Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not really. That season we had Faulk (RHD), Hamilton (RHD), Pesce (RHD) and TVR (RHD). If Rod was really keen on only keeping the RH-LH pairings, he would have gone with Fleury.

Coach just liked TVR better and didn't like Fleury as much. I don't think it was that complicated. Coaches get to see a lot more of players than we do. Subtle parts to their game. How well do they gel with others. How hard do they work off the ice or in practice. How he handles pressure. etc...

We fans like to think that by watching training camp/pre-season games, we know who the better player is or how is doing better, like when people wanted Gauthier to always make the team over other guys (like Necas for instance). In reality, we get glimpses of the whole thing and it gives us fodder for message boards. I do it too, so I'm not picking on others, just pointing it out in general.

Time has proven that to be quite reasonable.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I believe it had as much to do with TVR being a right shot and Fleury a left shot. While Rod says it doesn't matter to him, he clearly prefers righty's on the right side and so forth.
Rod said TVR hadn’t played well, and he said he wasn’t going to sit a veteran in the battle between Fluery and TVR. It’s not me watching the games and thinking TVR lost a heads up battle. Rod acknowledged the situation and said he was going with the vet because he was a vet and had earned the grace. He is fiercely loyal and especially to vets. He didn’t have a problem with Fluery, it was just in his mind the veteran deserves it if it’s close to a tie. I think that’s played out in other situations too. It’s just not worth the fight. I replied once more due to BBA’s comment about what we think we see. I never based my opinions that year on what I saw that year, I did think the kid played well enough and that TVR looked burnt but how I feel about how Rod does it was purely on his comments coming out of that camp about it. Taking that in and watching other battles and seeing who won, it adds up to a way the guy does things which goes perfectly in line with who his is as a guy. Loyal and very respectful to people who have earned that respect. I think what we saw of Faulk’s use that first year is the perfect example. He didn’t care how poorly Faulk did on the pp, and didn’t care that we had acquired a guy in Dougie that was supposed to be in that spot. Faulk had taken a backseat due to his inability to skate in Peters system, Rod presumably really likes Faulk and didn’t like that it went down like that so it was the first thing he corrected. Loyalty. Drury is now a guy who has earned it, he isn’t going anywhere without being traded now. Rod would give him the 2C if he comes even close to being able to hold the job.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It’s just not worth the fight. I replied once more due to BBA’s comment about what we think we see.
It's not worth the fight, but you keep fighting. :sarcasm: (sorry, couldn't resist and this is truly a tongue in cheek comment.).

I look at it this way. There is fact and there is conjecture.

FACT: Rod has played a number of rookies/prospects in his time here (the list I posted.)
CONJECTURE: We all (you and me both) are trying to describe the reasons those facts exist. We both are probably partially right and partially wrong about our conjecture.

Where we both agree (I think), is that if you are a rookie/prospect and want to play, you have to prove you can play the way the Canes play (responsible 2-way hockey) like Svech, Jarvis, Geekie, Lorentz, Foegele, etc.. did.....or at least show enough of that and have enough skill to over-come any deficiencies (ie..Necas).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Cats look terrifying.
EzyKyUQXIAAKHJE.jpeg

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Maybe we all just overrated Tampa based on their regular season stretch run success. On paper, they have a lot of issues. But yeah Florida has been impressive and I think will easily come out of the Atlantic. Feel pretty good about our chances against them if we advance though.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Maybe we all just overrated Tampa based on their regular season stretch run success. On paper, they have a lot of issues. But yeah Florida has been impressive and I think will easily come out of the Atlantic. Feel pretty good about our chances against them if we advance though.
Yeah. I've said for a while that Dallas and Florida, for my money are the best two teams in the league and we're 3rd. The way Florida plays the game is solid and is playoff proven. To top it off, I'd take Bobrovsky in a game 7 right now over any other goalie in the league.

To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

I do agree that Tampa was overrated as hell for a hot streak. Watch them play. They make lots of razzle dazzle plays, especially on the powerplay. Kucherov is still a beast but without as much time and space, they aren't nearly as threatening. Their defensive game is probably worse than Edmonton and any other playoff team other than the Capitals. And their core is getting older and doesn't have the speed they once did.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah. I've said for a while that Dallas and Florida, for my money are the best two teams in the league and we're 3rd. The way Florida plays the game is solid and is playoff proven. To top it off, I'd take Bobrovsky in a game 7 right now over any other goalie in the league.

To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

I do agree that Tampa was overrated as hell for a hot streak. Watch them play. They make lots of razzle dazzle plays, especially on the powerplay. Kucherov is still a beast but without as much time and space, they aren't nearly as threatening. Their defensive game is probably worse than Edmonton and any other playoff team other than the Capitals. And their core is getting older and doesn't have the speed they once did.
I think Vegas has a very clear advantage over everyone right now.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My only concern at this point is that Skjei was hamstrung badly with TDA last game taking that line to a net negative on the game. Skjei has been an excellent player for us this year, so seeing his metrics immediately take a nosedive paired with someone new doesn't make me feel good at all about future rounds against more powerful offensive attacks if Pesce can't come back.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
My only concern at this point is that Skjei was hamstrung badly with TDA last game taking that line to a net negative on the game. Skjei has been an excellent player for us this year, so seeing his metrics immediately take a nosedive paired with someone new doesn't make me feel good at all about future rounds against more powerful offensive attacks if Pesce can't come back.
I didn't necessarily see either of them have a bad game though.

Advanced stats are fine but let's not freak out just because they say one thing.

We all knew the Islanders were going to push really hard in game 3.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not really. That season we had Faulk (RHD), Hamilton (RHD), Pesce (RHD) and TVR (RHD). If Rod was really keen on only keeping the RH-LH pairings, he would have gone with Fleury.
I was more thinking once the season started. Pesce playing on his off side with Faulk confirmed the "talking points" that Rod wanted us to hear. In the end as he was running a righty/righty pairing, I'm guessing he preferred the RHD/LHD.

I'm not exactly arguing with your point as my memory of those pre-season/early season battles is hazy. I do recall seeing Fleury playing pretty well....but I also seem to remember TVR being serviceable too.

I totally agree that while Rod likely prefers veterans given his system's requirements for responsibilities, I believe he takes a number of factors into consideration. When a player clearly outplays another, Rod is best described as a merit-based coach.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I didn't necessarily see either of them have a bad game though.

Advanced stats are fine but let's not freak out just because they say one thing.

We all knew the Islanders were going to push really hard in game 3.
Agreed. The one bad shift was the goal against other than that there was nothing noticeably bad. TDA made some really nice plays in the D zone too. That was basically Tony's 4th game since February, some rust and faults were 100% expected.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The big reason we went to the central was so we could beat the Jets in the first, second and third rounds. We know how much Winnipeg loves running into us. :sarcasm::laugh:
honestly still kinda bummed you guys beat the Jets in year 1, was definitely cool seeing expansion team make the finals and I'm cool with Ovi getting his ring, but that Winnipeg team was a ton of fun to watch as was that Lightning team, really wanted a Winnipeg-Tampa finals that year. oh well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad