OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm not the type of person that cares too much about celebrity encounters or one who ohhs and ahhs over stuff like that. That being said my only real encounter with any type of "celebrity" was Shea Weber and that was one of the greatest nights in my life. From a hockey perspective I am very happy with the PK for Weber trade. From a personal standpoint I hated it. Shea is seriously an awesome dude. It's not just the way he portrays himself to the media. He really is as down to earth and humble as he comes off as.
I don't usually get that excited--in my line of work we do meet with famous people occasionally but this was so unexpected and I thought it was really nice! Agree with you re: Shea. I hated the trade for him, yet not for the Preds.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Saw the thread title and wondered what kind of construction was going on near Bridgestone.

Anyway, hope to get to a couple games this year. Maybe even do the watch party for the WCF.
There is ALWAYS construction going on around Bridgestone these days. Might as well have it be our OT thread name, too.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Speaking of fanboy/girl. Do you remember the guy who played Ben Linus on LOST? He connected with me on Messenger the other day to thank me for a comment I'd made about his acting. I asked and yes, it he assured me it was really Michael Emerson, not a secretary for the fan club/website or something like that. Adding him to my pile of famous encounters...

Finale debate aside...

I would love another TV show to come along that's 75% as good as Lost was. Pretty sure I'll never be lucky enough to be so engaged in a TV show ever again.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Finale debate aside...

I would love another TV show to come along that's 75% as good as Lost was. Pretty sure I'll never be lucky enough to be so engaged in a TV show ever again.
I saw something that said it ended in 2010 and was just amazed. Could it have really been so long ago! But yeah, it was a great show in its heyday. The best show I've EVER seen is Twin Peaks, Season 1 and Twin Peaks the Return barring S 3 episode 8 (which others think is GREAT) and the ending. Its last episode reminded me of LOST in that it thoroughly annoyed me. Ha! But overall it was great.

Reactions: LCPreds

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
lol.
Like TO. Winter and construction are our 2 seasons.
Pfft. Winter doesn't stop construction here. (The thing one must keep in mind about Midwestern seasons is that they can occur at any time.)

* * *​
Can you TRY and have fun?
51Q46i84TlL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So...35 years ago on Aug. 20, 1983, Mr. Admiral and I got married in 107 degree weather in a chapel that had its air conditioning go kaput. We were married by a pro wrestler... who laughed and said "That's wuvwy" when Mr. A took me as his "wawfully wedded wife" and then forgot to sign the marriage certificate. It is still the only wedding Billy Conn has ever performed. The photographer (um, my dad) took loads of pictures but he forgot to take a picture of the Bride and Groom. The topper for our cake could have doubled as helicoptor rotor blades. Our honeymoon was truly the honeymoon from hell, involving a car breakdown in E. Columbia SC, motorcycle gangs, an abandoned sea town, wild dogs and what was left of the beach was infested with giant centipedes. And then, to really tempt fate, we renovated a house together in that first year. I guess if you can survive all that you can survive most anything. Woo!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So...35 years ago on Aug. 20, 1983, Mr. Admiral and I got married in 107 degree weather in a chapel that had its air conditioning go kaput. We were married by a pro wrestler... who laughed and said "That's wuvwy" when Mr. A took me as his "wawfully wedded wife" and then forgot to sign the marriage certificate. It is still the only wedding Billy Conn has ever performed. The photographer (um, my dad) took loads of pictures but he forgot to take a picture of the Bride and Groom. The topper for our cake could have doubled as helicoptor rotor blades. Our honeymoon was truly the honeymoon from hell, involving a car breakdown in E. Columbia SC, motorcycle gangs, an abandoned sea town, wild dogs and what was left of the beach was infested with giant centipedes. And then, to really tempt fate, we renovated a house together in that first year. I guess if you can survive all that you can survive most anything. Woo!
Gratz to yall. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that started things off wild and crazy. My father in law started it off by refusing to pay for the reception and canceling it 2 days before the wedding. He eventually sort of backed off from it when the family threatened to disown him and one of my wife's cousins ex-wife who used to own a catering business came to our rescue. Then we ended up having to cancel our honeymoon because we were going to need the money to pay what was still owed on the wedding. My mother in law and my parents ended up paying for the pictures which turned out so bad we didn't even bother getting any of them printed. The best photo from the whole thing was taken by my grandmother on one of those cheap disposable cameras.

Reactions: Adz

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I just noticed Adam Vingan is now writing for The Athletic, which I assume is in addition to his writing for the Tennessean. Great source for hockey information if you've never really looked at it. Main negative of course is that it's not free but the content is typically top notch.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I just noticed Adam Vingan is now writing for The Athletic, which I assume is in addition to his writing for the Tennessean. Great source for hockey information if you've never really looked at it. Main negative of course is that it's not free but the content is typically top notch.
I read the article from the Twitter link and his bio says he "previously" wrote for the Tennessean. My guess is this is his new job and Rexrode is taking over the hockey at the Tennessean. I may subscribe to the Athletic. Seems there are a LOT of quality writers moving to that platform as newspapers die (and cut their staff, hastening it along). Nice to have a Preds-centric voice.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I read the article from the Twitter link and his bio says he "previously" wrote for the Tennessean. My guess is this is his new job and Rexrode is taking over the hockey at the Tennessean. I may subscribe to the Athletic. Seems there are a LOT of quality writers moving to that platform as newspapers die (and cut their staff, hastening it along). Nice to have a Preds-centric voice.

Awesome news. Just as a FYI If anyone is thinking about now signing up, you can save some money: http://theathletic.com/nashvillelaunch

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yes, The Athletic may not be around for that long because of financial reasons but the content is really good and if nothing else, respected writers are choosing that path. That's a big get for Nashville sports. I heard they're also adding other "mid sized" cities now also, like Charlotte, New Orleans, etc. so maybe they aren't struggling too much at the moment.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, The Athletic may not be around for that long because of financial reasons but the content is really good and if nothing else, respected writers are choosing that path. That's a big get for Nashville sports. I heard they're also adding other "mid sized" cities now also, like Charlotte, New Orleans, etc. so maybe they aren't struggling too much at the moment.
wait, what? Haven't seen anything at all like that...

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
wait, what? Haven't seen anything at all like that...
I just meant business model-wise. "Not for long" was kind of misleading but they charge a subscription fee for a reason. The talent they're acquiring isn't cheap and a start-up business is difficult in any respect, much less what's left of the journalism industry.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just meant business model-wise. "Not for long" was kind of misleading but they charge a subscription fee for a reason. The talent they're acquiring isn't cheap and a start-up business is difficult in any respect, much less what's left of the journalism industry.
Ah. So it's more about the experimental nature of their business model rather than anything concrete. Fair, albeit IMO overstated.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

You were married by Ric Flair? O.O Wooooo! Indeed!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
You were married by Ric Flair? O.O Wooooo! Indeed!
No, it was Billy Conn! Well, at least that was sometimes his name. Depended on whether he was the good guy or the bad guy. Ha! They probably passed each other in the halls a time or two, though, would have been a contemporary.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think they might need to raise the cost of a subscription if they keep adding high quality talent but if it's high quality talent people will probably be fine with paying an additional fee as long as it's not too outrageous.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I once said that we have parallel lives. My wife and I were also married that day. It was 82 in Milwaukee and very humid (dew point of 67), it felt like 95. The day before it was officially 98, (with a dew point of 69) which is the record high for that date and the records go back to 1881. I remember running the AC in my car at the maximum setting all day while doing errands and going to the rehearsal at church and dinner after. It was steamy at 9 PM, which is unusual here. On Thursday, my battery died and I was worried that something else bad would happen with the car.

I hope that you have 35 more years together!

Reactions: Adz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->