game as a visitor to San Antonio . . . It’s a homecoming as well for Luis Scola, originally drafted by the Spurs . . . Beloved ex-Raptor Matt Bonner only averages about six minutes per game with San Antonio.

Up next: Tuesday vs. Charlotte, 7:30 p.m.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ya, hopefully Casey rests DD and Lowry tonight. Game means nothing, its all about the playoffs at this point.

This game means nothing? I disagree. It's a test for an unproven team that is trying to get better and take that next step.

For the record, I have no problem with resting players down the stretch to keep them healthy for the playoffs. But to do it tonight for the reasons that the poster below me said because "the game is a write-off anyways" and because it's "a game we won't win regardless" is hardly about resting for the playoffs and more about fear of losing to a tougher opponent. (And if Casey was that concerned about KL and DD's fatigue, couldn't he have done it last night in Memphis instead?)

Try telling Lowry and DeRozan they're gonna rest because this is "a game we won't win regardless."

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Good fight so far by the Raptors without their star players, would love to see them pull it off some how

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Leonard and his big hands are just too tough to defend.

Powell and Wright played very well tonight.

Last edited:

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
This was a game that pretty much all of us wrote off prior to the start, but our B team managed to put up a good fight against the Spurs on their home court.

Powell and Wright were impressive. Glad they got the minutes tonight. They need more down the stretch.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
What a fun game to watch. Could have won if we rebounded better and if Scola wasn't such a plug. Scola might cost us a series. He is just so bad

Wright and Powell looked great. What a nice a draft that might turn out to be. Both look like they are going to be ready for the NBA next year. Going to have a log jam at the guard positions.

I think Ross will be moved to free up some salary to keep the team together and maybe add a PF.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This was a game that pretty much all of us wrote off prior to the start, but our B team managed to put up a good fight against the Spurs on their home court.

Powell and Wright were impressive. Glad they got the minutes tonight. They need more down the stretch.

It's good to see Wright acclimating himself well when given more playing time. I've maintained since before the season that he was likely an NBA calibre backup already, he just didn't get playing time because Joseph was signed and took his gig/minutes.

This last draft looks really solid. Both guys should be capable contributors for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad