U18 Discussion Thread

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I'm really, really interested to see where Caufield goes. If he falls far I am going to laugh my ass off. He should be a top 10 pick, in my opinion. Good case for Boldy to be made as well.
If he falls far, I’d be hoping Stan is doing everything he can to get back into the first round and grab him.

Reactions: Blue Liner

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
if pod drops in the rankings, then he drops, my only interest is in taking the consensus # 3, whoever that ends up being.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If he falls THAT far...my God. Wake up!!

would be a shame to see caufield fall

giphy.gif

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
One move I want Stan to try to make is trading Saad+ to the Oilers for the 8th overall pick and an expiring cap dump. That way we could snag Caufield or whichever top prospect is left and have a younger, high-end forward join the Hawks in 2020 as Mitchell/Boqvist/Beaudin force their way onto the team. We'd be set for years after that at both forward and defense with great, cheap talent.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
One move I want Stan to try to make is trading Saad+ to the Oilers for the 8th overall pick and an expiring cap dump. That way we could snag Caufield or whichever top prospect is left and have a younger, high-end forward join the Hawks in 2020 as Mitchell/Boqvist/Beaudin force their way onto the team. We'd be set for years after that at both forward and defense with great, cheap talent.
Saad + Perlini + Forsling + 4th for 1st + Gagner.

Draft Byram and Boldy. Sign some guy in free agency to replace Saad at a cheaper cap hit.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I love that deal, which means it’s probably not good enough.

Does Edmonton even have cap issues?

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
I love that deal, which means it’s probably not good enough.

Does Edmonton even have cap issues?
Edmonton does indeed have cap issues, but they also desperately need top 6 wingers and are under a ton of pressure by their fanbase to not waste any more years of McDavid and Draisaitl, which is why I think a trade like the one Musto suggested is at least somewhat realistic.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I don’t find it realistic at all

They could draft someone at 8 that could be better than Saad in 2-3 years on a better contract.

If they did that, it would be a huge desperation type of move.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
I don’t find it realistic at all

They could draft someone at 8 that could be better than Saad in 2-3 years on a better contract.

If they did that, it would be a huge desperation type of move.
Well, the Oilers are desperate to make the playoffs. I thought it was pretty clear from my previous post - I wrote "[The Oilers] are under a ton of pressure by their fanbase to not waste any more years of McDavid and Draisaitl." That's why I floated this trade idea in the first place. The Oilers are looking for immediate help, which they wouldn't get if they used the 8th overall to select a forward.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Well, the Oilers are desperate to make the playoffs. I thought it was pretty clear from my previous post - I wrote "[The Oilers] are under a ton of pressure by their fanbase to not waste any more years of McDavid and Draisaitl." That's why I floated this trade idea in the first place. The Oilers are looking for immediate help, which they wouldn't get if they used the 8th overall to select a forward.

If they’re that desperate they could likely get a much better player for 8OA. (At least I would think)

Brandon Saad wouldn’t net you a top ten pick. (And I like Saad)

I’m not trying to bust your balls or anything, trust me I’d love to be wrong! And it doesn’t help they got rid of the idiot. (Chiarelli)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You’d need to give Gus+ Saad + something I think to get 8.

I’d think about it but you’d basically be punting on 2020 and Stan doesn’t have that kind of job security.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Idk why I even looked at mock drafts that people have out there. Pretty much cozens/podz at 3 in all of them. I feel like I've decided I dont want either of those guys at 3 as I found myself disappointed when I read their names.

Its really come down to Byram, Turcotte, and Zegras (much to my surprise) for me. I feel all three can safely become top line/top pairing guys and play on both the PP and PK.

Edit: whoops wrong thread lol.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Turcotte having a nice first period, both offensively and defensively. Fans in stands are sparse.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I just don't know what to make of the kid, I have yet to come away impressed from watching him, but a bad tournament doesn't mean the kids sucks or will fail- he just clearly isn't top 3 material for me.

I imagine he will slip and some team will get luck in 2-3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad