OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The SMASH hat doesn't quite have the same impact 2,500 miles away. I've seen people look at me when I wear it though. I can't tell if they wonder why a weirdo has a hat on with only that word on it or if they've seen famous people wearing one and are wondering what the hell it actually is.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
1st vacation from the army, 2 weeks after the 1st day. Almost passed out twice and going to see the doctor. Everything's going so well :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex76 and Jonesey

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
1st vacation from the army, 2 weeks after the 1st day. Almost passed out twice and going to see the doctor. Everything's going so well :sarcasm:
What all countries do this? We hear about it most from Finland re:hockey players, I got the sense Israel does. It sounds like a pretty good experience for the populace to go through if they do it right.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What all countries do this? We hear about it most from Finland re:hockey players, I got the sense Israel does. It sounds like a pretty good experience for the populace to go through if they do it right.
Definitely creates new friendships, our 'room' of 11 recruits already seem to have a friend connection and we all seem to be one of the better teams in a whole, to explain, 3 rooms make up a team and teams make up a company.
Our team is said to be one of the best out of the whole army base so far but I take those talks with a grain of salt.

The experience will make man more physically able to do things along with the determination to get things done but it also mentally taxes people during the actual experience. You might have enough strength to do something but you're constantly double-guessing yourself because you're being treated like shit for virtually no reason other than that you exist. Meh.

There's a good chance that after I go to see the doctor I won't be going back to the army since they actually do care about people's health when it's proven. A lot of guys who are not motivated at all try to get a free pass to civil life by faking illness.

Wouldn't like to pass out on a march because of vertigo- like symptoms that I haven't had in a while but this is the 1st time I've been in actual physical stress on a daily basis for like a year. And to think I would be cleared to go on a shooting range with proven vertigo symptoms..

The experience is 100% worth it if you're healthy enough to do it. The things you go through, shooting targets with your roommates, talking about dumb stuff that makes everyone laugh because everyone's so tired, eating in the woods while being covered with sweat.. The experience is so far removed from real life that it changes people for the better and is probably one reason why many men won't go to see the doctor for minor stuff. :D

Reactions: Tex76

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks for sharing JFG! Hope you are feeling ok. It sounds sort of like I'd expect in general though... As an old guy now who wouldn't survive a day in something like that, I still think it would be kind of a beneficial "character-building" experience for when I was young enough and fit enough to get through it, and something that might benefit society as a whole. USA might be too big to manage it. Maybe it is only feasible in smaller countries. I wonder.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Definitely creates new friendships, our 'room' of 11 recruits already seem to have a friend connection and we all seem to be one of the better teams in a whole, to explain, 3 rooms make up a team and teams make up a company.
Our team is said to be one of the best out of the whole army base so far but I take those talks with a grain of salt.

The experience will make man more physically able to do things along with the determination to get things done but it also mentally taxes people during the actual experience. You might have enough strength to do something but you're constantly double-guessing yourself because you're being treated like **** for virtually no reason other than that you exist. Meh.

There's a good chance that after I go to see the doctor I won't be going back to the army since they actually do care about people's health when it's proven. A lot of guys who are not motivated at all try to get a free pass to civil life by faking illness.

Wouldn't like to pass out on a march because of vertigo- like symptoms that I haven't had in a while but this is the 1st time I've been in actual physical stress on a daily basis for like a year. And to think I would be cleared to go on a shooting range with proven vertigo symptoms..

The experience is 100% worth it if you're healthy enough to do it. The things you go through, shooting targets with your roommates, talking about dumb stuff that makes everyone laugh because everyone's so tired, eating in the woods while being covered with sweat.. The experience is so far removed from real life that it changes people for the better and is probably one reason why many men won't go to see the doctor for minor stuff. :D

All militaries treat recruits like crap, not because they exist but because they are not yet worthy of existing.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
All militaries treat recruits like crap, not because they exist but because they are not yet worthy of existing.

The politically correct answer is, the military treats recruits like crap to instill a level of self-dependence and self-worth so they can survive battles both physical and mental. A drill instructor/coach scream and yells at you because he wants you to be more, he's investing himself emotionally and physically because he wants you to be better and thrive. He's investing himself into you...

A terrorist will only smile and invest a 1 cent bit of lead into your brain.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The politically correct answer is, the military treats recruits like crap to instill a level of self-dependence and self-worth so they can survive battles both physical and mental. A drill instructor/coach scream and yells at you because he wants you to be more, he's investing himself emotionally and physically because he wants you to be better and thrive. He's investing himself into you...

A terrorist will only smile and invest a 1 cent bit of lead into your brain.

I'll let politicians worry about political correctness. I do my job when diplomacy fails and there is nothing politically correct about what happens when it becomes necessary for me to do what I do best.

Historically recruits are not yet worthy of being called by their goal ... Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman. Those titles require transformation from civilian to something else.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for sharing JFG! Hope you are feeling ok. It sounds sort of like I'd expect in general though... As an old guy now who wouldn't survive a day in something like that, I still think it would be kind of a beneficial "character-building" experience for when I was young enough and fit enough to get through it, and something that might benefit society as a whole. USA might be too big to manage it. Maybe it is only feasible in smaller countries. I wonder.
I don't think it would be a good idea at all for the US. We have no need for a military of conscripts so long as the volunteer force is large enough. While draftees have won wars in the past, go read some literature for Vietnam about the differences in the professional soldiers vs the draftees. The drive and morale is night and day different. Having people in your platoon who have no desire to be there only serve to drag everyone else down with them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think it would be a good idea at all for the US. We have no need for a military of conscripts so long as the volunteer force is large enough. While draftees have won wars in the past, go read some literature for Vietnam about the differences in the professional soldiers vs the draftees. The drive and morale is night and day different. Having people in your platoon who have no desire to be there only serve to drag everyone else down with them.
Yeah, I don't really think of it as a "draftee" or "conscript" type of situation, more as kind of an extension of your basic education, just like you'd go to high school and learn math or whatever, or go to driver's ed to handle a car, you'd instill some of these basic skills and values in the populace. Ultimately against a hypothetical military contingency, I suppose, at least in theory, but the real value would be more just in terms of crafting a more responsible, civic-minded, capable population in general.

It would still be chaos with the US populace today, because the population is already too... ?entitled?lazy?selfish? - those might be too harsh, I don't know, but I do definitely agree it would never fly in the US these days, even before you ever get close to the question of any actual military deployment. Maybe it could partially pre-screen for aptitudes a little. But there is no question of this being a direct feeder to any actual military need. I assume it's like that in Finland too... everybody does their training, maybe a few like it so much they join the military, but the vast majority just move on to become whatever they were going to be anyway, pharmacists, sauna technicians, death metal musicians, etc. :)

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
So...is it too early to start thinking about fantasy hockey and will there be a league around here after last year's hiatus? I like to sorta know who is kicking my keister in a weekly match up versus going to a truly random public league.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Currently watching the Cubs at Wrigley and they started playing Gold on the Ceiling.

Ready for hockey season to get started.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I had to start a gofundme for my financial problems and to get capital for my start-up. I know this is common for businesses in the new Internet age but it still feels like begging.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm guessing probably not but I've been curious since I first saw it. Is the guy in the Preds jersey anyone who posts here?

7mgFGgH.jpg

Reactions: LCPreds

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It isn't me in the jersey! That lady with the pink and black looks like somebody that I used to work with in the 1980s. Maybe it is her daughter?

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Saturday night was the last night for Paradise Park. :cry:

I got there around 6pm and it was already pretty full, but somehow I managed to get my regular seats at the bar. By 8 it was full, by 10 people were shoulder to shoulder! It was incredible the amount of people in there. People were playing flip cup at the tables, dancing, and having a great time. Even Big Al came back and was working the door. Seeing all the people in there and just how popular that place is, I can't believe they actually think closing it is a good idea.

They were physically running out of pitchers because people were actually stealing them. They couldn't wash the ones they did have fast enough so they had to open new boxes of pitchers, lol.

When I left there were lines to get in. One line went down around the corner of Merchant's and the other line went up to Earnest Tubb record shop. I don't know what those people were going to drink because there were few pitchers, a lot of the liquor was gone and some of the food was sold out, too.

I met one of the owners. He kept saying how the new place is going to be great, and we'll like it. I said I hope it will be something unique like Paradise and not some copycat of everything else going up on Broadway. He said it would be great, but I don't believe him. He did say they would have Predators specials.

Lots of hugs and a few tears from everyone. No one wanted to leave. I got to the front and stopped there for a while because I just didn't want to leave.

I still can't believe they closed it.

RIP Paradise Park. :cry:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I got there around 6pm and it was already pretty full, but somehow I managed to get my regular seats at the bar. By 8 it was full, by 10 people were shoulder to shoulder! It was incredible the amount of people in there. People were playing flip cup at the tables, dancing, and having a great time. Even Big Al came back and was working the door. Seeing all the people in there and just how popular that place is, I can't believe they actually think closing it is a good idea.

They were physically running out of pitchers because people were actually stealing them. They couldn't wash the ones they did have fast enough so they had to open new boxes of pitchers, lol.

When I left there were lines to get in. One line went down around the corner of Merchant's and the other line went up to Earnest Tubb record shop. I don't know what those people were going to drink because there were few pitchers, a lot of the liquor was gone and some of the food was sold out, too.

I met one of the owners. He kept saying how the new place is going to be great, and we'll like it. I said I hope it will be something unique like Paradise and not some copycat of everything else going up on Broadway. He said it would be great, but I don't believe him. He did say they would have Predators specials.

Lots of hugs and a few tears from everyone. No one wanted to leave. I got to the front and stopped there for a while because I just didn't want to leave.

Are they moving it or are they just changing it's theme?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We swung by PP after the Weezer/Pixies concert and can definitely confirm the line was ridiculous at around 1130pm. What I noticed most though was that lower Broad has reached a capacity problem. They’re going to have to seriously consider shutting down the street or at least reducing the number of lanes to make more room for pedestrian traffic. It’s borderline unsafe right now in my non-expert opinion.

FYI, I’d estimate at least 50% of the crowd to be comprised of bachelorette parties.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The world longest/largest yard sale is this week and weekend. Long lines of traffic and bargain hunters every where. Stay away from Crossville if you can!!!

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Are they moving it or are they just changing it's theme?
Closing it. They owners decided they wanted to do something else with the building so they're basically gutting the entire building and putting in a whole new multi-floor restaurant/bar concept.

I would love to be completely wrong, but I don't see this new place having free beer or $6 pitchers.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
We swung by PP after the Weezer/Pixies concert and can definitely confirm the line was ridiculous at around 1130pm. What I noticed most though was that lower Broad has reached a capacity problem. They’re going to have to seriously consider shutting down the street or at least reducing the number of lanes to make more room for pedestrian traffic. It’s borderline unsafe right now in my non-expert opinion.

FYI, I’d estimate at least 50% of the crowd to be comprised of bachelorette parties.
100% agree. After I left PP, I stood out in the street by the guard rail for a little bit and people were just walking around them in the street.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

It's a f***ing travesty. Easily the best place on Broadway. I have a friend that bartend(ed) there and she's baffled. I wish I could've been there for the send off. My buddy was at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad