Raptors Discussion: v57|The long, short run to the end of the season (and playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Wright might have better upside than Joseph. He has such good size for the PG position and seems to be really good with the left hand. Definitely want to see him get some minutes down the stretch.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
It's good to see Wright acclimating himself well when given more playing time. I've maintained since before the season that he was likely an NBA calibre backup already, he just didn't get playing time because Joseph was signed and took his gig/minutes.

This last draft looks really solid. Both guys should be capable contributors for a while.

Another testament to Masai's scouting. Can't wait to see what he does with his first top 10 draft pick this year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Another testament to Masai's scouting. Can't wait to see what he does with his first top 10 draft pick this year.

Not a draft pick, but Nogueira looks like another solid young scouting pickup too. Masai managed to get him as a throw-in in the Lou Williams trade and in what we've seen of him this season, I'd give him some run as a backup C next year, especially if Biyombo declines his option for next season (possible) and some GM way overpays him (likely if the first thing happens). This team is just so damned athletic and Bebe fits right into that mold.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
anyone else getting really annoyed by Joseph lately? Guy can't shoot worth a lick, and all he does is dribble around wasting clock. He really needs to improve his shot in the summer

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
anyone else getting really annoyed by Joseph lately? Guy can't shoot worth a lick, and all he does is dribble around wasting clock. He really needs to improve his shot in the summer

I thought he was fine tonight. Really picked it up down the stretch in the 4th to keep them in the game.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

If he could shoot he'd be a top 10 PG in the league and wouldn't be making only $7M

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Someone earlier said Avery Bradley but he plays more like Wade. They have very similar measurements and athleticism. That isnt to say Norm will become anywhere near as good just that their size, athleticism, ballhandling and finishing in traffic are comparable. He actually pulls a move at like the :35 mark that I've seen Wade make like a 100 times.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016...providing-context-valanciunas-biyombo-debate/

The defense is pretty good with Patterson and pretty bad with Scola regardless of which center they’re playing with, so all of the weeping and gnashing of teeth over Valanciunas’ defensive struggles seems a little excessive considering it’s unlikely that he’s actually been the problem. Sure, he’s not as good as Biyombo on the defensive end but the gap is not as big as it seems and it’s certainly not as big as the gap between them on the offensive end.

The Raptors are not just good with Valanciunas in the game and Scola on the bench, they’re great. No five man unit featuring Valanciunas without Scola that has played more than 10 minutes has a negative rating and the majority of them are straight up dominant. Yes, sample size is an issue but in total we’re looking at 400+ minutes of basketball that is good defensively and dominant offensively.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i haven't followed the raps closely. who's more valuable at this point, powell or wright?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think now that the Raptors are pretty much locked into the 2nd seed, Lowry should play 25-30 minutes a night max in the remaining 6 games. Treat it like preseason. Make sure they are rested, but also sharp.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'd still give him some run but rest him for a couple games.

Sit Lowry Thursday/Sunday, DeRozan Friday and both of them for the finale in Brooklyn. Let them play their normal minutes the other games.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
How do people think about the Raptors possibly taking Thon Maker if he is deemed eligible for the draft? From what I've read he could go around the mid-late lottery picks. Seems like a Masai type guy.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This game means nothing? I disagree. It's a test for an unproven team that is trying to get better and take that next step.

For the record, I have no problem with resting players down the stretch to keep them healthy for the playoffs. But to do it tonight for the reasons that the poster below me said because "the game is a write-off anyways" and because it's "a game we won't win regardless" is hardly about resting for the playoffs and more about fear of losing to a tougher opponent. (And if Casey was that concerned about KL and DD's fatigue, couldn't he have done it last night in Memphis instead?)

Try telling Lowry and DeRozan they're gonna rest because this is "a game we won't win regardless."

I reckon the test I want this team to pass is in the playoffs, not in a game that is meaningless for both teams.

Resting Lowry and DeRozan is just far more important than beating the Spurs in San Antonio.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsvshornets-web_0.png

Game Day: Raptors vs. Hornets

Posted: Apr 05, 2016

Matt Tierney - Raptors.com

Toronto (51-25) closes out their season series tonight with Charlotte (44-32) at Air Canada Centre. Despite resting both DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, the Raptors were competitive against a full San Antonio Spurs roster Saturday night in a narrow defeat. The Hornets aspirations at the third spot in the Eastern Conference took a hit Sunday with a loss to the Cavaliers in Cleveland.

projectedlineups-040516.jpg

PLAYER TO WATCH

Nicolas Batum – Mr. Versatility for this Hornets team enters tonight averaging 19 points, seven assists and six rebounds over his last 10 games. Batum has brought a balanced approach to his new team and his ability to do it all on both the offensive and defensive end is a major reason for Charlotte’s rise in the East. In his only meeting with the Raptors, the 27-year old recorded 14 points, seven assists and four rebounds.

Norman Powell– The Raptors rookie continues to make the most of his opportunities. Powell has scored in double figures in six straight games and seems to be the clear choice for the starting small forward position in DeMarre Carroll’s absence. Not only has Powell impressed on offence but his ability to defend opposing teams' best players has put him in good stead with coach Casey.

Charlotte Hornets at Toronto Raptors: Tuesday game preview

The Hornets have been buzzing down the stretch, going 21-7 since Feb. 1.

By: Doug Smith Sports Reporter, Published on Mon Apr 04 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Tipoff: 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN

Radio: TSN1050

Probable starters

Charlotte: Kemba Walker, Courtney Lee, Nik Batum, Marvin Williams, Cody Zeller.

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Norm Powell, Luis Scola, Jonas Valanciunas.

Key matchup:Kemba Walker vs. Kyle Lowry. The waterbug-quick Hornets point guard has given the Raptors fits in past and will be a good test for Lowry, who is struggling with his shot the past five games.

Need to know: The Hornets have clinched a playoff spot and are a bit banged up; Nik Batum sat out the second half of a Sunday game in Cleveland with a sprained knee and Al Jefferson missed the game with a bruised thigh . . . Charlotte has gone 21-7 since Feb. 1 . . . The Raptors are going for their 30th home win.

Up next: Thursday at Atlanta, 8 p.m.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It would be interesting to see how both Lowry and Derozan are used for the rest of the season and if Carroll is going to see some action before the playoffs

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not really the biggest fan of Lowry and Derozan's minutes tonight.

Doubt we even play the Hornets in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad