Some guys I wouldn't mind us looking at:

1. Matt Calvert
2. Antoine Roussel
3. J. T. Brown
4. Michael Grabner
5. Leo Komarov
6. Michal Kempny
7. Brandon Manning
8. Carter Hutton (if we're looking for a backup goalie)

I wouldn't be surprised if James Van Riemsdyk signed with us either. That will be pricey but we have plenty of cap space.

Reactions: Ori

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Pateryn I think likely re-signs where he is but I think if he makes it to UFA the Rangers should have some level of interest. Same for Calvert, Riley Nash.

I am not on the JVR train, or really any any train that includes expensive, long term, clause filled deals.

I would not be upset if they just avoided the market altogether if the prices are high, which they will be.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah Hutton might be a name Gorton looking at for sure.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yeah Hutton might be a name Gorton looking at for sure.

Think we end up. A cheap deal w a Mrazek type . I’m fine w Georgiev though

Some vet thet can flip at the deadline isn’t a bad idea though

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Goalie: Hutchinson- Decent back-up, and a guy that can benefit from Benny. Won't cost much and a 1 year deal might be enough.
D: Sustr/Folin- 7th/8th D that can fill in and kill penalties while the kids cook. 1 year, deal that's a depth signing
F: Derek Ryan- Center/Winger. RH shot, really good speed and has some offensive upside. Hardworking guy with a versatile toolset and low hockey mileage for his age.
Michael Grabner- Known quantity, speed, PK option. Has scored under AV's system, not sure if that will apply under Quinn, but does other things well enough to warrant a look.

Trade market should be a little more interesting if things open up, but until the Rangers get some cost certainty around some of their guys, I doubt Names/Spoons get moved.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Cute one-liner, but I doubt you really believe that.

i 1000% believe that. people that think we are going to sign ufas to try to push for the playoffs need to get with the program. if we trade a bunch of guys and then backfill with UFAs thats fine but if all the RFAs are gonna be back we don't need to sign anyone. We have kids that need to play to develop and show us what they have before the next wave of kids arrive. its a REBUILD

Neilstrong218

Mar 29, 2018
Cute one-liner, but I doubt you really believe that.
+1
2KkcJtx

2KkZCIy

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
this list should be blank

If the cap goes to 80 mil the Rangers will have a lot of cap space to play with. Hayes and Skjei might take up a bit of it--and depending on who stays or goes there's Spooner, Namestnikov and Vesey. The Rangers have holes and are not going into the season with 7 or 8 rookies. The other point is the cap space can and should be used--players the Rangers signed can later be moved for other assets like prospects and draft picks--don't use that money and we won't get anything for it---it will be straight into Dolan's pocket. He's already a billionaire and he doesn't need it.

But the point about players like Calvert, Roussel, Komarov, Brown is these are guys who play hard--always direct line to the puck and they make a lot of physical contact. If the Rangers are sincere about being a harder, grittier team to play against they are going to have to get players that play that way. They have very few of those types now. These guys will play hard and will get nasty and none of them should break the bank. Manning as a defenseman is fearless. He has decent skills and is really a bottom pairing guy but he's a consistent player. He's everything Brendan Smith could be for us except that Smith lacks the focus. Manning knows his limitations and plays with heart and he won't back down from anyone. Getting two of these guys would very much help us to re-identify as a team that is hard to play against.

The other point of the list I made is they would be shorter term contracts---that none of the players are in their mid-30's--most are still in their 20's. I'm not into handing out long term contracts to guys who will be shells of what they are now when their term expires. Shorter term contracts are also contracts easier to move.

In the case of Van Riemsdyk--he's been a Rangers fan all his life. He is still a very good goal scoring threat and we're not exactly super strong on the left wing. If he'd be willing to take the Shattenkirk deal IMO he would be a good pickup. He's not as rounded as Nash as far as his overall game but I don't think we're going to be nearly as frustrated with his offensive production.

Another thing to keep in mind is what happens if other teams start targeting players like Chytil which could very well happen....especially if Chytil is making an impact. Got to protect your kids.

Mr Saji

Apr 25, 2018
Austin Czarnik. Small winger with speed and a ppg player in the AHL. Hasn't gotten a real good crack at the lineup in Boston. He's going to be cheap and could be a replacement for Zucc should he end up traded. Maybe he turns into the next Marchessault, or maybe he comes in and scores 20-30 points on a sub million contract. Worth the shot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's who I like:

Goalies:
Robin Lehner
Andrew Hammond
Michael Hutchinson

Centers:
Val Filpulla
Derek Ryan
Tyler Bozak
Riley Nash
Matthew Peca

Wingers:
Antoine Roussel
Matt Calvert
Blake Comeau

Defense:
Nick Holden

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All I heard about Flipulla all year was that he was absolutely atrocious for Philly. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

Wouldn't look to add to much by way of UFA, but I do like Calvert.

Reactions: Off Sides

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Here's who I like:

Goalies:
Robin Lehner
Andrew Hammond
Michael Hutchinson

Centers:
Val Filpulla
Derek Ryan
Tyler Bozak
Riley Nash
Matthew Peca

Wingers:
Antoine Roussel
Matt Calvert
Blake Comeau

Defense:
Nick Holden
Why so many centers?

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Grabner seems to thrive under very specific conditions. I'm not sure if Quinn's system would put him in those conditions. He was great under Vignault but I'm not sure I want him back unless he's cheap. His PK ability is still worth paying for but I wouldn't count on him for scoring under Quinn.

Reactions: egelband

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
lehner- proven guy and he's swedish.
grabs - love this guy

im banking on brendan smith returning to form this year

full time spots for ADA and pionk means the defense is pretty set.

no on JVR. he cant play 5v5. he's a pp machine but doesnt add much at even strength. stay away

NO RICK NASH

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Rangers either need to go big and add Tavares or do nothing (essentially, if not literally). If we aren't adding elite top end talent, there is no reason to try to patch the roster into playoff contention. Get veterans to shelter the young guys who need sheltering, but otherwise, plan on sucking and getting another top pick next year.

Then aim to compete again the following year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->