OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I once said that we have parallel lives. My wife and I were also married that day. It was 82 in Milwaukee and very humid (dew point of 67), it felt like 95. The day before it was officially 98, (with a dew point of 69) which is the record high for that date and the records go back to 1881. I remember running the AC in my car at the maximum setting all day while doing errands and going to the rehearsal at church and dinner after. It was steamy at 9 PM, which is unusual here. On Thursday, my battery died and I was worried that something else bad would happen with the car.

I hope that you have 35 more years together!
Wow! That is amazing. We even got MARRIED on the same day?

I remember I was doing my best to get ready and I was the only person in the chapel. Everyone else was in the main church setting up the reception. No electricity in the little room (oh, really? we had no idea...) so I was attempting to do something with my very straight hair and try to put on makeup in a darkened room. My soon to be in laws came to the chapel door and started knocking (because it was so hot and they got there 2 hours early) and I kept hoping they'd find another way in, but no. So I opened the door with my hair in rollers (no heat but I hoped it might work) wearing my very damp slip to welcome my new ... great uncle and aunt in law maybe? they were some relatives to Mr. A's grandfather... to my wedding. "Hi, I'm the bride."

They looked at me funny for some reason.

Words of wisdom: Don't get married at 4 PM in August.

Reactions: adsfan

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Interesting weather events up here. All week long, the current weather conditions have not been "sunny", "partly cloudy", etc. They have been classified as "smoke". The Mariners are actually playing at home currently, and although it looks like most people are still going, they're offering refunds or exchanges for people who are worried about sitting there for 3 or 4 hours.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
@Drake744 Is this due to the wildfires?

I honestly can't imagine how bad that is. Kind of like dust storms, never really had to experience it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
@Drake744 Is this due to the wildfires?

I honestly can't imagine how bad that is. Kind of like dust storms, never really had to experience it.
Yeah it's from fires in multiple directions. It's pretty crazy and I saw that Seattle this week has had the worst air quality index in the world. It's not TERRIBLY noticeable from the ground to an extreme point, but you can see it just by going outside. The air just looks dusty and you get the immediate feeling that you need to shower again haha. I read some environmental group say that a day outside right now is the equivalent of smoking between 7 and 12 cigarettes, depending on where you are exactly.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
We're getting smoke from the wildfires here. It's actually pretty ridiculous and some areas around Madison had 15 inches of rain on Monday. Weather has been ridiculous everywhere lately and now Hawaii is about to get hit by a hurricane.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
So.

You're probably all wondering where I went off to.

I have been relatively busy doing the summer thing - which is really really hard to do when it's 100+F every single day since the end of hockey season here in the East Valley.

I'm now doing a Ralph Kramden impression with the kiddies of the East Valley, while occasionally getting snippets of news from Nashville between lamentations in the local rag about the Coyotes being in year 20 of a rebuilding mode.

I'm also currently two hours ahead of y'all, time wise, as we don't do that silly "daylight savings" thing. I mean, why save something you get way too much of to begin with?

This makes it hard to follow or conversate with people, though I've seen smatterings of stuff from others on the Book of Face and the Tweetverse.

I have also discovered that you really, really need to water trees daily in the valley, lest half the branches wither up and die in the heat between monsoons. In addition, I've also discovered that "severe thunderstorms" in WI or TN have nothin' on monsoon storms. Imagine a thunderstorm that's preceded by a huge dust cloud and wind that makes you think you're in a tropical storm. THAT is a monsoon storm.

As much as the 100+ temps are starting to wear on me, I have to remember that I really do NOT like constant sub-zero weather and negative-ohmigod windchills.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Dude hockey season needs to start. I need my life back. All I do is work, sleep, SOMETIMES hang with a friend, and play video games. I need my fix. Kinda interested in fantasy hockey this year- never tried it and I’ve always wanted to but I don’t know how to do it really. All I think about is HOCKEY.

I’m finally getting over everything that happened earlier this year. I just brought my dog back to my house (he’s been in Memphis since my breakup in February) like 3 days ago. Had a nice vacation in Memphis for like a week. My uncle killed himself while I was there though. Crazy shit, man. Pretty insane story. He lived with my mom so I got to see him like the day before he did it.
Sorry for dropping that bomb on everybody. Lmao.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My condolences to you @FilthyScoresberg . I can't imagine the pain you must be going through with that experience (nor that he was, too). Hang in there!

@jwhouk You know, you just went from one extreme to the other. Ha ha! FWIW, Wilson County has a major shortage of school bus drivers...they're hiring and desperate. They'll even take Yankees at this point.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
My condolences to you @FilthyScoresberg . I can't imagine the pain you must be going through with that experience (nor that he was, too). Hang in there!
All good. I mean yeah I’m sad but he was a grown man and it was his choice. I’m not gonna be sad about it. He wouldn’t want that. Just a wild story to be honest.

In other news, I am thinking about moving back to Memphis next April.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Scoresberg, you've had a lot happen. Hope you can take some time and just heal.

Been in Denver this week, nephew minding. It is pretty here but I miss the green vegetation at home.

Justa, hope you survive your tour of duty.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Oh I'll manage. Soon I'll be relocated to the 'chauffeur' company in which we just wait for driving assignments and sometimes we are on call at night at the motor hall. So my suffering kinda ends there.
But I'll be doing that for 7 more months. Yikes.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Our IT guy found an old "making of" video we'd made at the office to go along with a Sesame Street project back in 2004. We have all changed a LOT in 15 years. But one thing remains the same. I was pictured looking at something Preds related. I think it was an early rendition of the NP site, but it may have been the message boards. I remember this was actually set up, I was actually doing work at the time but it was so out of the ordinary that the filmer asked me to have the Preds stuff on the screen instead.

Reactions: Viqsi

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That's great! Does he have an airline to go with it? i.e. the j word.
No, he is going to work at EKU as a flight instructor to build up enough hours to be eligible to fly for an airline. That's pretty much how it works if you arent in the military. It's somewhat like residency for physicians, I suppose

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No, he is going to work at EKU as a flight instructor to build up enough hours to be eligible to fly for an airline. That's pretty much how it works if you arent in the military. It's somewhat like residency for physicians, I suppose
One of these days maybe he'll be the pilot on one of Logan's flights home. Or away. He is on a domestic airline for at least part of the way usually.

Reactions: PredsV82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad