UFA Watch central thread

How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Tavares as a UFA will not need to pit teams against each other. Most will offer the max right off the bat, lest they are left behind.
Exactly. Tavares will max out no matter where he signs. Any team that offers him so much as one penny less than the max isn't going to get their calls returned. In the end there will be however many teams which offer him max money plus max term and he will simply choose which one of the offers to accept.

This is why he's never going to come to Montreal. He will be able to pocket more of his money in any jurisdiction with lower taxes than Montreal. Most NHL markets have lower taxes than Montreal. The Habs can make up for this on lesser free agents by overpaying them. But guys like Tavares will be paid the max and you can't go any higher than the max so there's no way to overpay. Bergevin's only hope is that the other teams with sufficient cap space try to low-ball him. But the likelihood is that if just one other team makes a max offer to Tavares, they'll get him instead of the Habs. And we already know that there will be more than just one other team making offers.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
What the hell @De Montreal the poll originally said "How much would you offer him?" and reading your initial post I thought we were talking John Carlsson! Now it say's "How much would you offer Tavares?" and I have a vote in at 8.5 million! Lookin silly out here now!

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Question, if we trade a pick for Tavares rights (or any UFA), do we get to sign him for 8 years? or still 7 yrs would still be the max we can offer?

Reactions: Rockomax

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Exactly. Tavares will max out no matter where he signs. Any team that offers him so much as one penny less than the max isn't going to get their calls returned. In the end there will be however many teams which offer him max money plus max term and he will simply choose which one of the offers to accept.

This is why he's never going to come to Montreal. He will be able to pocket more of his money in any jurisdiction with lower taxes than Montreal. Most NHL markets have lower taxes than Montreal. The Habs can make up for this on lesser free agents by overpaying them. But guys like Tavares will be paid the max and you can't go any higher than the max so there's no way to overpay. Bergevin's only hope is that the other teams with sufficient cap space try to low-ball him. But the likelihood is that if just one other team makes a max offer to Tavares, they'll get him instead of the Habs. And we already know that there will be more than just one other team making offers.

No team is gonna offer Tavares 112 mil over 7.

Reactions: 417

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Question, if we trade a pick for Tavares rights (or any UFA), do we get to sign him for 8 years? or still 7 yrs would still be the max we can offer?
We would own his rights. So, sounds like 8

In section 50.8(b)(iv) of the CBA, you can only sign for 8 years if you are on a teams reserve list as of and since the most recent trade deadline. The only way any team besides the Isles can sign him for 8 years is if there is a sign and trade agreement.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

The tax issue only matters when it's to invent excuses for Bergevin's horrific botching of the Radulov negotiation.

When it comes to Tavares, just plug your ears and pretend it doesn't exist. Cause Sportsnet said in September that we had a good shot at getting him so obviously he is coming here! We have cap space! Nothing else matters, not the shitty team we have, not the shitty inept management we have, not our tax situation, not the fact that other teams also have cap space... No no, we have cap space and clearly Tavares dreams of playing with the great Weber and the great Price!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We interrupt this regular programming with so not important news....just got news that while Olivier Galipeau do not want to talk contracts before seasons ends, his agent is....and what he wants is a 2-way contract NHL/AHL. While Bergevin in his infinite wisdom is, for now, offering him a AHL contract so that he doesn't count in the 50 contract limit. 'Cause we will need that limit to sign the bad players we still have to sign......Galipeau jumps in next year in Laval and might be top 4 right away. Let's hope Bergevin wakes up....if he can and give the kid a 2-way.

We are at 34 right now. We will have to add Danault for sure. 35. Guys still unsigned, Carr, Cracknell, DLR, Eisenchmid, Fucale, Grégoire, Hemsky, McCarron, Niemi, Parisi, Rychel, Shaw, Terry, Valiev. We are not resigning all of them. Maybe not even the majority of them. And by doing so not only you can sign Galipeau but you will have room for some more during the summer. So I really don't see what would be the big fuss. Some would say if Galipeau is a big fuss to begin with....I say that if you think it's important to sign Alain, not sure how you cannot see that it's unimportant to sign a lefty Galipeau....2-way it should be.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
We interrupt this regular programming with so not important news....just got news that while Olivier Galipeau do not want to talk contracts before seasons ends, his agent is....and what he wants is a 2-way contract NHL/AHL. While Bergevin in his infinite wisdom is, for now, offering him a AHL contract so that he doesn't count in the 50 contract limit. 'Cause we will need that limit to sign the bad players we still have to sign......Galipeau jumps in next year in Laval and might be top 4 right away. Let's hope Bergevin wakes up....if he can and give the kid a 2-way.

We are at 34 right now. We will have to add Danault for sure. 35. Guys still unsigned, Carr, Cracknell, DLR, Eisenchmid, Fucale, Grégoire, Hemsky, McCarron, Niemi, Parisi, Rychel, Shaw, Terry, Valiev. We are not resigning all of them. Maybe not even the majority of them. And by doing so not only you can sign Galipeau but you will have room for some more during the summer. So I really don't see what would be the big fuss. Some would say if Galipeau is a big fuss to begin with....I say that if you think it's important to sign Alain, not sure how you cannot see that it's unimportant to sign a lefty Galipeau....2-way it should be.

But dude, just trust Bergevin for once, he has a plan!!!!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Lol considering the likes we've given pro deals to in the past, would be stupid to do so with him. Especially when we don't hold his rights at all and he's not some unknown kid a la Ebbing.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Anyway to go back on the subject of signing certain players to one year deals in the hope of trading them, I think the idea is a good one on paper but we've rarely seen it work out for the team in the long run. Toronto tried doing it with the likes of PAP or Matthias and it hardly worked. You need to target the right guys (so no Vanek due to reputation) or you'll end up getting nothing in return.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I think they'll offer the moon and he'll still choose a team like SJ.

I think stastny is much more realistic because they'll offer him Alzner term.

Who are some D that could help in a top 4 role? could Calvin De haan be a low-cost, high payout signing?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The tax issue only matters when it's to invent excuses for Bergevin's horrific botching of the Radulov negotiation.

When it comes to Tavares, just plug your ears and pretend it doesn't exist. Cause Sportsnet said in September that we had a good shot at getting him so obviously he is coming here! We have cap space! Nothing else matters, not the ****ty team we have, not the ****ty inept management we have, not our tax situation, not the fact that other teams also have cap space... No no, we have cap space and clearly Tavares dreams of playing with the great Weber and the great Price!
I Don't have much faith in Tavares coming here. But no doubt Habs be highest bidder.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What the hell @De Montreal the poll originally said "How much would you offer him?" and reading your initial post I thought we were talking John Carlsson! Now it say's "How much would you offer Tavares?" and I have a vote in at 8.5 million! Lookin silly out here now!
I know! Its the mods fault. Initially there was no poll then they added one without a specific name and then they added a name. I must admit it make me laugh and I now hope they change it to Tyler Bozak

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

just give him the contrat we want comme on !

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My strategy with Tavares would be to offer him a Price contract. 7 years at $10.5M. And I would stress the importance of adding multiple pieces and ask him to help us. I would put it very simple. I want you to play for the Canadians and I would like to add you and another significant piece. We have the cap space to do it. Talk to your friends and see if we add both you and Stastny for example. Also talk to other upcomming free agents and maybe we make another huge signing in 2019 off season or a sign and trade during the season.

Price, Weber, Tavares would help us haul more impact players moving forward. Add that we have Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher and guys like Lehkonen, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen behind them, we have something to build on. Especially after this next draft. We can possibly be in on trades if some of these picks show promise. We have way to many for some of them not to surprise us like Mete.

What other team can add two significant pieces? We have just under $20M in cap space with pretty much a full roster (20 players already under contract). Only guy that will get a significant raise is Danault. Other teams have cap space as well but they don't have a full roster. They can add Tavares but they would have a lot of work to do to fit everything in.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
My strategy with Tavares would be to offer him a Price contract. 7 years at $10.5M. And I would stress the importance of adding multiple pieces and ask him to help us. I would put it very simple. I want you to play for the Canadians and I would like to add you and another significant piece. We have the cap space to do it. Talk to your friends and see if we add both you and Stastny for example. Also talk to other upcomming free agents and maybe we make another huge signing in 2019 off season or a sign and trade during the season.

Price, Weber, Tavares would help us haul more impact players moving forward. Add that we have Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher and guys like Lehkonen, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen behind them, we have something to build on. Especially after this next draft. We can possibly be in on trades if some of these picks show promise. We have way to many for some of them not to surprise us like Mete.

the best staggery would be to be aggressif at the draft and acquired good player like O’reilly, Brodie , Brodin players like that so he can see that they do the best to bring a competitive team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad