UFA targets

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The cap floor is going to be about $59 million and the rangers are $9 million under the floor. They have to sign a UFA or (more likely) overpay some RFAs. There's no harm in overpaying an RFA/UFA for a couple of seasons. Only long term UFA I'm interested in is Tavares but that's just to peeve off my family. :)

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Regarding Nash, I'd put money on his retirement. It's been reported by multiple sources that the number of concussions he's taken has him concerned.

I'd target Leo Komerov. Plays the type of game we sorely lack. Can play C/W. PK'er.

Also, who knows if it made any difference, but he wore a letter on a team that saw a number of young players make nice strides.

Reactions: eco's bones

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
He’s already 29, and he’s at best a 65 point player and much more likely a 55 point player who might command a large contract.

Please , don’t do this.

People do weird things for emotional reasons - Rangers were his childhood team - not saying it WILL happen, but maybe ending his career on his favorite team as a kid is more important than money - might take a discount - who knows?

Reactions: Lion Hound

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I understand the sentiment behind this post, but it's just not practical. They need to ice a team and not the kind of team we saw post trade deadline with the O'Garas of the world.

What about signing a few reclamation projects and mentor type players on the cheap?

We don’t need to stack up on UFAs unless the go for a homerun like Tavares. [ not saying they should ]

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
People do weird things for emotional reasons - Rangers were his childhood team - not saying it WILL happen, but maybe ending his career on his favorite team as a kid is more important than money - might take a discount - who knows?

I’m not dropping over 100k during a long term rebuild on his childhood dream.

And I hope the Rangers do not make a decision based on his “dream”.

As a child , I was hoping I’d be able to visit Neptune as an adult. Tough shit.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I’m not dropping over 100k during a long term rebuild on his childhood dream.

And I hope the Rangers do not make a decision based on his “dream”.

As a child , I was hoping I’d be able to visit Neptune as an adult. Tough ****.

Your post that I replied to seemed to infer that you have an issue with $ - not the player - if you have an issue with the player, that's fine, but that's not what I was responding to.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
The cap floor is going to be about $59 million and the rangers are $9 million under the floor. They have to sign a UFA or (more likely) overpay some RFAs. There's no harm in overpaying an RFA/UFA for a couple of seasons. Only long term UFA I'm interested in is Tavares but that's just to peeve off my family. :)

This was the reason I was interested in Kovalchuk. Get us past the floor while leaving roster spots open for players to develop. Kovie can entertain the fans while players develop beneath him. If we have to sign two or three UFA’s to reach the floor and take up roster spots would not help the cause. Whoever thought as Ranger fans we would have to even think about cap floor

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
This was the reason I was interested in Kovalchuk. Get us past the floor while leaving roster spots open for players to develop. Kovie can entertain the fans while players develop beneath him. If we have to sign two or three UFA’s to reach the floor and take up roster spots would not help the cause. Whoever thought as Ranger fans we would have to even think about cap floor

I wasn’t for the potential Kovy signing, but I’d take his contract any day over a long term JVR given we are rebuilding and Kovy does have some connection to our prospects.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would think the Rangers bring back Grabner he was their best player the last two seasons. For a goalie at least back up I would consider someone cheap on the market like a Chad Johnson, Kari Lehtonen,Or Robin Lehner

Some of that would depend on Grabner and what other teams might offer him. I could be on board for a two year deal for $2.5 mil per but that's about it. He probably looks at $3.5 or whatever if he did for the Devils what he did for the Rangers. Not sure he's going to get that much now. I think a lot of teams that would look at him now are thinking where and how do we fit him in. The Rangers were pretty much a perfect fit for Grabner the way that AV used him. With a new coaching staff that might be different. He is a 3rd liner--he doesn't necessarily work all that well with others so he's detrimental in a top 6 role. With the Rangers the last couple years he played a predatory role---was put into situations where he could exploit other players. His ability to set up linemates isn't very good. His linemates need to set him up or he needs to isolate defenders, cause turnovers and exploit his speed against them. He's a quick strike player and he's usually good defensively but he has his shortcomings.

As for goalie I like Georgiev. He was at times spectacular last year. The only UFA I'd really consider would be Carter Hutton.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
I wasn’t for the potential Kovy signing, but I’d take his contract any dad over a long term JVR given we are rebuilding and Kovy does have some connection to our prospects.

That is why I would have been fine with Kovalchuk. Most UFA’s will be looking for 4-5 years which obviously wouldn’t interest us. Kovie gets us to the floor without wasting too many roster spots then ends right around the time we would look to bring in players to add to whatever strengths we got from the rebuild.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tavares has already made it clear he's not signing with the Rangers. He would be worthy IMO of a max term deal. Carlson is gone now too. Those were the two big names. I like Stastny but he's 32. I wouldn't mind Van Riemsdyk but he's 29. They are guys who probably won't sign for anything less than 4 years and maybe they'll want even more than that.

The guys I really like are 3rd liner types--Matt Calvert, Antoine Roussel, Leo Komarov, JT Brown. What you're looking at here aren't guys that will put up tons of points but they're direct line to the puck players who will skate and grind, hit, agitate and fight--will do pretty much anything they're asked. I kind of look at them as glue guys. Chris Wagner maybe. Take a flyer on Austin Czarnik. Not necessarily a lot of investment or a long term investment. I still like Grabner--just not sure he'll work the same with a new coach and I definitely wouldn't get into a bidding war over him. Manning and Kempny are the two D I like the most but there's also De Haan, John Moore and Ian Cole.

Mr Saji

Apr 25, 2018
Dylan Demelo not given a qualifying offer. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot as a #6-7 RD option. Better than Kampfer or O'Gara imo.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is not a particularly good crop of UFA and it's not a year we should want them.
The cap space should remain open. Come deadline day, when teams are looking to find ways to be creative and supplement their roster they will need a willing taker who has cap space. That's when you have them over a barrel and name your price.

I would only be interested in the type of UFA that a team will want at the deadline. Roussel is a perfect example. You sign him to a 2 year deal with a limited NTC. The limit being he cannot be traded to a team out of the playoffs at the deadline. At the first deadline you let him decide if he wants to stay the rest of the season or not. If you get him an offer to a contender you move him. Second season, no inquiry, but same deal playoffs only.

There may be a few others I would offer the same type of consideration to but nobody gets term. We can afford to overpay a bit in dollars but the days of coming here to get your retirement deal should be over.

Reactions: Off Sides

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We could use a 4th line center, and maybe a 4th line RW depending on where Fast is slotted to play.

Letestu or Beagle would be good for the 4C slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad