UFA Watch central thread

How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
If they go after Bozak in any way, shape or form there problems with this management group are much worse than I expected.
I think it's a good idea if they have a plan. I dont think the team can make the playoff next year, with or without Stastny - and even with Tavares, we wouldnt be a lock for a playoff spot. But let's not keep that cap space not used, this only benefit Molson. Use that money to overpay for some veteran (Green, Bozak, Nash, Enstrom) on 1 or 2 years deal, fill some spot, give Drouin the chance to play on the wing, and at the deadline you move them to contender for picks like we did for Plekanec. It's not a long-term solution, but Bozak/Nash make sense to me.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If they go after Bozak in any way, shape or form there problems with this management group are much worse than I expected.

If going hard after Alzner last season and giving him more term than any other UFA D-man last offseason didn't scream that the "problems with this management group are much worse than I expected", I don't see why going after Bozak would be worse.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If going hard after Alzner last season and giving him more term than any other UFA D-man last offseason didn't scream that the "problems with this management group are much worse than I expected", I don't see why going after Bozak would be worse.

well one could hope they learned from their mistake, so if they repeat it then clearly they didn't.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Think it would be a good strategy to buy 2019 and 2020 draft picks by using our cap space / lineup room to sign guys like Bozak, Riley Nash... on big 1 year contract? They probably will be looking for long-term, but if come mid-july they havent signed anywhere they might bite for a 1 year, 6-6.5M$ contract. Then they inflated stats playing 1st line minutes + PP time with us, and we deal them for 2nd round pick at the TDL?

This is in a (very plausible) scenarion in which Tavares want no part of Montréal. Give Bozak and Nash 6M$ each, ride this lineup:

Drouin - Bozak - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Galchenyuk
Zadina - Nash - Lehkonen
Byron - De La Rose - Deslauriers

In this scenario, Pacioretty is dealt for a top 15 pick and we draft a centre like Veleno. Deal Byron / Bozak / Nash at the deadline when we are out of playoff, get another draft with multiples 2nd round pick.

You want to pay Riley Nash $6 million and you think he will be a desirable trade asset with that contract?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
well one could hope they learned from their mistake, so if they repeat it then clearly they didn't.

Bergevin has made exactly zero changes to his front office outside of letting Dudley leave. And Dudley was more on the amateur side, plus his position is not being filled, which implies that his role wasn't that important. They still don't have any full-time analytics staff and the Alzner move itself was part of a larger trend for the team acquiring "solid" guys with high compete levels.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think it's a good idea if they have a plan. I dont think the team can make the playoff next year, with or without Stastny - and even with Tavares, we wouldnt be a lock for a playoff spot. But let's not keep that cap space not used, this only benefit Molson. Use that money to overpay for some veteran (Green, Bozak, Nash, Enstrom) on 1 or 2 years deal, fill some spot, give Drouin the chance to play on the wing, and at the deadline you move them to contender for picks like we did for Plekanec. It's not a long-term solution, but Bozak/Nash make sense to me.

It's counter productive if you are breaking in new young players who are supposed to be part of the future to bring in a player like Bozak who's lazy without the puck and plays a one-way game that the head coach would hate. The example Bozak would set is one I'd rather not see anywhere near the young players on the roster.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Laurentide

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
On a 1 year deal, with 60% of the salary already paid and off the cap, yes, why wouldnt he be?

So your plan is to sign him to an idiotic contract and it's okay to do something as mind-numbingly stupid as paying Riley Nash $6 million because they can then flip him for a 3rd rounder at the deadline?

And you actually call this "a plan?"

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Plus potential retention at the deadline. That's by far the best way to leverage spending ability in a rebuild situation.
Pretty much. See what Vancouver did with Vanek, signed him last summer, gave him lot of ice time to boost his value, and dealt him afterwards. We could have done the same (not necessary with Vanek) instead of signing on that pile of cash.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
So your plan is to sign him to an idiotic contract and it's okay to do something as mind-numbingly stupid as paying Riley Nash $6 million because they can then flip him for a 3rd rounder at the deadline?

And you actually call this "a plan?"
And draft an elite talent in the 3rd round that will turn the franchie around, yes, that's my whole plan.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty much. See what Vancouver did with Vanek, signed him last summer, gave him lot of ice time to boost his value, and dealt him afterwards. We could have done the same (not necessary with Vanek) instead of signing on that pile of cash.

Great example. Montreal must feel so silly now. They could have got Tyler Motte, a 23-year old centre who's career best point total in the NHL is 7 points.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

What exactly did that do for Vancouver? They are now drafting in a worse position and all they got for Vanek were Tyler Motte and Jussi Jokinen, two nobodies. It's a poor example.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What exactly did that do for Vancouver? They are now drafting in a worse position and all they got for Vanek were Tyler Motte and Jussi Jokinen, two nobodies. It's a poor example.
Probably not the best exemple, I thought they got something better than Mote for him

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Plus potential retention at the deadline. That's by far the best way to leverage spending ability in a rebuild situation.
How do you develop the younger players you want to keep to build your team into a contender when their ice time keeps getting taken away by useless free agents that you plan to unload anyway? At some point you've got to play these kids if you want them to be any good down the road. Sherbak was drafted in what? 2011? It's time for him to be on this team out of training camp, not fighting for ice time with a 30-something free agent on a one year deal. Either you're rebuilding or you aren't. If you are, don't waste cap space on aging UFA's who you have no long-term plans for. If you're not rebuilding, then by all means, spend, spend, spend and grab that wildcard spot to help your owner's bottom line.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
How do you develop the younger players you want to keep to build your team into a contender when their ice time keeps getting taken away by useless free agents that you plan to unload anyway? At some point you've got to play these kids if you want them to be any good down the road. Sherbak was drafted in what? 2011? It's time for him to be on this team out of training camp, not fighting for ice time with a 30-something free agent on a one year deal.

You really think Riley Nash and Tyler Bozak would squeeze precious development time from such high end center prospects like *checks depth chart* Jacob De La Rose, Byron Froese and Logan Shaw?

I'll take my chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad