UFA targets

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ok so the Rangers plan to rebuild by not only refusing to full tank, but also targeting other high priced UFAs who aren’t centers to long term contracts?

What a breath of fresh air to try something so new and different between 7th and 8th?

The Rangers are not going to try to tank. When have they ever done that? They're going to have a better team on the ice in October than they did to end last season in April. They are going to sign some free agents and very little chance one of them is Tavares who will get a max salary wherever he goes so it's not like we can outbid other teams. I don't expect either that very many of this summer's UFA's are going to get a lot of term. It's going to be 90 to 95% 1, 2 and 3 year terms.

Look at the Gorton videos on the Rangers site--he talks in a number of them how they will go after free agents--talks about not playing prospects who are not ready to play in the NHL. We're not going to 7, 8, 9 rookies on the ice on October 4 unless we have a god awful number of injuries. The Rangers might not make the playoffs again next year--maybe even probably not--but they're going to try to. I expect a much more competitive team next year.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Rangers are not going to try to tank. When have they ever done that? They're going to have a better team on the ice in October than they did to end last season in April. They are going to sign some free agents and very little chance one of them is Tavares who will get a max salary wherever he goes so it's not like we can outbid other teams. I don't expect either that very many of this summer's UFA's are going to get a lot of term. It's going to be 90 to 95% 1, 2 and 3 year terms.

Look at the Gorton videos on the Rangers site--he talks in a number of them how they will go after free agents--talks about not playing prospects who are not ready to play in the NHL. We're not going to 7, 8, 9 rookies on the ice on October 4 unless we have a god awful number of injuries. The Rangers might not make the playoffs again next year--maybe even probably not--but they're going to try to. I expect a much more competitive team next year.

I'm trying to say just the same old bull shit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

With what they have? Sure they'll give it a go, but it won't be enough.

This could be a playoff team if they dipped into the UFA pool and spent a few bucks while making a trade or two. I'm glad they aren't.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Lehner would be a solid addition.

My other comments aside, why?

He's brutal. Like I have seen this guy play embarassingly bad for Ottawa at times. Didn't see much of him in Buffalo.

We already have a promising young backup goaltender. I'm not usually about handing a job to a young player but he earned it last season.

Reactions: Siddi

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd rather see what Georgiev has over 20-22 games than sign a veteran. He deserves a look before Huska and Shesty come over.

I have no problem on the other hand signing 4th liners rather than playing our kids only 11 minutes a game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just hope they aren't stuck in the middle.

A lot would have to go right for them to finish were they were last year.

Personally, I think they'll look better but end up finishing worse. Yes the coaching change should help, but we haven't even come close to adequately replacing what we sent out at the deadline and who knows what other changes are on the horizon this summer.

Reactions: broadwayblue

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
My other comments aside, why?

He's brutal. Like I have seen this guy play embarassingly bad for Ottawa at times. Didn't see much of him in Buffalo.

We already have a promising young backup goaltender. I'm not usually about handing a job to a young player but he earned it last season.
He had a down year this season, but was very good the two seasons before, albeit he only played 21 games in 15-16. He probably won't be expensive, and if Allaire can get him back on track, might be able to get a decent return at the deadline. I doubt he comes here though.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
A lot would have to go right for them to finish were they were last year.

Personally, I think they'll look better but end up finishing worse. Yes the coaching change should help, but we haven't even come close to adequately replacing what we sent out at the deadline and who knows what other changes are on the horizon this summer.
No they haven't, but a healthy Shattenkirk, Kreider, and Zibanejad alone would make a big difference. Of course having Zib be healthy for 75-80 games would be out of the norm, but maybe this is the year. Add in Chytil and Andersson being decent at least and who knows. If that doesn't happen, then we will probably be terrible.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
1 year deal if the $$$ is right. Type of player you can move to a contender at the deadline for a pick or a prospect.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
UFA Players who interest me...

Jay Beagle -- leadership, great usefulness
Patrick Maroon -- hard worker
JVR (only with a Shattenkirk like contract, which I believe is possible)
David Perron -- maybe
Riley Nash (likely to be gone before a Hayes trade develops)
Derek Ryan
Ian Cole -- solid defenseman and locker room leader
Michael Grabner
Toby Reider -- He is a real useful 3rd/4th line player as long as he is paid accordingly
Michel Kempny -- showed me a lot in the playoffs
And one of -- Antoine Roussel, Ryan Reaves or Leo Komarov (need sandpaper) Reaves also a real good locker room guy

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
How is resigning Grabner equal to not doing a rebuild? He's not that expensive and isn't getting a long term deal. And he could potentially be moved at the deadline for assets again. Doing a rebuild doesn't mean you can only play guys from within your own system.

And who is talking about bringing back Nash?

Article on NHL.com said the Rangers were looking to resign Grabner, Nash and Holden.

I couldn't believe it and then my brother text me link on NHL app.

Report: The Rangers have interest in re-signing Rick Nash

Rangers looking into free agents, including former forwards Nash, Grabner

There are other articles on internet. Some with quotes from admin.

I don't view that as a rebuild when three core players are removed and are being planned to be brought back. That screams rebuild? To me, that says they want the same team as last year with Chytil.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Antoine Roussell, Uncle Leo Komarov and Blake Comeau

All are pricks to play against and are respectable in all three zones.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
What is the status of Shestyorkin? In his early 20s, already had two elite seasons in KHL, played there for 3-4 years, we have his rights but haven't signed him? What is the hold up and when can we expect him to be backing up Lundqvist?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
What is the status of Shestyorkin? In his early 20s, already had two elite seasons in KHL, played there for 3-4 years, we have his rights but haven't signed him? What is the hold up and when can we expect him to be backing up Lundqvist?

He can’t be signed until April, I believe, because he’s under contract with SKA.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He's signed for another year. He can sign with us in 2019.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He's signed for another year. He can sign with us in 2019.

At that point in time, can he resign with SKA or another NHL team? Or if he signs a contract it has to be to the Rangers because they have rights to him?

I would hate to see a guy posting a .935sv%+ in KHL slip through our fingers. He can be a great replacement for Lundqvist.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At that point in time, can he resign with SKA or another NHL team? Or if he signs a contract it has to be to the Rangers because they have rights to him?

I would hate to see a guy posting a .935sv%+ in KHL slip through our fingers. He can be a great replacement for Lundqvist.

We own his rights. Other teams cannot sign him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Article on NHL.com said the Rangers were looking to resign Grabner, Nash and Holden.

I couldn't believe it and then my brother text me link on NHL app.

Report: The Rangers have interest in re-signing Rick Nash

Rangers looking into free agents, including former forwards Nash, Grabner

There are other articles on internet. Some with quotes from admin.

I don't view that as a rebuild when three core players are removed and are being planned to be brought back. That screams rebuild? To me, that says they want the same team as last year with Chytil.

Wonder if Nash ever sold his place in Manhattan? Would be weird seeing him back though. Club blows it all up cause they were getting it done. "We're going in a different direction" I believe is what Gorton said. If they sign Nash I guess they've gone off course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad