OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
It's a ****ing travesty. Easily the best place on Broadway. I have a friend that bartend(ed) there and she's baffled. I wish I could've been there for the send off. My buddy was at least.
I just kept shaking my head looking at the crowd, how can they close this place?

I had a Preds t-shirt on and I saw a few game-day regulars, we all said we feel like free agents looking for a new home.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yeah, I'm really going to miss it.

I still miss Wolfy's, too. Both of them. Had some good times.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's a ****ing travesty. Easily the best place on Broadway. I have a friend that bartend(ed) there and she's baffled. I wish I could've been there for the send off. My buddy was at least.

I’m more of a Robert’s fan but did enjoy going to PP if I ever audibled. Frankly though almost all of those places are difficult for me to enjoy anymore because downtown is always so tourist packed. Have started branching out to other side of the are na but on weekends we may go to Fleet Street. That would be the best place if they’d ban smoking.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling PP will become generic country music bar stop #82 on the bachelorette party circuit a year from now.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I’m more of a Robert’s fan but did enjoy going to PP if I ever audibled. Frankly though almost all of those places are difficult for me to enjoy anymore because downtown is always so tourist packed. Have started branching out to other side of the are na but on weekends we may go to Fleet Street. That would be the best place if they’d ban smoking.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling PP will become generic country music bar stop #82 on the bachelorette party circuit a year from now.
Yeah, but we'll LOVE it. (Grumble)

What purveyors may not quite understand is that there has always been a disconnect between tourists and locals. Tourists want show, we want real. That was one place that catered to us and not to our visitors. Nothing wrong with either type, but I kind of like having both available on game day. We went to some place that had an upstairs bar one time and it was pretty fun. Had an old school vibe. I thought it was Crazy Town but the guy I went with said it was called something else (I think I'm right, though.)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Is there an off-Broadway location for Locals?

Really just depends on how far you’re willing to go. I like Fleet Street but kind of far for pre game plus can be smoky. Martins is good but pulls lots of tourists. The taco place next to country music is ok and so is Bakersfield. Not sure about local/tourist ratio at diner or new bar across from Bakersfield.

Honestly I’d say you have to go a pretty good ways from downtown to escape at this point. We’re finally experiencing what losing a downtown to tourists looks like. Then again, in the late 90s and early 00s it’s not like most locals really wanted to be there anyway, albeit for different reasons.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The times I've been to Bakersfield it has been mostly Preds fans, same with City Tap, Southern and The Diner. But those aren't exactly bars. Different vibe.

I like going to Tavern 96. Wish it was a little bit bigger. Outside of downtown I like Sam's pretty well, but again, it's a different vibe than what it "used to be" My daughter likes Santa's (I think that's the name) for the old time feel. I've never been there.

What we need is a place like Dan & Gracie's in Knoxville (circa 1979). Just a dive bar about a block off Cumberland but boy was it fun!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Bakersfield is pretty cool but nothing will ever top the nostalgia of the Park. On rare occasions my friends and I used to go to Broadway Brewhouse but not often. When it would be a weeknight game if I was waiting on people and by myself for a bit I'd honestly just go to Hooters on 2nd because there's rarely any "big" tourist crowd and you can actually watch sports and hang out in peace.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
PP was an absolute gross **** hole (good riddance) ... the final nail with me was the squishy carpet that never seemed to be cleaned, my g/f was like this place sucks. Haven't been back since.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What we need is a place like Dan & Gracie's in Knoxville (circa 1979). Just a dive bar about a block off Cumberland but boy was it fun!

I don't really remember that place. 1979 was a bit before my time to frequent dive bars (though I was alive and living in South Knox at the time!) Would something like Beer Sellar come close to that?

One I forgot to mention that is a bit off the beaten path is Alley Taps. I can't imagine a tourist ever finding that place. Then again, it might be a secret to locals as well.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Really just depends on how far you’re willing to go. I like Fleet Street but kind of far for pre game plus can be smoky. Martins is good but pulls lots of tourists. The taco place next to country music is ok and so is Bakersfield. Not sure about local/tourist ratio at diner or new bar across from Bakersfield.

Honestly I’d say you have to go a pretty good ways from downtown to escape at this point. We’re finally experiencing what losing a downtown to tourists looks like. Then again, in the late 90s and early 00s it’s not like most locals really wanted to be there anyway, albeit for different reasons.

Hookers and drug dealers or bridesmaids and scalpers?

Reactions: LCPreds

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I don't really remember that place. 1979 was a bit before my time to frequent dive bars (though I was alive and living in South Knox at the time!) Would something like Beer Sellar come close to that?

One I forgot to mention that is a bit off the beaten path is Alley Taps. I can't imagine a tourist ever finding that place. Then again, it might be a secret to locals as well.
I've never heard of Alley Taps and I really need to go to the Beer Sellar sometime. I saw it when I was taking my friend to work last summer. Looked sufficiently dive-y.

Even though I haven't been to those places I'd say it probably comes closer to Roberts or Tootsie's during the 80's. This was a REAL dive--wood floors, dark, lots of beer signs because they take up space, smoky room. No food to speak of, just cold beer and whiskey. I only went the last year or so that I was there--learned about it during a summer when I stayed at UT. Only ones who came there were some guys in a motorcycle gang who weren't too sure about us and my boyfriend's crew, who liked it because it played southern rock, Jimmy Buffet, Hank Williams Jr. and various drinking songs. We went a LOT, usually after baseball games. I can remember one time when we all got on the tables (okay, maybe it was just Craig, his twin brother, my cousin and me) and belted out "Family Tradition" at the top of our lungs. Ah, those were the days. I was just as much at home in other venues. But that was down home and fun and worked well with that particular group of people.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Currently under construction but this will be across the street from the arena soon enough.

2139678394_5andbroad.png.45d31e974272b9f58ea1ec73b2579446.png

Reactions: Drake744

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Heading to Florida this weekend to see one of my best friends marry Zach Bogosian's cousin. I'm going to need to leave my drunkin fan boy attitude here in Atlanta.

Reactions: PredsV82 and Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Speaking of fanboy/girl. Do you remember the guy who played Ben Linus on LOST? He connected with me on Messenger the other day to thank me for a comment I'd made about his acting. I asked and yes, it he assured me it was really Michael Emerson, not a secretary for the fan club/website or something like that. Adding him to my pile of famous encounters...

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Saw the thread title and wondered what kind of construction was going on near Bridgestone.

Anyway, hope to get to a couple games this year. Maybe even do the watch party for the WCF.

Reactions: Adz

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Speaking of fanboy/girl. Do you remember the guy who played Ben Linus on LOST? He connected with me on Messenger the other day to thank me for a comment I'd made about his acting. I asked and yes, it he assured me it was really Michael Emerson, not a secretary for the fan club/website or something like that. Adding him to my pile of famous encounters...
Pretty cool.

We have a guy at work who looks up just about every Blue Jay on facebook and often times they'll have conversations with each other.
Granted, the less of a star they are, the more likely they are to interact.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

I was obsessed with Lost! That's pretty cool. Great actor

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm not the type of person that cares too much about celebrity encounters or one who ohhs and ahhs over stuff like that. That being said my only real encounter with any type of "celebrity" was Shea Weber and that was one of the greatest nights in my life. From a hockey perspective I am very happy with the PK for Weber trade. From a personal standpoint I hated it. Shea is seriously an awesome dude. It's not just the way he portrays himself to the media. He really is as down to earth and humble as he comes off as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad