UFA Watch central thread

How much would you offer Tavares?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I don't consider any of those guys core players. Niskanen and Martin are closest but they are still second pairing guys.

Respectively 75 and 66 points this year for Marchessault and Perron. Marchessault was amongst the top30 in points in the league, while Perron was top50. I guess we have a different definition of core players, but to me a top6 forward or top4 D is a core player.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Respectively 75 and 66 points this year for Marchessault and Perron. Marchessault was amongst the top30 in points in the league, while Perron was top50. I guess we have a different definition of core players, but to me a top6 forward or top4 D is a core player.

Core player to me is someone who is integral to the team. Obviously, Vegas is a weird case so I'm not gonna include Perron or Marchessault.

Like the core of the Habs was Patches, Subban and Price. I wouldn't put Niskanen on that level. Core players to me are guys that you wouldn't consider moving. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.. etc.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If we actually were a #1 center from being serious cup contenders, you give him whatever he wants. Since we are not, I don't really think you should pay that much.
It immediately makes them a playoff team.

Luck of the draw gives you a run to the conference finals ala Vegas, and you have to knock off a tough team in Tampa or Penguins?

Simply adding Tavares, plus having a guy like Zadina come in and contribute 15-20 goals on the third line thus making Pacioretty or Galchenyuk expendable for upgrade elsewhere ideally LHD or 2nd center the team isn't far off.

Even without trading Pacioretty or Galchenyuk, adding Zadina and Tavares to the roster next season gives them the ability to beat any team out of the East. But yes, would be in tough against Winnipeg or Nashville

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Luck of the draw gives you a run to the conference finals ala Vegas, and you have to knock off a tough team in Tampa or Penguins?

Simply adding Tavares, plus having a guy like Zadina come in and contribute 15-20 goals on the third line thus making Pacioretty or Galchenyuk expendable for upgrade elsewhere ideally LHD or 2nd center the team isn't far off.

Even without trading Pacioretty or Galchenyuk, adding Zadina and Tavares to the roster next season gives them the ability to beat any team out of the East. But yes, would be in tough against Winnipeg or Nashville

They won't win anything if Price is giving up over 3 g a game JT or not. So if they sign Tavares, they aren't going to win too many 4-3 games imo so they would still be f***ed.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
They won't win anything if Price is giving up over 3 g a game JT or not. So if they sign Tavares, they aren't going to win too many 4-3 games imo so they would still be ****ed.
Price will be fine.

What we should worry about is what the heck do you do when Tavares doesn’t sign with the Habs?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Wholeheartedly disagree. Even with JT and zadina, would we be better than the Leafs? Bruins? Bolts? Nope.
That's just our division. Caps, Pens, definitely not.
We could rival with Jersey and Columbus. That's it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Wholeheartedly disagree. Even with JT and zadina, would we be better than the Leafs? Bruins? Bolts? Nope.
Would we don't know but can we , yes for sure

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would we don't know but can we , yes for sure
Yea sure, if you apply the "anything can happen" philosophy. But we do not much up to those teams 9 times out of 10.
You are not going to argue the difference between Montreal and Pittsburgh/Bolts is Tavares and a 10-20g prospect.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
how do you know Price will be fine? Why did he suck so badly this year?

Down seasons happen to everyone.

Kopitar had 52 pts last year. He got 92 pts this year.

Giroux had 58 pts last year. He got 102 pts this year.

Its even more true for goaltenders.

Theres nothing to suggest Price won't bounce back. Goalies dont decline at 30 years old and Price is too good not to bounce back.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Kriss, imo you're underselling our winger depth. While I don't believe for a second Tavares would consider coming to this gong show, and I don't believe Zadina is NHL ready either, let's say we get Svechnikov and he can score those 15-20 goals @blarneylad talked about along with getting JT, then it gives us massive depth on the wing (Pac, Svech, Drouin, Chucky, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron), and a more than decent centerline, better suited to make our wingers produce.

We'd have our LD/PMD as the biggest remaining issue.

Trade Pac for that LD and we're not far off from competing with the top 5 in the east.

JT is just not coming here though. And I don't see Zadina scoring 20 as soon as next year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kriss, imo you're underselling our winger depth. While I don't believe for a second Tavares would consider coming to this gong show, and I don't believe Zadina is NHL ready either, let's say we get Svechnikov and he can score those 15-20 goals @blarneylad talked about along with getting JT, then it gives us massive depth on the wing (Pac, Svech, Drouin, Chucky, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron), and a more than decent centerline, better suited to make our wingers produce.

We'd have our LD/PMD as the biggest remaining issue.

Trade Pac for that LD and we're not far off from competing with the top 5 in the east.

JT is just not coming here though. And I don't see Zadina scoring 20 as soon as next year.

Perhaps, but there's a problem there, you named 8 wingers...
Paul Byron is not scoring 20 Goals if he is on the 4th line because there is a big difference between having Gallagher and Hudon averaging 16min per night, and being centered by DLR around 10 min on average.
Lehk, I was never convinced honestly, I don't think he's much more than a depth winger.
Chuck-Drouin-Gallagher are good wingers to have, so is Patches despite his flaws. So ya, we'd have a pretty good group. Add Zed-Svech to that.
I am not convinced those guys are going to excel in a Julien system, but sure, it could happen.

That said, our back end looks like pure hot trash. So trade Patches, well good, but our best winger is now gone. Maybe Drouin could become that premiere guy next to JT. That would be awesome.
But JT still had some very productive guys in New York, with Barzal, Lee, Eberle, Bailey, their issue came from the back end, and so would ours.

Get JT, Svech and a top PMD...well then, sure, things could definitely be different, especially if Price bounces back.
I think most teams can say the same. Give Arizona JT, Svech and another OEL, and they will be in business too.

I suppose it's not impossible. There are definitely some things we could do.

Last edited:

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
If we actually were a #1 center from being serious cup contenders, you give him whatever he wants. Since we are not, I don't really think you should pay that much.
this. Personally, I think Tavares is overrated but regardless he might help our team scrape into the playoffs. Is that what we want? We need a rebuild not another 8 years of mediocrity.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Perhaps, but there's a problem there, you named 8 wingers...
Paul Byron is not scoring 20 Goals if he is on the 4th line because there is a big difference between having Gallagher and Hudon averaging 16min per night, and being centered by DLR around 10 min on average.
Lehk, I was never convinced honestly, I don't think he's much more than a depth winger.
Chuck-Drouin-Gallagher are good wingers to have, so is Patches despite his flaws. So ya, we'd have a pretty good group. Add Zed-Svech to that.
I am not convinced those guys are going to excel in a Julien system, but sure, it could happen.

That said, our back end looks like pure hot trash. So trade Patches, well good, but our best winger is now gone. Maybe Drouin could become that premiere guy next to JT. That would be awesome.
But JT still had some very productive guys in New York, with Barzal, Lee, Eberle, Bailey, their issue came from the back end, and so would ours.

Get JT, Svech and a top PMD...well then, sure, things could definitely be different, especially if Price bounces back.
I think most teams can say the same. Give Arizona JT, Svech and another OEL, and they will be in business too.

I suppose it's not impossible. There are definitely some things we could do.

Yeah but JT aint comin anyway

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Theres nothing to suggest Price won't bounce back. Goalies dont decline at 30 years old and Price is too good not to bounce back.

Sure but it doesn't mean he's going to bounce back since we don't know why he was so terrible. Was it injury, the defense? either way the Habs won't win if he's letting up 3 g a game. So they need to hope he rebounds and then they need the defense to be much better and then they need the offense to be a lot better.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Yes, we would be better than the leafs because despite how bad our defense is, theirs is worse. Better than the Bruins? Tough call but they are beatable especially if the habs are adding Tavares. Caps and Pens will remain tough matchups no doubt but due to the way the divisions line up Habs only have to go through one of Pens or Caps. Bolts? Ya no they still remain undoubtebly better even with habs adding Tavares and Zadina/Svech

The real arguement shouldn't be who would be better on paper in the fantasy world of Tavares signing with Montreal, but what is the real plan here? Because unless Tavares does sign which makes the Habs infinitely better but still not good enough than what?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

Fleury lost his job to Murray in Pittsburgh. As an example. Holtby also had a down year this year but is raising his game in the playoffs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes, we would be better than the leafs because despite how bad our defense is, theirs is worse. Better than the Bruins? Tough call but they are beatable especially if the habs are adding Tavares. Caps and Pens will remain tough matchups no doubt but due to the way the divisions line up Habs only have to go through one of Pens or Caps. Bolts? Ya no they still remain undoubtebly better even with habs adding Tavares and Zadina/Svech

The real arguement shouldn't be who would be better on paper in the fantasy world of Tavares signing with Montreal, but what is the real plan here? Because unless Tavares does sign which makes the Habs infinitely better but still not good enough than what?
I'd put their offense ahead of ours and I disagree about our defense being better. Weber is the best guy but really, the rest is crap. You are also comparing our roster, which you improved, to a Leafs roster that remains the same...unfair a bit don't you think?
So we improve but the Leafs stay the same?

All in all, you can say the Habs would match up well, but there is no certainty that we would be better. Even without their teams changing at all, you can't say we would be superior to the Bruins-Bolts-Pens-Caps. Maybe just the Leafs...
That right there tells you the best option is probably not to go for JT, but to move Price-Weber-Patches for picks/prospects, and go for a complete rebuild.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
So what about my proposition of signing both Bozak and Nash to big money 1 year deal and flip them off at the trade deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->