Great Britain: U20 WJC (D1B) discussion

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Pete Russell has announced the roster he will be taking to Lithuania for the warm-up tournament.

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/gb-u20s-squad-for-lithuania-p185167

Great Britain Under-20s have named their squad for next month's European tournament in Lithuania.

The tournament is dedicated to the memory of Alexei Cherepanov, a Russian hockey player who died after collapsing during a KHL game in Russia in October 2008.

GB will go head to head with Lithuania Under-20s, Poland Under-20s, Belarus Under-18s and Russian sides Omsk Hawks and Kapitan Stupino in the six-team tournament from 23rd to 28th August 2013.

Roster
#30 Adam Goss (Coventry Blaze)
#31 Jordan Hedley (Milton Keynes)
# 2 Harvey Stead (Bracknell)
# 3 Ben Russell (Milton Keynes)
# 4 Danny Rose (Telford Tigers)
# 5 Josh Grieveson (Northwood School, Lake Placid)
# 6 Matt Selby (Coventry Blaze)
# 7 Declan Balmer (Peterborough)
# 8 Sam Godfrey (Swindon Wildcats)
# 9 Jonanathan Kirk (Sheffield Steeldogs)
#10 Josh Cook (Loydminster Bobcats)
#11 Lewis Hook (Peterborough)
#12 Cameron Wynn (Basingstoke Bison)
#14 Jordan Cownie (Peterborough)
#15 Ollie Betteridge (Swindon Wildcats)
#16 Liam Morris (Toronto Attack)
#17 Adam Taylor (Telford Tigers)
#18 Sam Towner (Hull Stingrays)
#19 Ivan Antonov (Bracknell)
#20 JJ Pitchley (London Raiders)
#21 Lee Bonner (Hull Stingrays)
#22 Liam Charnock (Ontario Hockey Academy)

This appears to be a development roster, as there are some noteable players such as Zach Sullivan and Ross Venus who I would consider to be locks for the final roster not included, and they have opted to take some younger guys such as Bonner and Antonov.

Grieveson and Cook are two players I've never heard of. Cook is a dual national and looks pretty good, plays Junior A in Canada.

Edit: FINAL ROSTER

Goaltenders:
Adam Goss - Coventry Blaze
Jordan Hedley – Milton Keynes

Defence
David Clements – Ogden Mustangs
Zach Sullivan – Basingstoke Bison
Danny Rose – Telford Tigers
Adam Jones – Lower Austria Stars
Craig Moore – Ogden Mustangs
Ben Russell – Milton Keynes
Sam Godfrey – Swindon Wildcats
Dec Balmer – Peterborough Phantoms

Forwards
Ross Venus – Coventry Blaze
Liam Stewart – Spokane Chiefs
Bobby Chamberlain – Hull Stingrays
Josh Cook – Winkler Flyers
Shawn Mackie – Lakefield Chiefs
Lewis Hook – Peterborough Phantoms
Jordan Cownie – Milton Keynes
Matt Selby – Coventry Blaze
Ivan Antonov - Bracknell Bees
Ollie Betteridge – Swindon Wildcats
Liam Morris – Toronto Attack
Sam Duggan - Bracknell Drones

Last edited:

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Russell has said before this will be more for developmental purposes, as you stated there are several obvious choices missing and it'll be the guys who are locks to make the Worlds squad, including Liam Stewart who I'm very sure is going to be at the tourney in December.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I wish Conway would play for GB soon so I don't have to think he's jumped ship like his cousin lol

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Russell has said before this will be more for developmental purposes, as you stated there are several obvious choices missing and it'll be the guys who are locks to make the Worlds squad, including Liam Stewart who I'm very sure is going to be at the tourney in December.

Great news if Stewart is playing, GB will need all the help they can get to avoid relegation. The D looks good this year but the forwards not so much

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Record sucked but there was good that came out of it.

Lee Bonner went from a name on the page that looked out of place to a legitimate future GB player. Ivan Antonov showed me the stats aren't misleading. Hook & Cownie together look really solid (too bad Cownie didn't stay with Peterborough). Ye they got 100000 penalties but hopefully they can learn from it - international refs will buy into dives even if you tap kids... so don't tap anyone with any part of your body/equipment lol.

The two fastest kids on the entire team were Antonov & Bonner and they were also the youngest & smallest lol Bonner in Hull is fitting, hopefully he leeches on to Matt Davies if he's going to be a tiny forward with speed & skill

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
for a second I thought it was a new thread and you posted the old roster ;)

Still in a little bit of shock that Sam Duggan made it but if there's anyone in GB hockey I trust it's Peter Russell lol

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
All aboard the hypetrain, express to 'TheNextTonyHand?' Town.

The day he plays with Victoria & puts up 4G 4A 8PTS in 3 games I'll hop aboard :sarcasm:

I've been tracking Duggan ever since Propane(99problems, assorted other names on here) told me about him with the help of your updates on EP :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Ok, the full roster is finally out

http://www.icehockeyuk.co.uk/gb-u20s-name-world-championship-squad-p187911

Russell said: "When I took on the role of head coach, I said we would aim to select younger, balanced squads.

"This is so important to the GB program and the future of the game here in the UK.

"To achieve this we would select the best players from their performance off and on the ice during the whole GB selection process.

"We have achieved this and have picked a high-energy, fit, balanced team, who will empty the tank for their country every game.

"I would like to thank all the players who went though our process and they all bought in.

"But there are only 22 spots and we have filled them. We have a good group and we know we have a huge challenge ahead.

"But we will be ready to battle and compete for each other and for our great country.

"It's a honour to be selected for your country and we have 22 very proud players who can't wait to get going.

"This is the first step in our three-year plan and we have a great mix of experience.

"After this championships we will have 22 players who have furthered their development and experience to another level."

Goaltenders:
Adam Goss - Coventry Blaze
Jordan Hedley – Milton Keynes

Defence
David Clements – Ogden Mustangs
Zach Sullivan – Basingstoke Bison
Danny Rose – Telford Tigers
Adam Jones – Lower Austria Stars
Craig Moore – Ogden Mustangs
Ben Russell – Milton Keynes
Sam Godfrey – Swindon Wildcats
Dec Balmer – Peterborough

Forwards
Ross Venus – Coventry Blaze
Liam Stewart – Spokane Chiefs
Bobby Chamberlain – Hull Stingrays
Josh Cook – Winkler Flyers
Shawn Mackie – Lakefield Chiefs
Lewis Hook – Peterborough
Jordan Cownie – Milton Keynes
Matt Selby – Coventry Blaze
Ivan Antonov - Bracknell
Ollie Betteridge – Swindon Wildcats
Liam Morris – Toronto Attack
Sam Duggan - Bracknell

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I like the forward group but it's so young!

I think it'll look something like this:
Venus-Cook-Stewart
Cownie-Chamberlain-Hook
Selby-Mackie-Betteridge
Antonov-Morris-Duggan

Venus/Cook/Stewart are all 94s and none of them have played together but they're the top 3 players on the roster. Cownie & Chamberlain have been good together previous tournaments and during the warmup tournament it was Cownie & Hook. They'll be prep'd for next years U20s together as the top line. Duggan & Antonov are likely a future 1st line so they'll be stuck on 4th line duty as they're so young. I prefer it being 2 young futures > 2 kids who will ride the bench and never rep GB again.

I still prefer Selby when he plays D but him with MacKie (Jr. C player in Canada) & Betteridge are kind of the left overs.

Just my guess :)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I like the forward group but it's so young!

I think it'll look something like this:
Venus-Cook-Stewart
Cownie-Chamberlain-Hook
Selby-Mackie-Betteridge
Antonov-Morris-Duggan

Venus/Cook/Stewart are all 94s and none of them have played together but they're the top 3 players on the roster. Cownie & Chamberlain have been good together previous tournaments and during the warmup tournament it was Cownie & Hook. They'll be prep'd for next years U20s together as the top line. Duggan & Antonov are likely a future 1st line so they'll be stuck on 4th line duty as they're so young. I prefer it being 2 young futures > 2 kids who will ride the bench and never rep GB again.

I still prefer Selby when he plays D but him with MacKie (Jr. C player in Canada) & Betteridge are kind of the left overs.

Just my guess :)

One name really sticks out as missing from the forwards, and that's Floyd Taylor

but I think he might be injured

Also for your lines, Duggan is a Center

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
One name really sticks out as missing from the forwards, and that's Floyd Taylor

but I think he might be injured

Also for your lines, Duggan is a Center

Those were just 3 people lines in no particular order but I'm sure there's more than 4 centers on the team so the 5xunderage will likely have to bite the bullet this year anyway ;)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They played last night without the NA based players against Solway Sharks and lost 2-1

Poopy. At least they have the excuse that they were missing some of their best players in guys like Stewart, Cook, Clements. No clue what MacKie is yet since he's playing Jr. C. Missing 6 guys in total, 7 if Adam Jones (Austria) also wasn't there.

btw, should update that OP but don't delete the original stuff, just push it down to the bottom.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Poopy. At least they have the excuse that they were missing some of their best players in guys like Stewart, Cook, Clements. No clue what MacKie is yet since he's playing Jr. C. Missing 6 guys in total, 7 if Adam Jones (Austria) also wasn't there.

btw, should update that OP but don't delete the original stuff, just push it down to the bottom.

This is the team that played apparently

Jordan Hedley, Declan Balmer, Jonathon Kirk, Lee Bonner, Ben Russell, Zac Sullivan, Ivan Antonov, Ollie Betteridge, Bobby Chamberlain, Jordan Cownie, Sam Godfrey, Cameron Wynn, Dan Rose, Sam Towner, Sam Duggan, Adam Jones, Lewis Hook.

FWIW Solway are a decent team

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
This is the team that played apparently

Jordan Hedley, Declan Balmer, Jonathon Kirk, Lee Bonner, Ben Russell, Zac Sullivan, Ivan Antonov, Ollie Betteridge, Bobby Chamberlain, Jordan Cownie, Sam Godfrey, Cameron Wynn, Dan Rose, Sam Towner, Sam Duggan, Adam Jones, Lewis Hook.

FWIW Solway are a decent team

So 3 forward lines, 1 of the guys not on the final roster (lee bonner) & 7 d, 1 of the guys not on the final roster (jonathon kirk) and only lost 2-1 to a senior team that is 7-1-0 on the season? Acceptable :laugh:

I don't remember many U20 GB teams in recent years getting together as often as this group has this year. Good sign, or is it just me?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
So 3 forward lines, 1 of the guys not on the final roster (lee bonner) & 7 d, 1 of the guys not on the final roster (jonathon kirk) and only lost 2-1 to a senior team that is 7-1-0 on the season? Acceptable :laugh:

I don't remember many U20 GB teams in recent years getting together as often as this group has this year. Good sign, or is it just me?

They usually just play 1 warmup game less than a week before the tournament

And there is still time to have another one

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
They usually just play 1 warmup game less than a week before the tournament

And there is still time to have another one

What I meant was, I've seen on twitter that they've met up and practiced together multiple times throughout the season. Has that been the norm the last number of years? I've never noticed it before this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad