UFA targets

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tavares.

Everyone should say Tavares. A talent like him comes through the free agent market once a decade.

The Rangers will have no one in the system who will be Tavares level. And he is still in his prime.

Id have no problem giving Tavares $12.5M and be a top-5 center in the league, especially when we had allocated $11.5M at one point to Staal and Girardi.

Get Tavares, Lundqvist will have 1-2 more solid years, let guys like Lias, Chytil, Shestyorkin, etc come up and reach their potential.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you need to finish bottom-3 in NHL for 5-years in a row.

No one should be saying Tavares.

Plus the Rangers didn't make his list. It's not happening and was never happening.

Let it go.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why should “no one” be saying Tavares?

There is also a non-disclosed yet lower chance phone list for suitors.

Because a team 4 months into a rebuild doesn't need to be signing UFAs to max dollar contracts. Almost all UFA contracts turn out to be horrible for the team after 4 or 5 years...so essentially you are paying later to win now. Considering this NYR team will be the furthest thing from a contender in year 1, and might possibly be able to sniff the playoffs in year 2, there is no reason to waste half of the remaining prime years of Tavares (or any $$$$ UFA) only to then suffer through the final couple of years on the back end. It just makes no sense. You want to sign big time UFAs, great, do it when the team is in a position to actually make some noise. Talk to me next summer or the summer after that. Until then it's just setting yourself up for disaster.

Fortunately word on the street is the Rangers aren't interested in JT and he isn't interested in NYR.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Because a team 4 months into a rebuild doesn't need to be signing UFAs to max dollar contracts. Almost all UFA contracts turn out to be horrible for the team after 4 or 5 years...so essentially you are paying later to win now. Considering this NYR team will be the furthest thing from a contender in year 1, and might possibly be able to sniff the playoffs in year 2, there is no reason to waste half of the prime years only to then suffer through the final couple of years on the back end. It just makes no sense. You want to sign big time UFAs, great, do it when the team is in a position to actually make some noise. Talk to me next summer or the summer after that. Until then it's just setting yourself up for disaster.

Fortunately word on the street is the Rangers aren't interested in JT and he isn't interested in NYR.

If the Rangers ARE NOT doing the full nose dive rebuild , then they should pursue Tavares.

“Word on the street” also says Rongos don’t want to do a multi year feed, and are looking at more of a retool.

Also, he has 5 teams right giving him full board presentations on their 4-7 team projections because they would be fools not to.

Even Boston is flying in.

Truth is the Rangers have signed all types of free agents , yet they could finally get their center.

Anyway, I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but I haven’t heard solid reasoning for why we wouldn’t want it to happen.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Here's who I like:

Goalies:
Robin Lehner
Andrew Hammond
Michael Hutchinson

Centers:
Val Filpulla
Derek Ryan
Tyler Bozak
Riley Nash
Matthew Peca

Wingers:
Antoine Roussel
Matt Calvert
Blake Comeau

Defense:
Nick Holden

I don't want Lehner near my team. Garbage player and even worse human being.

Reactions: Hire Sather

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If the Rangers ARE NOT doing the full nose dive rebuild , then they should pursue Tavares.

“Word on the street” also says Rongos don’t want to do a multi year feed, and are looking at more of a retool.

Don't confuse trying to win with doing a retool. The team already tried the retool a year or so ago, and it didn't work. So they decided it was time to tear it down and do it the right way. They wrote letters to the fans and had press conferences about it. This is a rebuild, make no mistake about it. This coming season will be bad, one of the worst in a long time. The year after should be better, but again, we won't expected to be contenders. So it will be a multi year process...but that doesn't mean a decade. The bottom line is unless Ottawa calls you to sell you EK for pennies on the dollar, we should NOT be trading for superstars or signing the most expensive UFAs to lifetime contracts. At least not this summer.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Tavares.

Everyone should say Tavares. A talent like him comes through the free agent market once a decade.

The Rangers will have no one in the system who will be Tavares level. And he is still in his prime.

Id have no problem giving Tavares $12.5M and be a top-5 center in the league, especially when we had allocated $11.5M at one point to Staal and Girardi.

Get Tavares, Lundqvist will have 1-2 more solid years, let guys like Lias, Chytil, Shestyorkin, etc come up and reach their potential.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you need to finish bottom-3 in NHL for 5-years in a row.
I feel like a player who "comes through FA once a decade" comes through like every other year these days.

Now's not the time for this team to throw money at a UFA. They don't know what the biggest need with the new core will be. When that becomes clear, they should throw money at a UFA that matches it if he becomes available.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Don't confuse trying to win with doing a retool. The team already tried the retool a year or so ago, and it didn't work. So they decided it was time to tear it down and do it the right way. They wrote letters to the fans and had press conferences about it. This is a rebuild, make no mistake about it. This coming season will be bad, one of the worst in a long time. The year after should be better, but again, we won't expected to be contenders. So it will be a multi year process...but that doesn't mean a decade. The bottom line is unless Ottawa calls you to sell you EK for pennies on the dollar, we should NOT be trading for superstars or signing the most expensive UFAs to lifetime contracts. At least not this summer.

They didn’t retool or rebuild a few years ago. They doubled down.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

They're tearing it down and rebuilding while they are looking to resign Nash and Grabner... wait... what?

They're not doing a full rebuild if they're looking to resign players they just traded.

I don't know why people think finishing bottom-3 in the league for five years, hoping to draft first overall, is better than a one or two year retool. That is not fun hockey to watch.

Even if you finish dead last you only have an 18% chance to draft 1st overall. It's not worth it.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
They're tearing it down and rebuilding while they are looking to resign Nash and Grabner... wait... what?

They're not doing a full rebuild if they're looking to resign players they just traded.

I don't know why people think finishing bottom-3 in the league for five years, hoping to draft first overall, is better than a one or two year retool. That is not fun hockey to watch.

Even if you finish dead last you only have an 18% chance to draft 1st overall. It's not worth it.

How is resigning Grabner equal to not doing a rebuild? He's not that expensive and isn't getting a long term deal. And he could potentially be moved at the deadline for assets again. Doing a rebuild doesn't mean you can only play guys from within your own system.

And who is talking about bringing back Nash?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ok so the Rangers plan to rebuild by not only refusing to full tank, but also targeting other high priced UFAs who aren’t centers to long term contracts?

What a breath of fresh air to try something so new and different between 7th and 8th?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
LMFAO, who ****ing cares? It's a moot point because they guy adds nothing of value to the team on the ice, but imagine building a team around political ideologies and what stickers someone has on their mask, or car, or gym bag. :lol:

Absurd.

Not building a team around it, but when it comes to a marginal player like that, I'll pass. I don't want to root for him.

Backup goalie isn't a need, anyway.

People on the other side want to keep Kaepernick out cause they can't root for him, so whatever.

It's become that crazy for me.

It goes way beyond politics with the president. Way beyond.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The

Is

Unfortunately

I'll believe it when they sign him. I'd give it a less than 1% chance of that happening. So a guy who might be considering hanging them up due to health concerns is going to sign with one of the league's worst teams? lol That's gonna happen.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'll believe it when they sign him. I'd give it a less than 1% chance of that happening. So a guy who might be considering hanging them up due to health concerns is going to sign with one of the league's worst teams? lol That's gonna happen.

Honey child...I didn't say it was happening?

I asked why wouldn't people want it?

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->