UFA targets

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
My top targets would be JVR, Brandon Manning, and maybe overpay Perron for a few years if they want to win some games for Hank. But it seems like Perron wants a ridiculous contract. I wouldn't be against bringing back John Moore for the right price.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Would love to bring Grabber back. I really believe with a new coach and and kind of breath of fresh air in the locker room this team could compete for a shot at a playoff spot. We still have some quality players on this team, and Hank played really well for the most part.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Just a link, if anyone is interested in past free agent signings. You can change the year. Sometimes looking back into history is a good idea.

2016 NHL Free Agents Tracker

It's yet another thing my opinion probably varies from with others, there are just not many long term, expensive contracts that look good in hindsight.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I understand the sentiment behind this post, but it's just not practical. They need to ice a team and not the kind of team we saw post trade deadline with the O'Garas of the world.

I get his/her sentiment too but one way to sometimes ruin a younger player is to play him before he's ready. Not everybody starts swimming right away after they're thrown in the deeper end of the pool. Call it a rebuild--call it a retool but getting lots of younger players/prospects made a lot of sense for us but that doesn't mean you start playing them right away. You start playing them when you think they can handle it--and you can't just throw a bunch a 1-2-3 year pros together and say this is our team. You need some some nurturing and you need leadership and you need to make sure that those younger players aren't soaking in a losing atmosphere. You want them to think that they are working towards something positive and achievable and losing too much for too long is why you have teams like the Islanders or Florida or Arizona hardly ever making the playoffs. It's almost in the cultures of those teams that they are losing teams.

Going forward with 4/5 first/second year players this season is enough.....and if we do the same again next year that's fine too. Use your cap space in ways to fill holes now and to bring in more assets in the future. Not using it won't improve the team now or ever. If it's not used it's wasted cap space.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I understand the sentiment behind this post, but it's just not practical. They need to ice a team and not the kind of team we saw post trade deadline with the O'Garas of the world.

and barring trades how are we not icing a team?

its a rebuild so i'm putting chytil and anderson on the team...

up front you've got zibanejad, kreider, zuccarello, fast, buchnevich, spooner, hayes, vesey, chytil, anderson, namestnikov, nieves, belesky, holland, lettieri. thats 15 forwards

and on the blueline you've got shattenkirk, staal, pionk, deangelo, kampfer, gilmour, skjei, smith, bigras. thats 8 dmen

might not be a pretty group but we don't need bodies for the sake of bodies...

if you are bringing in someone that can be part of the long term solution then i'm on board but if you are talking about bringing in a 30+ year old that won't be here when the team is ready to compete then whats the point? we still aren't making the playoffs so drop the illusion of 'competing'.

the forward group isn't that bad...the blueline is pretty awful but we are stuck with staal and smith. And I think its much more important to try to find out what we have in Gilmour, Pionk, Deangelo and Bigras before the next wave of dmen are ready. Those 4 aren't all going to be part of the long term plan. But lets find out what we have before hajek, lindgren, rykov, etc are ready.

and the fact that we aren't even talking to tavares tells you that we aren't after top end free agents...we'll be shopping in the bargain bin to add depth after trades are made...but i see little need for that bargain bin depth if we haven't moved out any veterans

Reactions: jas and Off Sides

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nash is looking for a multiyear deal. How many years would the Rangers want him for? It's rumored that Columbus is interested in him now. They weren't at the deadline back in February.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
This team really shouldn't be signing free agents. This isn't a good class and the team is going nowhere this season.
I would try and sign some younger free agents to 1-2 year deals and see if we can find a diamond in the rough.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I would think the Rangers bring back Grabner he was their best player the last two seasons. For a goalie at least back up I would consider someone cheap on the market like a Chad Johnson, Kari Lehtonen,Or Robin Lehner

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Nash is looking for a multiyear deal. How many years would the Rangers want him for? It's rumored that Columbus is interested in him now. They weren't at the deadline back in February.
Brooks says he's not coming back.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Call it a rebuild--call it a retool but getting lots of younger players/prospects made a lot of sense for us but that doesn't mean you start playing them right away. You start playing them when you think they can handle it--and you can't just throw a bunch a 1-2-3 year pros together and say this is our team. You need some some nurturing and you need leadership and you need to make sure that those younger players aren't soaking in a losing atmosphere.

Exactly my point. Leadership is the biggest need and one that the front office has mentioned is a priority. That's why I would not rule out guys like Orpik, Lucic or Pacioretty at the right price.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Well right now nobody, we have 14 forwards at the moment who could very well play in the NHL. And if you are going to pick up vets, I'd rather it be someone like a Spezza where the team could potentially get an asset back for him if possible.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I was on-board with bringing Nash back until Gorton started talking about a change in leadership being needed. Granted it seemed mostly pointed at McD but I think Nash was part of that problem as well - experienced vets who were supposed to lead but instead were mute and passive. We need vets who can teach and motivate kids, not just bodies to fill a role. Nash would be fine on the ice but that's not really what we need right now.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3