GDT: UFC on ABC: Holloway vs. Kattar

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Kattar and Ortega both give a tougher fight to Volk than they did to Max. Stylistically Volk is almost a perfect foil to Max and I still think that Max won the 2nd fight.

Just based on what Max said at the end I think they're going to give him the LW title shot after this fight because they don't want to set up Max vs. Volk 3 right now. Personally I'd love to see Holloway fight either of those 2 again; I think he wins both. I don't want to say he took Poirier lightly but...

Poirier beat the shit out of him. Was the bigger guy and he just walked right through him that night.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I had their first fight a draw and the second a clear cut win for Max. Volk is good, but I think Max is elite.
I had Volk winning the first and Max winning the second. Either way, they were both close and neither of them are doing what Max just did to Kattar to the other guy. They are both top of the food chain fighters.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Kattar and Ortega both give a tougher fight to Volk than they did to Max. Stylistically Volk is almost a perfect foil to Max and I still think that Max won the 2nd fight.

Just based on what Max said at the end I think they're going to give him the LW title shot after this fight because they don't want to set up Max vs. Volk 3 right now. Personally I'd love to see Holloway fight either of those 2 again; I think he wins both. I don't want to say he took Poirier lightly but...
Ehhh, I don't know. I assume you mean Poirier or Conor. Both of those guys are f***ing good boxers and hit HARD. I don't know that either could put Max away, but it changes the fight like we saw in Poirier-Max 2. Especially Poirier since we know Poirier can take damage and last 5 rounds.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Volkanovski/Holloway 2 was obviously super close, but there's a bit of revisionist history going on with their first fight. That was a very clear Volkanovski win.
People have been saying that for a while, including right after the fight. I don't see it, but people have been consistent in saying it. I think it is people wanting Max to have won it more than anything.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Volkanovski/Holloway 2 was obviously super close, but there's a bit of revisionist history going on with their first fight. That was a very clear Volkanovski win.
Yeah it was a clear Volk win I agree. That being said I think Max has only gotten better since, he made some great adjustments in the second fight which IMO he should've won and tonight he looked incredible against a guy who gets lauded for having top tier boxing.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Max LANDED 141 strikes in the 4th round ALONE. 141. There are 5 round fights where a guy doesn't even attempt 141 strikes in the whole fight.

MMADecisions, I've never seen where the biggest disagreement between the media is if there were two 10-8 rounds or two 10-8 rounds and a 10-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19 and LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People have been saying that for a while, including right after the fight. I don't see it, but people have been consistent in saying it. I think it is people wanting Max to have won it more than anything.

I haven't re-watched it since the night of it, but was very confident Volkanovski won at least 3 rounds. On MMAdecisions, all 19 had it for Volkanovski. Pretty clear win.

Yeah it was a clear Volk win I agree. That being said I think Max has only gotten better since, he made some great adjustments in the second fight which IMO he should've won and tonight he looked incredible against a guy who gets lauded for having top tier boxing.

For sure. I was really impressed with Holloway in the rematch and he was amazing tonight. As I said above I didn't think I wanted a 3rd fight.. but I think I'm in.

It's good to see Holloway back fully healthy as well. Seems like he's found the right balance of training and rest.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
That fight was bat shit crazy. Best FW in the world, and holy hell at Kattar's toughness. Incredible fight.

Reactions: LSCII

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I haven't re-watched it since the night of it, but was very confident Volkanovski won at least 3 rounds. On MMAdecisions, all 19 had it for Volkanovski. Pretty clear win.
I haven't rewatched it either because I thought it was pretty clear for Volk. I just know other people thought Max won. Again, I think it's them wishing Max won more than anything.

The second fight, I thought Max won watching live. I did rewatch that one and I still believe Max won.

For sure. I was really impressed with Holloway in the rematch and he was amazing tonight. As I said above I didn't think I wanted a 3rd fight.. but I think I'm in.

It's good to see Holloway back fully healthy as well. Seems like he's found the right balance of training and rest.
The tricky part is what do you do if Max wins? You have to give Volk a rematch, right? And if Max wins THAT, then you have the rubber match?

By the way, has there ever been a quadrilogy (if that's a thing) in MMA? And what's after that?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
What a performance by Holloway.

Announcers kept saying FOTY, but just won't be close IMO because of how one sided it was.

Also thought Cormier was going overboard asking for the towel. Kattar was losing but he was still in there to fight. No comparison to the Smith Texiera fight to me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I haven't rewatched it either because I thought it was pretty clear for Volk. I just know other people thought Max won. Again, I think it's them wishing Max won more than anything.

The second fight, I thought Max won watching live. I did rewatch that one and I still believe Max won.

The tricky part is what do you do if Max wins? You have to give Volk a rematch, right? And if Max wins THAT, then you have the rubber match?

By the way, has there ever been a quadrilogy (if that's a thing) in MMA? And what's after that?

I'm sure Travis Fulton has fought the same guy like 100 times on the local scene, but the only ones I can think of at a somewhat high level are Arlovski/Sylvia and Rampage/Wanderlei.

But yeah, it does raise some issues depending who wins. I guess seeing Ortega/Volkanovski actually happen first is a reasonable start before we plan the division too far ahead though.

These things tend to work themselves out in MMA. I remember thinking JDS & Cain were going to fight 5+ times as well and obviously that didn't happen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Poirier beat the shit out of him. Was the bigger guy and he just walked right through him that night.
I dunno, I don't remember it that way. I think he didn't give Poirier enough respect and thought he could just eat the power the same way he can at FW. He still landed his fair share and it was a decently close fight. I think in the rematch he fights smarter.

McGregor doesn't have Poirier's endurance. Holloway would finish him IMO.

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad