U18 Discussion Thread

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Well, there is the pesky little detail of hiring the right people.....
True, but Sather was more good than bad in his time here and I think incredibly high of Gorton. Not trying to say Dolan is some amazing person or owner, but that his ownership of the Rangers is far, far more positive than the Knicks....*shutters*

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
True, but Sather was more good than bad in his time here and I think incredibly high of Gorton. Not trying to say Dolan is some amazing person or owner, but that his ownership of the Rangers is far, far more positive than the Knicks....*shutters*

Sather was nothing special as gm.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Sather was nothing special as gm.
I disagree, he wasn't perfect, but he did a lot more good than bad. We were a consistent playoff team for most of his tenure, including one finals appearance. Compare that to the Knicks, and, well, I rest my case. :P

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I disagree, he wasn't perfect, but he did a lot more good than bad. We were a consistent playoff team for most of his tenure, including one finals appearance. Compare that to the Knicks, and, well, I rest my case. :P

A comparison to the Knicks is setting the bar as low as possible. Sather spent the first part of his tenure way overpaying for Kasparaitis and Holik types. Drury also. He hired Trottier which was weird for a bunch of reasons. The second half of his tenure was better. I'm not saying it was all negative, but he was gm for what, fifteen years, and had one finals appearance (where you guys weren't competitive) to show for it. Meh.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I can see the Hawks moving back to #6 in a trade with Detroit. They are pretty stacked with young D prospects and the Wings could use a stud D prospect.Hawks would probably be fine with the 3 top centers available after that regardless of what transpires at #4 and #5. Time to get some more draft capital.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can see the Hawks moving back to #6 in a trade with Detroit. They are pretty stacked with young D prospects and the Wings could use a stud D prospect.Hawks would probably be fine with the 3 top centers available after that regardless of what transpires at #4 and #5. Time to get some more draft capital.
again, for me if the Hawks trade down FIRE BOWMAN....

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Yeah, I’m only trading down with Detroit if they’re offering us #6, and two of Zadina, Veleno, and their unprotected 1st next year for #3. Even then, I’d still prefer to just take Byram.

Also, I fully realize there’s very little chance that Detroit would offer that, meh year from Zadina or not.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't know much about Boqvist and Hughes, but to the untrained eye ... after watching the U18 World Championships, it's obvious Boqvist has a lot of talent. The kid skate, handle the puck, and shoot. That said, his body hasn't matured yet. The kid needs to get much thicker. Boqvist is still a couple years away from contributing significantly to the Hawks.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
no offense but you are wrong in your thinking of a great GM.

he just happen to be the head coach of the greatest team assembled, Edm had to offer him the GM position.

an analogy would be move SB to head coach b/c his father is Scotty.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
no offense but you are wrong in your thinking of a great GM.

he just happen to be the head coach of the greatest team assembled, Edm had to offer him the GM position.

an analogy would be move SB to head coach b/c his father is Scotty.
Sather did win a Cup in 1990. At the time, he had Messier, Tikkanen, Kurri, Klima, Ranford, Simpson, Anderson, Smith, Lowe, etc. ... a very good roster, but nothing from a given.

I believe Cablevision (The Dolans) took over more of the day to day operations after the Rangers '94 Cup. Shortly after, the Rangers missed 8 consecutive post seasons from '97 to '04. If I'm not mistaken, Sather had some high profile free agent failures at the time. Similar to the Knicks, high payroll ... dismal performance.

To Dolan's credit, he left Sather alone ... partly because Dolan has no clue about hockey. That helped the Rangers to a number of Bill Wirtz Hawk like successful seasons. Wirtz made the Finals too with Belfour. Of course, the Rangers have not won for 25 years now.

James Dolan is the poster child against nepotism.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad