Great Britain: U20 WJC (D1B) discussion

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
5 penalties against GB
0 penalties against Ukraine

Part of what made GB/FRA such a great game was the officials stayed out of it. They made calls that were extremely obvious and let them play the game.

Not today.

Should be interesting to see how GB comes back from this. This is usually when they lose composure and take more penalties and create 0 offense.

Cownie/Hook/Chamberlain have got a great cycle going now they just have to create some chances off it. It'd help if they could use the D.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
At least we know what to expect from Japan. Tons of speed with absolutely no physicality.

This is one of those games where you know you won't win a foot race and have to play a simple game. Tiny Japanese goalies & defense should result in GB planting someone in front of the net and getting shots from anywhere.

I'd go:
Venus-Stewart with Duggan the net presence (pretty much the PP they run)
Hook-Cownie with Chamberlain the net presence
Betteridge-Taylor with Selby the net presence
Mackie-Morris-Antonov as the 3 guys who barely touch the ice.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Italy promoted & win gold

GB was 30 seconds away from beating them in regulation & took them to overtime and they're about to play to avoid relegation. Ef word.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
At least we know what to expect from Japan. Tons of speed with absolutely no physicality.

This is one of those games where you know you won't win a foot race and have to play a simple game. Tiny Japanese goalies & defense should result in GB planting someone in front of the net and getting shots from anywhere.

I'd go:
Venus-Stewart with Duggan the net presence (pretty much the PP they run)
Hook-Cownie with Chamberlain the net presence
Betteridge-Taylor with Selby the net presence
Mackie-Morris-Antonov as the 3 guys who barely touch the ice.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/361/IHM361915_54B_1_0.pdf

They almost put in the exact lines I said.

Mr. Russell if you want me to be an assistant coach feel free to send me a PM :sarcasm:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hook/Cownie/Chamberlain just do what they do so well.

Chamberlain gets in front and forces a penalty. Perfectly done

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
GB defense are playing much smarter with the puck. It might be a little boring for some but I love the patience with the puck. Stand back there all day if you want, don't chuck the puck up the middle looking for a pass that isn't going to happen. Also cuts down the amount of icing. I know it happened a couple times but still less than the previous 4 lol

Last 4 games they would chuck the puck away and I can't count how many times they didn't support each other. Now they get in trouble and know the other D-man will be back to help so they can throw the puck over to them safely.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They're by far the best line, and the best part is they'll still be together next year

I'd like to see Chamberlain play in the EPL next year, he doesn't get much ice time at Hull

Ye they played like this at the U18s as well so I was looking forward to seeing them again. That's why a relegation would be such a waste, you have a line like that coming back and they'd be wasted in 2A.

None of these guys top to bottom should be playing EIHL tbh. It's a complete waste because like you said, not much ice time up there for them.
Maybe the talent & development whatever the hell should be trying to get on top of that :sarcasm:

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
Ye they played like this at the U18s as well so I was looking forward to seeing them again. That's why a relegation would be such a waste, you have a line like that coming back and they'd be wasted in 2A.

None of these guys top to bottom should be playing EIHL tbh. It's a complete waste because like you said, not much ice time up there for them.
Maybe the talent & development whatever the hell should be trying to get on top of that :sarcasm:

Always have to throw ideas about or nothing changes, I have e mailed the EIHL lots of times, at least they respond. You never know, out of a hundred ideas someone might find inspiration out of an idea that would work.

Avoiding relegation, having a young squad, realistically what can be done to get the chaps playing at a good level with good minutes for development? At this age they don't need to be getting run over by a 6ft 4 odd player in his late 20s, happened several times to a few 16 year olds by Haringey and teams at that level. They need to be developing.

Could look at a mini league competition, players getting called up from clubs and having a Wales and Ireland, Southern England, Midlands, Northern England, Souther Scotland and Northern Scotland competition. Or do it another way but get them playing good competition against there own age groups.

Just throwing ideas out.

robbza

Oct 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Always have to throw ideas about or nothing changes, I
Could look at a mini league competition, players getting called up from clubs and having a Wales and Ireland, Southern England, Midlands, Northern England, Souther Scotland and Northern Scotland competition. Or do it another way but get them playing good competition against there own age groups.

Just throwing ideas out.

I really like this, also possibly county teams? Yorkshire v Lancashire would be fun...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I really like this, also possibly county teams? Yorkshire v Lancashire would be fun...

Never going to happen.

They just need to have a proper U20 league combining North and South together in which the best players would actually play (they will still play senior hockey but U20's come first) you know, like every other developed hockey country.

I said to Scott Suds I would also change the rest of the junior leagues and make them three divisions in each conference so all the better teams get to play each other more often. No more 32-0 drubbings.

UKwild

Nov 12, 2013
Wembley
Never going to happen.

They just need to have a proper U20 league combining North and South together in which the best players would actually play (they will still play senior hockey but U20's come first) you know, like every other developed hockey country.

I said to Scott Suds I would also change the rest of the junior leagues and make them three divisions in each conference so all the better teams get to play each other more often. No more 32-0 drubbings.

It makes perfect sense, they need to sort out the structure at that level, a good under 20 competition is what's needed.
Still think they need a selling point, purely on the basis that travelling for it does cost money and it will need investment. And like you said it needs real competition, no 32 nillers, get some under 20's local rivalries going.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It makes perfect sense, they need to sort out the structure at that level, a good under 20 competition is what's needed.
Still think they need a selling point, purely on the basis that travelling for it does cost money and it will need investment. And like you said it needs real competition, no 32 nillers, get some under 20's local rivalries going.

I said I would base the teams for the U20 "elite league" in Bracknell, Swindon, Guildford, Chelmsford, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry, Hull, Telford (possibly Whitley bay but maybe too far to travel)

If there are enough clubs that have the numbers and want to have a U20 team then there could be a "div1" league splitting up North and South.

Players would sign for an EIHL/EPL/NIHL team of their choice and then also play for a U20 team, if the team they sign for doesn't have a U20 team in that rink, they should play for the closest one e.g. the Chelmsford U20 team would serve players from Romford, Haringey, Lee Valley and obviously Chelmsford. And if a player signed for Basingstoke they could play for either the Bracknell or Guildford U20 team.

The only problem is money, the good players aren't going to want to pay the junior fees to play. Maybe if they're contracted with the pro team then they could pay less or not at all. The EIHA are apparently sitting on a **** load of cash, maybe the rest could be made up with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad