UFA Watch central thread

How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
2018 UFA Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So there's a thread for the draft, one for trade proposals but with less than 8 weeks away from the opening of the UFA market, there isnt one for the upcoming free agents yet.

To start the conversation, which dman you think might get interest from the Habs? Lefthanded dman include Tobias Enstrom, Thomas Hickey, Ian Cole John Moore and Calvin De Haan. Aside from De Haan, none of them are top 4 material really - aside maybe from 29 years old Cole. One I like the most is De Haan because he's 27 but he is also coming from a big injury.

Obviously, John Carlson is the big name available but he play mostly right side so he's not a good fit with Weber and Petry already on that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrham15

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Carlson is elite though, so I suppose if he was needed on the left, he could. However, I agree he's better off staying in his natural side plus if we did get him in addition to the current D-core, that's like 24-26 million tied up for 4 players.

While the left side is a weakness for us, I think if it is addressed from outside the organization, it'll be via trade.

As for the UFAs, I can see us making Bozak an offer.

Reactions: ArsHabs

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Carlson will be overpaid by someone like Toronto who believes adding him will make them a contender.

I'm sure we'll go after Tavares, Stastny, and Bozak in that order.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
My worst fear is that MB will overpay for Statsny for too long. I see that coming from miles away

Not that Paul is a bad player....but signing him for like 6.5m+ for 6+ years would be a mistake

On the other hand if Tavares is available just give him a blank cheque and tell him to write what he wants. I would have no problem signing him for 10m+. He wiuld be worth it

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Carlson will be overpaid by someone like Toronto who believes adding him will make them a contender.

I'm sure we'll go after Tavares, Stastny, and Bozak in that order.
Well, I think Carlson does make Toronto contenders - and I'm not sure many would argue against this?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Next year UFAs list is much better. I hope Tavares, Carlson and Stastny sign somewhere else and that we end up with 2 years max of Bozak at #1, Plekanec at #2 and Danault at #3.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Well, I think Carlson does make Toronto contenders - and I'm not sure many would argue against this?

I'm not sure he can repeat this year though, his point total jumped by 31 points over last year. I've got a feeling he'll be paid a lot and then be a 30-40 point guy which is less than what he'll be paid for. We'll see though

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Let's assume he signs a 7-year deal.

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Is this a question as a salary to be a Hab? I feel it would be a mistake for the long term success of the franchise to sign Tavares. This is not the team that was a Tavares away from a cup. This team has slid so much since the 2013-2014 season, they aren't even close anymore. No one should be fooled by the regular season success in 2016-2017. The northeast was bruised and battered and the Habs showed their true measure in the playoff against the NYR.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would answer the question another way.

I don't think money is what is going to tip the balance. I'm expecting the vast majority of teams to be close in terms of their offers.

IMHO, it's going to be premised on particular player preferences, i.e. whether there is truth to his wife wanting to live in Canada for professional reasons if not, climate, media hounding and where a club may be at in terms of contention. There probably are other factors but not taxes or salary -- I fully expect those jurisdictions with a high tax base to get into the running by adjusting their offers to make up for their tax disadvantage.

Finally, if I had to put a number on it, it would go over 12.5M in my view. We're working with a 7-year deal not 8, so there might be some pressure to make up for that. Unless I am missing something and there is a way to get an 8-year deal done.

Reactions: jaffy27

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Is this a question as a salary to be a Hab? I feel it would be a mistake for the long term success of the franchise to sign Tavares. This is not the team that was a Tavares away from a cup. This team has slid so much since the 2013-2014 season, they aren't even close anymore. No one should be fooled by the regular season success in 2016-2017. The northeast was bruised and battered and the Habs showed their true measure in the playoff against the NYR.
I fully agree with this, it would hamstring us as much as the other two we are overpaying for. We are a lot more than Tavares away from being a contender. Best take our medicine, suck for a few years, hopefully shed some bad contracts and stock pile prospects. Hopefully we can draft some gems.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

The thing is we aren't trading Price or Weber and I don't think we're tremendously far off. Adding Tavares instantly makes our forward group very good.

I think our D-core can use a PMD but these guys(shattenkirk for example) get traded at deadline too. It's not end of the world.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'd take a shot at Tavares of course. Legit #1 C don't come on the market very often. I doubt he would come here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad