U18 Discussion Thread

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Teams can't really help the player though and there is a solid chance his buyout not small.
Thats fair enough, and its up to management to determine how big an issue that is im just bringing up the point that saying theres zero chance is another ad falsehood

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
honest question - have you read his comments about playing in North America? any GM should have some fear here with how he spoke, doesn't mean he will not come once the KHL contract ends, but doesn't seem like a kid that really views the NHL as the top destination. as for the zero chance, IMO, it is as close to zero as you can get with the things he has said and the fact that players rarely buy out of a KHL contract especially 18 year olds. when was the last 18-19 year old to do it? I honestly have no clue.

there is fear here in a number of areas. the fact that I also believe he is not #3 on a lot of teams list based simply on his play means much of this discussion is moot. when a team picks 3rd overall I think they would want to avoid all of these fears/concerns/warning signs...if he was elite as Malkin or Ovi then a case can be made that you just have to be patient and hope the kid comes because he is the BPA. I just don't see that here and I am pretty positive the Hawks don't see it here either..
Again, management has to do its due diligence here to determine pods interest in coming over if there are red flags, then he has to be someone elses problem, you cant risk the 3rd overall if you feel he might not come over, but that will be done one on one between management and him, none of us here have or will have any inside knowledge of that, unless it gets leaked out at some point

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
After watching these u18’s I’m sold on Newhook, I was slightly skeptical before because of the lesser competition but he’s been awesome and his skating is great. I think he could goes top 10 easy

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I really like Krebs and Cozens together. If they were on the same WHL team, both probably would’ve scored more. Krebs for sure would’ve.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Boldy is capable of playing in the NHL next season.
Disagree heavily with that. Physically maybe but he isn't good enough away from the puck yet and would be a liability. He also does not accelerate very well and with very very little time and space, I think that would become an issue. The big guys now a days can all accelerate fairly well and Boldy can skate but is slow out the gate and most of those guys take a few years to get it.

Reactions: BK

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Disagree heavily with that. Physically maybe but he isn't good enough away from the puck yet and would be a liability. He also does not accelerate very well and with very very little time and space, I think that would become an issue. The big guys now a days can all accelerate fairly well and Boldy can skate but is slow out the gate and most of those guys take a few years to get it.

Did someone get a scouting job and not tell us?

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think he means physically/maturity wise he could stick..and I agree, I said a while ago he is just one of those kids that will make it to the show quicker than most..I think a lot of these kids can step in at the NHL level, but they would have a lot of tough nights..Boldy still needs to work on things and go to college like you said, but physically he could step in and play with the big boys..but there is far more to it than that to be a NHLer.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think he means physically/maturity wise he could stick..and I agree, I said a while ago he is just one of those kids that will make it to the show quicker than most..I think a lot of these kids can step in at the NHL level, but they would have a lot of tough nights..Boldy still needs to work on things and go to college like you said, but physically he could step in and play with the big boys..but there is far more to it than that to be a NHLer.
Then we would agree. I just took it as he was saying he was nhl ready now

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
USA playing Finland now. First quick thought on Finland is that they seem more skilled and quicker than most of the previous USA opponents.

edit: Beniers makes it 1-0 USA.

Last edited:

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
USA up 3-0 with ~8 min to go in 2nd. Hughes with a tip-in in the 1st and an unassisted breakaway in the 2nd

edit: Penalty shot awarded to USA (Lindmark hooked). Caulfield took the shot and was stopped.

Hughes with a Kane-like top shelf backhand, USA 4-0

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
that was one of the most dominating performances I have seen at this stage by young Hughes. simply unstoppable. Turcotte and Boldy were workmen like, but Zegras, Brink, Caufield and Hughes ran the show today. absolutely lethal display of puck skill and in zone pressure. 6-0 US rolls Finland, looks like Russia will be up next for the Pods fans...

Reactions: plasmonresonance

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Oh really?
I'll just say it reminded me of some Kane top shelf backhands I've seen. Not that Hughes needed to cement #1 but this game he showed a bit of everything from a deflection/tip-in, a breakaway 5-hole, a high backhand and the setting up of teammates.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'll just say it reminded me of some Kane top shelf backhands I've seen. Not that Hughes needed to cement #1 but this game he showed a bit of everything from a deflection/tip-in, a breakaway 5-hole, a high backhand and the setting up of teammates.

I am not questioning you to be clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->