UFA targets

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With what they have? Sure they'll give it a go, but it won't be enough.

This could be a playoff team if they dipped into the UFA pool and spent a few bucks while making a trade or two. I'm glad they aren't.

You're probably right that they don't make the playoffs but I prefer that to just seeing them roll over. You want them to try---you want guys like Andersson and Chytil to do a slow burn when they lose--and if they make a run at a playoff spot and don't succeed you still want Filip and Lias in the middle of it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
UFA Players who interest me...

Jay Beagle -- leadership, great usefulness
Patrick Maroon -- hard worker
JVR (only with a Shattenkirk like contract, which I believe is possible)
David Perron -- maybe
Riley Nash (likely to be gone before a Hayes trade develops)
Derek Ryan
Ian Cole -- solid defenseman and locker room leader
Michael Grabner
Toby Reider -- He is a real useful 3rd/4th line player as long as he is paid accordingly
Michel Kempny -- showed me a lot in the playoffs
And one of -- Antoine Roussel, Ryan Reaves or Leo Komarov (need sandpaper) Reaves also a real good locker room guy

I really, really like Matt Calvert. But your list is a pretty good one.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and bobbop

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Article on NHL.com said the Rangers were looking to resign Grabner, Nash and Holden.

I couldn't believe it and then my brother text me link on NHL app.

Report: The Rangers have interest in re-signing Rick Nash

Rangers looking into free agents, including former forwards Nash, Grabner

There are other articles on internet. Some with quotes from admin.

I don't view that as a rebuild when three core players are removed and are being planned to be brought back. That screams rebuild? To me, that says they want the same team as last year with Chytil.

Again, I'll believe it when he signs. Forget for a minute even about why we would want him...why would he want to come back?

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
John Moore, Calvin De Haan, Tyler Bozak. If we sign these three guys to reasonable contracts, we could be somewhat decent next year.
Shattenkirk, Skjei, Moore, De Haan, Staal, Pionk- not great but not awful either.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
How do you want to sign Dmen when we have:

1. Pionk
2. ADA
3. Skjei
4. Smith
5. Staal
6. Lindgren
7. Hajek
8. Gilmore
9. Bigras
10. O'Gara
11. Shattenkirk
12.Kampfer
13. Day

We need to offload Dmen, not sign more.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
All I heard about Flipulla all year was that he was absolutely atrocious for Philly. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

Wouldn't look to add to much by way of UFA, but I do like Calvert.

Who said Filppula was bad? Flyers fans? Their as hostile as our fanbase.

He's someone who is very valuable and can play any position and role. At this point in his career he's like a more versatile Fedotenko.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

1. Pionk
2. ADA
3. Skjei
4. Smith
5. Staal
6. Lindgren
7. Hajek
8. Gilmore
9. Bigras
10. O'Gara
11. Shattenkirk
12.Kampfer
13. Day

We'll start with the first year pros--Lindgren, Hajek and Day. It's conceivable that Lindgren or Hajek (not both) could win a roster spot but I wouldn't bet on it. Day has almost no chance. He'll need time in Hartford.

Bigras, O'Gara, Gilmour and dare I say DeAngelo are borderline NHL players at this point in time. Smith was a trainwreck last year. Kampfer is more a spot player--a 6-7 NHL D. Even Pionk IMO is not a lock. He will have to show up in training camp and earn a spot. The only real locks are Shattenkirk, Skjei and Staal and Staal is a declining player and Shattenkirk is not the greatest defensively and Skjei struggled more last year than he did in his rookie year. Which is to say there is not (yet) a really solid two way NHL defenseman in the entire bunch.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

1. Pionk
2. ADA
3. Skjei
4. Smith
5. Staal
6. Lindgren
7. Hajek
8. Gilmore
9. Bigras
10. O'Gara
11. Shattenkirk
12.Kampfer
13. Day

You don't want to rush players to the NHL and throw them to the fire before they're ready.

Skjei, Staal, Shattenkirk and probably Pionk get spots. Everyone else hasn't proven they're ready. With a new coach I look forward to see what ADA and Smith can do but they both didn't play too well and are unknowns. You listed a lot of players but past the 4 players, none scream NHL player to me. If O'gara or Kampfer are playing most of the year, I'll be disappointed. Potential? Yes. But a lot of unknowns

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

1. Pionk
2. ADA
3. Skjei
4. Smith
5. Staal
6. Lindgren
7. Hajek
8. Gilmore
9. Bigras
10. O'Gara
11. Shattenkirk
12.Kampfer
13. Day

Because you can only count on two of those guys being NHL caliber next year (Brady and Shatty), two question marks (Staal and Smith), and then everyone else is a greenhorn.

As for moving, if you can package 2 to 4 of them into 1 or 2 better D-men, then we should be doing that.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We'll start with the first year pros--Lindgren, Hajek and Day. It's conceivable that Lindgren or Hajek (not both) could win a roster spot but I wouldn't bet on it. Day has almost no chance. He'll need time in Hartford.

Bigras, O'Gara, Gilmour and dare I say DeAngelo are borderline NHL players at this point in time. Smith was a trainwreck last year. Kampfer is more a spot player--a 6-7 NHL D. Even Pionk IMO is not a lock. He will have to show up in training camp and earn a spot. The only real locks are Shattenkirk, Skjei and Staal and Staal is a declining player and Shattenkirk is not the greatest defensively and Skjei struggled more last year than he did in his rookie year. Which is to say there is not (yet) a really solid two way NHL defenseman in the entire bunch.

we are rebuilding, go with what we have, develop players, trade vets at the deadline or earlier and get a high draft pick. Makes absolutely no sense to sign another UFA Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad