How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't what I'm hearing and reading.

Either MB has a really, really stupid plan which would amount to plan at all (signing Ouellet, Roussel and Rieder), or everyone is up with expectations so low that MB could only end up looking great, considering the said (ridiculously low) expectations.

Reactions: Redux91

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Either MB has a really, really stupid plan which would amount to plan at all (signing Ouellet, Roussel and Rieder), or everyone is up with expectations so low that MB could only end up looking great, considering the said (ridiculously low) expectations.

You're looking at it all wrong.

MB has no plan.

He has NEVER actually had a plan. Every move he's made has been reactive. None of his big moves made any sense in the long run because they were followed up with nothing. The moves were often baffling but everyone assumed they were because he had something to follow them up.

He didn't. They are all just reactive moves with no actual long-term vision on planning involved.

He has one plan, it's been consistent and he's never deviated: "Make the playoffs and anything can happen"

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If I’m Bergevin, I’m signing tradeable assets on 1yr contracts and trading them all at the deadline for picks, ensure we finish near the bottom, and tank for Hughes.

I tell Julien to play an upbeat high tempo type hockey, one that will lead to lots of chances on offence.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If I’m Bergevin, I’m signing tradeable assets on 1yr contracts and trading them all at the deadline for picks, ensure we finish near the bottom, and tank for Hughes.

I tell Julien to play an upbeat high tempo type hockey, one that will lead to lots of chances on offence.
I fully expect Julien to keep playing his passive-aggressive approach to hockey..that's why this team has made re-signing Tomas Plekanec priority #1 for July 1st.

Nothing screams "passive-aggressive" quite like #14

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Since no impact free agents will sign with the Habs and all the B-level UFA's will get more money and term than they deserve, Bergevin's only option is to stockpile veteran players on short, team-friendly deals that he can flip at the deadline to contending teams for picks and prospects. He should be taking flyers on any player with a modicum of offensive ability. So sign a couple of reclamation projects like Yakupov and Duclair. Maybe you get lucky like they did with Radulov. And then sign a guy like Hamhuis to play alongside Weber, sign some vets up front like Filppula or Thornton or Kunitz. Go hog wild on any player who might have value at the deadline. Try and turn as many of them into first or second round picks as possible.

Reactions: dralaf and Edgy

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Since no impact free agents will sign with the Habs and all the B-level UFA's will get more money and term than they deserve, Bergevin's only option is to stockpile veteran players on short, team-friendly deals that he can flip at the deadline to contending teams for picks and prospects. He should be taking flyers on any player with a modicum of offensive ability. So sign a couple of reclamation projects like Yakupov and Duclair. Maybe you get lucky like they did with Radulov. And then sign a guy like Hamhuis to play alongside Weber, sign some vets up front like Filppula or Thornton or Kunitz. Go hog wild on any player who might have value at the deadline. Try and turn as many of them into first or second round picks as possible.

Couldn't agree more.. but i just don't think those guys would sign with Montreal for 1 year contracts when they would have to move again in a couple of months.

Guys like thornton/hamhuis, will likely sign to a cup contender or somewhere down south.. or both

lets accept reality that next year our lineup will be

domi - drouin - gallagher (midget line 2.0)
byron - danault - lekhonen
scherbak - shaw - hudon
mccaron - JDLR - deslauriers

muzzin - weber
alzner - petry
mete - juulson

price
neimi

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Couldn't agree more.. but i just don't think those guys would sign with Montreal for 1 year contracts when they would have to move again in a couple of months.

Guys like thornton/hamhuis, will likely sign to a cup contender or somewhere down south.. or both

lets accept reality that next year our lineup will be

domi - drouin - gallagher (midget line 2.0)
byron - danault - lekhonen
scherbak - shaw - hudon
mccaron - JDLR - deslauriers

muzzin - weber
alzner - petry
mete - juulson

price
neimi
Don't be so sure that Cup contenders want guys like Thornton or Hamhuis around for an entire season. They'd much rather wait and see what, if anything, those two have left in the tank before making a move on them. Most contenders would rather let them play elsewhere and then, if by February they look like they could contribute, make a play for them at the deadline when most of their salary for the season has already been paid.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

The man seems unhealthily obsessed with attitude and character and he's willing to ignore all other components of success as long as he thinks he's making headway on that front.

The image I get is of the team bus going off a cliff while all the players sing "The Wheels on the Bus". It's a travesty, but as long as no one is complaining and everyone is falling in line with the emperor's commands, he's happy.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Lol
You said you’d be extremely disappointed in him if he didn’t get a centre and would consider it a fail for him
How you’ve changed already. Too funny

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Doubt top free agents will sign here as they generally want to win. Plekanec be okay signing, but Beagle or Nash probably be better depth centers. Both are younger, costs about the same but can win facoffs and chip in more offensively. Especially, Nash. Nash played well as top 6 center last season when Kreiji went down, the Bergeron. Albeit a small sample size.

Roussel could be a decent ufa. He has enough speed and grit to play on our bottom. Chip in 15 goals, should be reasonable caphit and at 28, has a few years left. Not like he is 35 and ready to fall off.
You want offensive skill on your top 6, but bottom 6 guys need to be speedy with character to keep teams from knocking around your finesse guys. Wrong to try and play finesse guys on bottom 6. You are losing an element to your team. Guys like Hemsky or DLR are wrong kind of guys to put there. Because they can't support your finesse top 6 guys.

Moore be a good ufa left d-man to sign. He has good mobility and size and has scored more than DeHaan. DeHaan I am more cautious on as he missed most the year to major injury. Moore should be better offensively paired with Weber who can cover for his defensivley. Which has been his downfall, he should overachieve with Weber. Increasing his trade value looking ahead a year or two. In a couple of years can deal him at the deadline when kids are mature. Pick up a first pick, or its equal. Especially, if Habs eat some of his salary but they are in a position to do so.

That is 4 good ufa to help us now and movable in future for draft picks.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Doubt top free agents will sign here as they generally want to win. Plekanec be okay signing, but Beagle or Nash probably be better depth centers. Both are younger, costs about the same but can win facoffs and chip in more offensively. Especially, Nash. Nash played well as top 6 center last season when Kreiji went down, the Bergeron. Albeit a small sample size.

Roussel could be a decent ufa. He has enough speed and grit to play on our bottom. Chip in 15 goals, should be reasonable caphit and at 28, has a few years left. Not like he is 35 and ready to fall off.
You want offensive skill on your top 6, but bottom 6 guys need to be speedy with character to keep teams from knocking around your finesse guys. Wrong to try and play finesse guys on bottom 6. You are losing an element to your team. Guys like Hemsky or DLR are wrong kind of guys to put there. Because they can't support your finesse top 6 guys.

Moore be a good ufa left d-man to sign. He has good mobility and size and has scored more than DeHaan. DeHaan I am more cautious on as he missed most the year to major injury. Moore should be better offensively paired with Weber who can cover for his defensivley. Which has been his downfall, he should overachieve with Weber. Increasing his trade value looking ahead a year or two. In a couple of years can deal him at the deadline when kids are mature. Pick up a first pick, or its equal. Especially, if Habs eat some of his salary but they are in a position to do so.

That is 4 good ufa to help us now and movable in future for draft picks.
Jay Beagle
Riley Nash (15 goals & 41pts last year)
Mark Letestu
Antoine Vermette
Derek Ryan
Torrey Mitchell
Kyle Brodziak
Nick Shore

Would all be cheaper and better options as depth centers than re-signing Plekanec would.

And this doesn't even take into account players internally who could prove to be better value (DLR, McCarron, Evans)

Reactions: Laurentide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->