How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the best staggery would be to be aggressif at the draft and acquired good player like O’reilly, Brodie , Brodin players like that so he can see that they do the best to bring a competitive team

Not me. I think your plan might work but I don't think we are a cup contender. We might reach the 2nd round if things go our way but we will stumble against the contenders.

With me, it's Tavares and all in moves after that. Or no moves at all. Trade Patch, Petry, Byron, Benn, Schlemko for future picks. Tavares and other significant additions can turn us into a contender. But it starts with Tavares. If he is not interested (I'm fully prepared for that), we focus on youth for a few years. I'd wait for the cap to rise a bit and I also suspect Price and Weber demand trades. We need a higher cap space if we get full return value for Price and Weber. $5M this off season helps. A new expansion team coming and the cap will rise!

Big Fish with more additions or No Fish at all. That's my strategy. We are at a critical point with the direction we should take. Starts with Tavares. Then decide after that. It's all the way to the top or we stay at the bottom. I hate middle of the pack teams.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not me. I think your plan might work but I don't think we are a cup contender. We might reach the 2nd round if things go our way but we will stumble against the contenders.

With me, it's Tavares and all in moves after that. Or no moves at all. Trade Patch, Petry, Byron, Benn, Schlemko for future picks. Tavares and other significant additions can turn us into a contender. But it starts with Tavares. If he is not interested (I'm fully prepared for that), we focus on youth for a few years. I'd wait for the cap to rise a bit and I also suspect Price and Weber demand trades. We need a higher cap space if we get full return value for Price and Weber. $5M this off season helps. A new expansion team coming and the cap will rise!

Big Fish or No Fish at all. That's my strategy. We are at a critical point with the direction we should take. Starts with Tavares. Then decide after that. It's all the way to the top or we stay at the bottom. I hate middle of the pack teams.

ya but trade Pacioretty, Petry and cie, no way JT will sign here

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
the best staggery would be to be aggressif at the draft and acquired good player like O’reilly, Brodie , Brodin players like that so he can see that they do the best to bring a competitive team
We're in a pretty shitty situation tbh. We can't really trade Pacioretty or acquire those type of players until we know for a fact JT will sign here. We have to rebuild if we can't sign him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
ya but trade Pacioretty, Petry and cie, no way JT will sign here

I'd trade Patch at draft day if the return was worth it. Otherwise, I keep him and explore our options with Tavares. Patch is the only guy I would trade before July 1st. The others I mentioned are not traded all at once... after Tavares signs with another team. They are traded one by one as time moves forward. Liquidating assets for a cheap return just to get rid of them is not something I am a fan of.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Big Fish with more additions or No Fish at all. That's my strategy. We are at a critical point with the direction we should take. Starts with Tavares. Then decide after that. It's all the way to the top or we stay at the bottom. I hate middle of the pack teams.
Yep, go big or go home. If you can't get Tavares there's no point in pretending that you can go on a Cup run with the likes of Bozek or whoever else is available. You're better off staying out of the free agent market altogether and focusing your energies on gutting the expensive contracts on your roster, stockpiling picks and building from the ground up. It won't be pretty and it won't turn around in a year but if they commit to it and don't waver it will bear fruit 5 or so years down the road.

If, by some miracle, you get Tavares to sign, then you can't do what Bergevin did after he got Weber (i.e. nothing) If you sign Tavares you have to go full dotard on the win now strategy. To that end you mortgage whatever future you have for all the present you can afford under the cap and you go for it. Really go for it. And if you win, the inevitable collapse is okay because you'll have that banner in the rafters. Of course, if you fall short then you're screwed for the foreseeable. It's a huge gamble. But I'm fine with them taking that risk provided that they don't do any half-measures. Go for it or don't. But don't go halfway and then wimp out.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yep, go big or go home. If you can't get Tavares there's no point in pretending that you can go on a Cup run with the likes of Bozek or whoever else is available. You're better off staying out of the free agent market altogether and focusing your energies on gutting the expensive contracts on your roster, stockpiling picks and building from the ground up. It won't be pretty and it won't turn around in a year but if they commit to it and don't waver it will bear fruit 5 or so years down the road.

If, by some miracle, you get Tavares to sign, then you can't do what Bergevin did after he got Weber (i.e. nothing) If you sign Tavares you have to go full dotard on the win now strategy. To that end you mortgage whatever future you have for all the present you can afford under the cap and you go for it. Really go for it. And if you win, the inevitable collapse is okay because you'll have that banner in the rafters. Of course, if you fall short then you're screwed for the foreseeable. It's a huge gamble. But I'm fine with them taking that risk provided that they don't do any half-measures. Go for it or don't. But don't go halfway and then wimp out.

I think we will all agree with this !

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin need to talk to his buddy Brisson to know if JT is really considering MTL ..

Would that be considered tampering and against CBA rules? Heck, Molson talked about Tavares before the season and it was borderline tampering. If we want to do a sign and trade where the Islanders prefer to get something in return, they may allow us to pre-negioate a contract extension.

If I'm the Islanders, I try to get something in return. I also expect Tavares to respect the team he has played for and he might be all for the sign and trade type deal. After all, Tavares controls where he goes. What is a sign and trade worth for a player who is less than 60 days away from UFA? It's worth what you have to pay to stop another team from a sign/trade deal before July 1st.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
We're in a pretty ****ty situation tbh. We can't really trade Pacioretty or acquire those type of players until we know for a fact JT will sign here. We have to rebuild if we can't sign him.
It really is a difficult situation, but if Bergevin is good at his job he would have some tips right now on whether Tavares will seriously consider Montreal, but either way - he will prepare the greatest pitch of all time to either sway Tavares to sign here, or further convince him to, AND he will prepare for an alternative plan because he surely knows he cannot bank on one UFA regardless.

That said, I think he does have a good impression of where everyone stands right now, as we hear from GMs, analysts, and everyone in the business that MB is constantly working the lines and among the most active GMs. He likely has a plan for the summer, regardless of how things turn out.

Either way, this should be a fun summer. The draft and the apparent personnel moves the Habs will make bodes well for the entertainment value of this summer for all Habs fans!

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Would that be considered tampering and against CBA rules. Heck, Molson talked about Tavares before the season and it was borderline tampering. If we want to do a sign and trade where the Islanders prefer to get something in return, they may allow us to pre-negioate a contract extension.

If I'm the Islanders, I try to get something in return. I also expect Tavares to respect the team he has played for and he might be all for the sign and trade type deal. After all, Tavares controls where he goes. What is a sign and trade worth for a player who is less than 60 days away from UFA? It's worth what you have to pay to stop another team from signing him before July 1st.

Without talking of number ... juste if he is interested and if Brisson and Bergevin take a beer tougher like 2 friends and one time in the night he ask him this no one will know that ... haha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Without talking of number ... juste if he is interested and if Brisson and Bergevin take a beer tougher like 2 friends and one time in the night he ask him this no one will know that ... haha

Invite him to Montreal, take him to one of the "bars", get him loaded, and then ask him if Tavares is interested in Montreal. Pretty sure there would be no evidence this way lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We're in a pretty ****ty situation tbh. We can't really trade Pacioretty or acquire those type of players until we know for a fact JT will sign here. We have to rebuild if we can't sign him.

I'm OK with trading Patch for futures on draft day without knowing if Tavares will sign or not. The picks/prospects we have moving forward can be used to acquire pieces we need in potential trades. Something we did not have a surplus of in previous years. We could also sign one of Kane, JVR, Neal to replace Patch. It would increase our cap a bit (difference between $4.5M and $6M+) but is that a major hurdle? I don't think so

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Would that be considered tampering and against CBA rules? Heck, Molson talked about Tavares before the season and it was borderline tampering. If we want to do a sign and trade where the Islanders prefer to get something in return, they may allow us to pre-negioate a contract extension.

If I'm the Islanders, I try to get something in return. I also expect Tavares to respect the team he has played for and he might be all for the sign and trade type deal. After all, Tavares controls where he goes. What is a sign and trade worth for a player who is less than 60 days away from UFA? It's worth what you have to pay to stop another team from signing him before July 1st.
Tampering exists as a thing in the NHL rule book but it doesn't exist as a thing that a team can get punished for in real life because unless the tampering party is a complete idiot there are ways to muddy the waters enough so that it would be impossible to prove tampering occurred. The fact of the matter is that the textbook definition of tampering is violated by clubs all the time. The only time it ever becomes an issue is when the media finds out about it. But even then you wind up debating rumors and allegations of stuff that took place away from prying eyes. So short of hidden camera footage of a GM tampering with a player under contract to another team, no oe is getting punished. Teams tamper and get tampered with and it all helps to make players richer so the players and their agents don't give a damn either. The rule exists so that the league can say they have a rule. Other than that it's just more word salad for the lawyers to get paid for writing up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tampering exists as a thing in the NHL rule book but it doesn't exist as a thing that a team can get punished for in real life because unless the tampering party is a complete idiot there are ways to muddy the waters enough so that it would be impossible to prove tampering occurred. The fact of the matter is that the textbook definition of tampering is violated by clubs all the time. The only time it ever becomes an issue is when the media finds out about it. But even then you wind up debating rumors and allegations of stuff that took place away from prying eyes. So short of hidden camera footage of a GM tampering with a player under contract to another team, no oe is getting punished. Teams tamper and get tampered with and it all helps to make players richer so the players and their agents don't give a damn either. The rule exists so that the league can say they have a rule. Other than that it's just more word salad for the lawyers to get paid for writing up.

I wonder if Molson is keeping Bergevin cause they know something we don't? I also wonder if the Ontario boy wants to play in Montreal with Price and Weber and go up against the Leafs and their core for many years to come. This might be the reason why he chooses to play out west. The Preds might make a move on him. They are my pick if I had to gamble on it.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I wonder if Molson is keeping Bergevin cause they know something we don't? I also wonder if the Ontario boy wants to play in Montreal with Price and Weber and go up against the Leafs and their core for many years to come. This might be the reason why he chooses to play out west. The Preds might make a move on him. They are my pick if I had to gamble on it.

if he goes to Nashville he gonna have Winnipeg Colorado in the face ... in each division they have good team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
if he goes to Nashville he gonna have Winnipeg Colorado in the face ... in each division they have good team

True but it's not his home province of Toronto, the Bruins, and the Lightning. Put yourself in his shoes? Imagine wearing a Habs jersey and playing games in Toronto? He becomes enemy #1 from the province he was born. This is a concern of mine and it's legit IMO.

Price and Weber are our only hope to convince him. Maybe Tavares looks past the Toronto vs Montreal thing but I'm 50/50 on it. I won't be upset he chooses another team cause I'm prepared he doesn't choose us.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm trying to think of one UFA signing that is a core player on a remaining team and all I can think of is Chara.

It's such a bad way to try to create a roster. It's only use is supplemental players.

Your post evokes the Gord Miller Rule, that’s been referenced extensively on TSN690 this week.

It says that any team that has missed the playoffs in 2 out of the last 3 years should not be signing any UFAs.

Jul 6, 2016
Bergevin need to talk to his buddy Brisson to know if JT is really considering MTL ..

PA Parenteau, a very good friend of Tavares, was interviewed recently on radio by Langlois, and he said that he bet with his father that Tavares was coming to sign with the Habs. He refused to go further even if Langlois was insisting to get more info.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
PA Parenteau, a very good friend of Tavares, was interviewed recently on radio by Langlois, and he said that he bet with his father that Tavares was coming to sign with the Habs. He refused to go further even if Langlois was insisting to get more info.

yes I know I listen it to ! he said it was is gut feeling but din’t had info on this

Reactions: Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I disagree. Tavares, at 27, is good for another 7 years and in his prime for another 3 years, maybe up to five, IMO.

While I agree that making a move to contend doesn't stop with the addition of Tavares, it can be done over a couple of more years, a piece added at a time. Of course, there would need to be more than Tavares this season already, but seeing as we are not only two pieces away from truly contending for a Cup, picking from what is available the offseason alone, going all in with all of you eggs in this basket, may not be the right course of action.

I say add Tavares if he agrees to sign, move someone for a genuine #2 C à la ROR, re-sign Danault as 3rd line C, keep the 3rd overall pick if it's a winger that can play immediately at the NHL level (to be on the rise across the following three seasons) -- either Zadina, Svechnikov or, just a bit of a reach, Wahlstrom.

Move for a medium term upgrade on D, à la Brodie for the left side 1st pairing role.

Then, keep a pulse on developments throughout the season and make an upgrade on D if possible, look for an addition or two at the deadline that can consolidate the D and maybe even a winger position, even if only as rentals.

The following offseason, look to make medium term additions to solidify the lineup, even re-signing a rental or two if they fit the team's needs and aren't signed to unnecessary term.

Planning to have an unbeatable team in three years time, while still contending in the meantime with enough necessary changes (predicted, again, on Tavares signing with us) is smarter than going all-in in one offseason, if only because you would have to settle on pieces that might be available at this time when, not very long after, another better piece could have become available instead.

So, yes, make sure you make other moves to contend, not just Tavares and pray things will eventually work out on their own, but not some maddening refont à la Gainey's topsy turvy offseason not that long ago, just for the sake of saying you tried your best as fast as possible.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Trade Shaw + Sherbak(+ maybe a 3e) for RNH
Sign Stastny
Trade Pacc for Brodie
Draft Zadina

Galchy-RNH-Gally
Hudon-Stastny-Drouin
Lek-Daneault-Zadina
Deslauriers-DLR-Byron
Carr or Rychel

Brodie-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Reilly-Benn

Price
Lindgren

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
True but it's not his home province of Toronto, the Bruins, and the Lightning. Put yourself in his shoes? Imagine wearing a Habs jersey and playing games in Toronto? He becomes enemy #1 from the province he was born. This is a concern of mine and it's legit IMO.

Price and Weber are our only hope to convince him. Maybe Tavares looks past the Toronto vs Montreal thing but I'm 50/50 on it. I won't be upset he chooses another team cause I'm prepared he doesn't choose us.

I wouldn't say that. apparently almost everyone in the NHL really really likes Marc Bergevin, except for the CAL GM, of course ;)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Trade Shaw + Sherbak(+ maybe a 3e) for RNH
Sign Stastny
Trade Pacc for Brodie
Draft Zadina

Galchy-RNH-Gally
Hudon-Stastny-Drouin
Lek-Daneault-Zadina
Deslauriers-DLR-Byron
Carr or Rychel

Brodie-Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Reilly-Benn

Price
Lindgren

I can actually live with that, but I'd flip Hudon with Lehkonen. Hudon is a better playmaker than Lehkonen and Drouin would have a sniper in Lehkonen to feed. Both are two-way players, so switching them up wouldn't expose the 2nd and 3rd lines defensively anymore regardless which of the two were on either line. I'd also put Drouin on LW (to maximize his playmaking) and place Lehkonen on the RW (to maximize his shooting angles).

Of course, I love that 1st pairing on D. I'm comfortable with the Alzner-Juulsen pairing as a 3rd pairing, from what we saw late last season with these two playing together. Remains to be seen if Mete-Petry have the right chemistry over an entire season, but I believe it could work out. Otherwise, we'd only end up switching up Brodie with Mete at even strength and reunite Brodie with Weber on the PP.

I'd trade up from our 35th to a late 1st rounder (by adding our early 3rd rounder, if that can swing it) if it would mean getting Ty Dellandrea with that pick. Poehling and Dellandrea at C in the pipeline would represent, at worst, IMO, two strong #2, two way Cs with offensive upside. One might have enough upside to play 1st line C down the line, in the best case scenario.

With the other 2nd rounders, I'd concentrate on D prospects, of which many quality choices should remain in the 2nd round, and perhaps even beyond. I wouldn't waste a 2nd rounder on a C prospect that maxes out with a 3rd line C ceiling.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's going to be Statsny and Bozak and Plekanec and when it predictably doesn't work everyone will point and say BUT HE DID SO GOOD, HE GOT THREEEEEEEEEEEEE CENTERS!

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's going to be Statsny and Bozak and Plekanec and when it predictably doesn't work everyone will point and say BUT HE DID SO GOOD, HE GOT THREEEEEEEEEEEEE CENTERS!

Don’t forget the Tavares Fake Dream — you’ll find every forum on this site counting on the possibility. There is going to be a massive reality check the day he signs.

In the meantime, why not continue with more meaningless posts about how is he’s likely to sign with us.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce