UFA targets

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Can we not sign anyone this offseason? Just play our signed vets with the kids, let suck this year, draft the new face of the franchise next year and spend a lot of money on 2019 ufa class.

Reactions: Off Sides

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
The cap floor is going to be about $59 million and the rangers are $9 million under the floor. They have to sign a UFA or (more likely) overpay some RFAs. There's no harm in overpaying an RFA/UFA for a couple of seasons. Only long term UFA I'm interested in is Tavares but that's just to peeve off my family. :)

If we re-sign all our RFAs we are likely over $70 million.

Block More Shots

Jul 19, 2005
NJ
I like the idea of signing guys like Rieder and Duke if possible...1 year, possibly 2 years max, as bridge players during the rebuilding process...similar to how I view Name and Spooner.

Reactions: eco's bones

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Tavares.

Everyone should say Tavares. A talent like him comes through the free agent market once a decade.

The Rangers will have no one in the system who will be Tavares level. And he is still in his prime.

Id have no problem giving Tavares $12.5M and be a top-5 center in the league, especially when we had allocated $11.5M at one point to Staal and Girardi.

Get Tavares, Lundqvist will have 1-2 more solid years, let guys like Lias, Chytil, Shestyorkin, etc come up and reach their potential.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you need to finish bottom-3 in NHL for 5-years in a row.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Tavares.

Everyone should say Tavares. A talent like him comes through the free agent market once a decade.

The Rangers will have no one in the system who will be Tavares level. And he is still in his prime.

Id have no problem giving Tavares $12.5M and be a top-5 center in the league, especially when we had allocated $11.5M at one point to Staal and Girardi.

Get Tavares, Lundqvist will have 1-2 more solid years, let guys like Lias, Chytil, Shestyorkin, etc come up and reach their potential.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you need to finish bottom-3 in NHL for 5-years in a row.

Taveres is a very good player. This team isn't ready to pay someone like him and waste the first 2 years of his contract while they try to back-fill other spots.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I’m not dropping over 100k during a long term rebuild on his childhood dream.

And I hope the Rangers do not make a decision based on his “dream”.

As a child , I was hoping I’d be able to visit Neptune as an adult. Tough ****.

Don't give up, one has to get to Uranus before Neptune. You have to admit, JVR is more probable than either however.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
They'll be in on a few guys, but nothing crazy. Komarov is a interesting player. Blake Comeau just so he stops scoring against us. Someone mentioned Versteeg to get his value up and deal him. Could totally see them signing Bieksa to a 1 year deal as a vet.

As for a backup G, I'm all for bringing back Prince Chad to take his place next to the King.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Hayes will cost at least $5 based on reports. Names/Spooner/Vesey/Nieves/Skjei are going to cost $12+. Maybe it's cheaper but it could cost $18 million to sign that group. I'm not saying it will but it could. And we need a goalie.

Even if we manage to sign our RFAs for $15 million, and get a $1 million backup (or $800k for Georgie), you're at $66 million. I'm not saying we have a cap issue, far from it, but we will be nowhere near the floor. $8-12 million in cap space to play with, barring any trades.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Tavares.

Not for nothing...

But if you're the guy who turns his back on guys he's fought and bled with foe his whole NHL career to sign with their absolute arch rival for the money, then you're not my type of guy. You're a soulless money grabbing pirate and I don't want you anywhere near my team.
Take your parrot and your eye patch and go walk your plank. I don't care if this team finished last until Tavares retires. It would be the biggest F U moment in the last ten years and there's not a shred of evidence that leads me to the conclusion that JT is the personality that would do that.

Reactions: egelband

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Not for nothing...

But if you're the guy who turns his back on guys he's fought and bled with foe his whole NHL career to sign with their absolute arch rival for the money, then you're not my type of guy. You're a soulless money grabbing pirate and I don't want you anywhere near my team.
Take your parrot and your eye patch and go walk your plank. I don't care if this team finished last until Tavares retires. It would be the biggest F U moment in the last ten years and there's not a shred of evidence that leads me to the conclusion that JT is the personality that would do that.

Like Scott Gomez coming to the Rangers from the Devils when their rivalry was arguably at its peak?

It doesn't matter to me. Hockey is a business. If Tavares hits the market, you go for him.

What does Tavares owe the Islanders? He has carried them to three playoffs in nine years with incompetent management, so he cannot sign with a rival team?

Tavares will be booed no matter what team he goes too. He was offered $11M per year and $88M total from Islanders. If he turns that down and goes to San Jose, Islanders fans will feel disgusted with him.

You never pass up on a game breaker like Tavares. When they virtually never hit the market.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Tavares.

Tavares wont sign here.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Don't give up, one has to get to Uranus before Neptune. You have to admit, JVR is more probable than either however.

Yes, signing him is definitely more feasible than reaching Neptune, but who gives a shit what his alleged dream was.

First, even if it werrr his lifelong dream, so what? It would be a dumb signing.

Furthermore , all he said years ago was he was a Ranger fan growing up, and he said that when he was much younger. Maybe it doesn’t even bother him anymore now that’s he’s a grown man.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Like Scott Gomez coming to the Rangers from the Devils when their rivalry was arguably at its peak?

It doesn't matter to me. Hockey is a business. If Tavares hits the market, you go for him.

What does Tavares owe the Islanders? He has carried them to three playoffs in nine years with incompetent management, so he cannot sign with a rival team?

Tavares will be booed no matter what team he goes too. He was offered $11M per year and $88M total from Islanders. If he turns that down and goes to San Jose, Islanders fans will feel disgusted with him.

You never pass up on a game breaker like Tavares. When they virtually never hit the market.
It's exactly like Gomez except JT is better. You know how that worked. I understand your position. I don't share it.
It's not about the boos. It's about the personality it takes to turn your back on guys you are teammates with and become their enemy. I don't think JT is that guy regardless of how Rangers management views him.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
A week away now:

Some guys I wouldn't mind us looking at:

1. Matt Calvert
2. Antoine Roussel
3. J. T. Brown
4. Michael Grabner
5. Leo Komarov
6. Michal Kempny
7. Brandon Manning
8. Carter Hutton (if we're looking for a backup goalie)

I wouldn't be surprised if James Van Riemsdyk signed with us either. That will be pricey but we have plenty of cap space.

Komarov all the way. We need a veteran Russian and we need a guy that throws over 200 hits.

We don't need any Dmen, we have too many of ours.

Roussel would be great, but I doubt he signs here.

Grabner is fine too.

Reaves would be number 1 target though.

Also how about Viktor Stalberg?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not for nothing...

Oh please.

They can’t even get their fans to go to the f***ing games.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Oh please.

They can’t even get their fans to go to the ****ing games.
Ok. Let's pretend that the guy hasn't already said that he's not signing with the Rangers. Let's pretend that the list of 5 teams he is meeting with actually does have the Rangers on it when we know it doesn't. I mean that's what internet message boards are for right? So we can beat hypothetical dead horses to the point of exhaustion. You guys win. By all means, sign JT.

Dreamland. Population: You.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ok. Let's pretend that the guy hasn't already said that he's not signing with the Rangers. Let's pretend that the list of 5 teams he is meeting with actually does have the Rangers on it when we know it doesn't. I mean that's what internet message boards are for right? So we can beat hypothetical dead horses to the point of exhaustion. You guys win. By all means, sign JT.

Dreamland. Population: You.

You switched your argument.

I didn’t say he will be signing.

I was chiding your antiquated view on team loyalty in the corporate era

Particularly when he already gave them an extra bridge year, and their fans don’t even go to the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad