Great Britain: U20 WJC (D1B) discussion

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why on Earth did Spokane allow Stewart to play for GB? That makes no sense, they have playoff spot at stake there.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Why on Earth did Spokane allow Stewart to play for GB? That makes no sense, they have playoff spot at stake there.

So... they allow a kid to go play for Canada and miss games after Christmas across the entire CHL but force a kid to play with his WHL team because he's GB U20???? Not how that works. They pride themselves on sending kids to represent their country.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So... they allow a kid to go play for Canada and miss games after Christmas across the entire CHL but force a kid to play with his WHL team because he's GB U20???? Not how that works. They pride themselves on sending kids to represent their country.

Who are "they"? Spokane? Because Calgary kept Padakin to themselves as did Kootenay with Bozon.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Who are "they"? Spokane? Because Calgary kept Padakin to themselves as did Kootenay with Bozon.

Why are you saying those teams kept those guys to themselves? Are you 100% positive Calgary kept Padakin against his will or Kootenay kept Bozon rather then maybe those players maybe not wanting to go?

Look at the entire Canada roster, you don't think their CHL teams will miss them while they're gone?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why are you saying those teams kept those guys to themselves? Are you 100% positive Calgary kept Padakin against his will or Kootenay kept Bozon rather then maybe those players maybe not wanting to go?

Look at the entire Canada roster, you don't think their CHL teams will miss them while they're gone?

Sure they can't keep players against their will but they can "advise". It's tough for me to imagine Bozon not wanting to go play for his country alongside his brother in the team coached by his father. Furthermore, if France fail to win the Division that would most likely cost his father a job.

There's quite a difference between playing in WJC for Canada and playing in D1B for Ukraine, isn't there? Clubs who don't release players for WJC would be seen as public enemies in Canada meanwhile nobody gives a damn about D1B.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Sure they can't keep players against their will but they can "advise". It's tough for me to imagine Bozon not wanting to go play for his country alongside his brother in the team coached by his father. Furthermore, if France fail to win the Division that would most likely cost his father a job.

There's quite a difference between playing in WJC for Canada and playing in D1B for Ukraine, isn't there? Clubs who don't release players for WJC would be seen as public enemies in Canada meanwhile nobody gives a damn about D1B.

Exactly but if a player, like Stewart, gives a **** about representing his country which he clearly displayed for a number of years, he's going to go and Spokane will support him. Bozon could have easily talked to his family, his agents, his team, and decided it'd be better for him to simply play in Kootenay, a team he's new to, and get acclimated there and try to further his career in Canada. He already played with the Senior team so U20's is probably less of a big deal to him now.

Padakin was also named to the prelim roster for Ukraine but clearly he decided he didn't want to go. He has played in the U20s before but didn't go last year. He could simply be staying in Canada because he's not an NHL draft pick and wants to try to further his career in Canada, something Div 1B won't do for him.

You're making it out to be the teams decision but ultimately it's the players. Neither of these guys are getting cut from their junior team if they go lol those teams have invested too much time, money, or in Bozons case assets in them to pull that **** when like I said, they release players to the top division all the time.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
You're making it out to be the teams decision but ultimately it's the players. Neither of these guys are getting cut from their junior team if they go lol

I think you're downplaying the impact of the team to player's decision. Or maybe not.

Anyway, even if it is player's decision this is a somewhat weird situation. On one hand, you have Stewart coming over to play for no good reason (it's not like GB is going to win something), leaving his team where he's one of the leaders in the midst of a battle for the playoffs and at the same time you have Bozon, who has an ELC with Canadiens anyway, staying while his brother and father will be fighting for promotion.

I mean I can see their reasoning but it's still a bit weird.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I think you're downplaying the impact of the team to player's decision. Or maybe not.

Anyway, even if it is player's decision this is a somewhat weird situation. On one hand, you have Stewart coming over to play for no good reason (it's not like GB is going to win something), leaving his team where he's one of the leaders in the midst of a battle for the playoffs and at the same time you have Bozon, who has an ELC with Canadiens anyway, staying while his brother and father will be fighting for promotion.

I mean I can see their reasoning but it's still a bit weird.

Again there's no reasoning needed other than Stewart wanted to represent his country which he's been very vocal about for a couple years now.

and again he's only missing 4 games. Teams who send players to the top division miss anywhere from 6 to 8 if you don't include the games they miss for camps. Hell some kids miss a number of games just to go to camp and get cut.

Plus Spokane is comfortably in a playoff spot lol missing Stewart for 4 games isn't going to spiral their season by any stretch of the imagination, even if he is a big part of their team and one of their leaders in the room.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Again there's no reasoning needed other than Stewart wanted to represent his country which he's been very vocal about for a couple years now.

If that's the conclusion it means there's no reason for Bozon not to come other than he doesn't want to represent his country. And that, especially considering the circumstances, is very odd.

And yeah, I forgot Spokane plays in that joke of the conference

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If that's the conclusion it means there's no reason for Bozon not to come other than he doesn't want to represent his country. And that, especially considering the circumstances, is very odd.

And yeah, I forgot Spokane plays in that joke of the conference

There are other reasons I've mentioned multiple times like already playing for the senior team, just getting traded to a new WHL team, and being an NHL draft pick means staying in NA can help him establish himself more than going to U20s Div 1B could. When you consider the circumstances and think back to other prospects in his situation, he's not the only one to pass on U20 lower divisions. I remember Raman Hrabarenka declined invites for 3 years before finally going in his final year. He wanted to establish himself in NA. Janos Hari also passed on a chance to play for Hungary when he was in the Q. It's pretty normal really, kids have to decide if they'd rather keep trying to chase the NA hockey dream or represent their country at the U20s Div 1B tournament.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There are other reasons I've mentioned multiple times like already playing for the senior team, just getting traded to a new WHL team, and being an NHL draft pick means staying in NA can help him establish himself more than going to U20s Div 1B could. When you consider the circumstances and think back to other prospects in his situation, he's not the only one to pass on U20 lower divisions. I remember Raman Hrabarenka declined invites for 3 years before finally going in his final year. He wanted to establish himself in NA. Janos Hari also passed on a chance to play for Hungary when he was in the Q. It's pretty normal really, kids have to decide if they'd rather keep trying to chase the NA hockey dream or represent their country at the U20s Div 1B tournament.

But unlike the players you've mentioned he's not only already drafted he has a contract with Canadiens too, he doesn't need to establish anything anymore. And as you've mentioned before he would only miss 3 or 4 games.. Also, unlike Hari or Hrabarenka, Bozon would get a chance to meet with his family. You wouldn't want to see your family If you played in another continent?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
But unlike the players you've mentioned he's not only already drafted he has a contract with Canadiens too, he doesn't need to establish anything anymore. And as you've mentioned before he would only miss 3 or 4 games.. Also, unlike Hari or Hrabarenka, Bozon would get a chance to meet with his family. You wouldn't want to see your family If you played in another continent?

k kootenay held him against his will. I'm convinced.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Enjoyed seeing this tweet:
Nicky Watt ‏@NickyWatt49 58m
@IceHockeyUK you guys are charging for the live stream yet no other country does, no wonder out sport is a mess you lot are clueless.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ice Hockey UK TV ‏@icehockeyuktv 14m
Thanks for all those who watching the first game. You will shortly be able to download and watch again from the icehockeyuk.tv website

How much will this cost?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Do they actually expect anyone to buy these.

Other than friends & family of players I don't see why anyone would. Even then it's kind of ruthless to charge them that much to see a video of their kid or close friend representing their country.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00