Kane etc

Team hard to play against :

Toews-

Byram-Keith
Murph

We need more battlers than scoring machines

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well ...Pods underwhelmed ...Turcotte pointless last 3 games =disappointing.after a good start to the tournament 1st 3 games..

Caufield is what he is=goal scorer = D-Cat only a better skater but worse set-up guy ...maybe even better goal scorer. .

Cozens has been underwhelming for the alleged consensus #3 or #4 and he is not even playing C but RW on the Krebs line.

Askarov joins other Russian goalie i Kochetkov n target for our pick at #43...
Gotta start taking top goalie prospects..

So this leaves 3 to consider for #3:

Caufield (not a "need"but hard to ignore another 40+ goals guy)...

Krebs ..IF he shines today and again if Canada gets to Gold Medal Game ..

And of course Byram who is starring g in WHL playoffs...

There may be no consensus as to who we should take at #3 if our target is a forward...there is a consensus as to who the best Dan of this draft class is=Byram.

So ...who will Stan take?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Well ...Pods underwhelmed ...Turcotte pointless last 3 games =disappointing.after a good start to the tournament 1st 3 games..

Caufield is what he is=goal scorer = D-Cat only a better skater but worse set-up guy ...maybe even better goal scorer. .

Cozens has been underwhelming for the alleged consensus #3 or #4 and he is not even playing C but RW on the Krebs line.

Askarov joins other Russian goalie i Kochetkov n target for our pick at #43...
Gotta start taking top goalie prospects..

So this leaves 3 to consider for #3:

Caufield (not a "need"but hard to ignore another 40+ goals guy)...

Krebs ..IF he shines today and again if Canada gets to Gold Medal Game ..

And of course Byram who is starring g in WHL playoffs...

There may be no consensus as to who we should take at #3 if our target is a forward...there is a consensus as to who the best Dan of this draft class is=Byram.

So ...who will Stan take?
Sounds like Fiddy is jumping on the Byram bandwagon!

Reactions: Rooh

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Turcotte really needed to be better in this tournament if he wanted to wear the Indian Head. A decent start for sure, but not putting up points in three straight games, in a tournament he needed to dominate considering all the time he's missed with injuries and Mono, just isn't good enough.

Byram, meanwhile, has the highest PPG of any player in the WHL playoffs, and is also first in points, beating out the 2nd place guy (a forward who is three years older) by a point.

Love Turcotte, but his stock has certainly not increased any and Byram's keeps going up. And I'm a Turcotte fan.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Cozens' high sticking gives Sweden a powerplay goal. He's a detriment to this team.
Yeah, we get it. Cozens sucks and you hate him as much as you love Strome.

Nobody here, besides maybe one or two individuals, is advocating for us to pick him at 3rd overall. We really don't need you giving us frequent updates of his f***-ups. He will, almost assuredly, not ever be our problem.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Turcotte really needed to be better in this tournament if he wanted to wear the Indian Head. A decent start for sure, but not putting up points in three straight games, in a tournament he needed to dominate considering all the time he's missed with injuries and Mono, just isn't good enough.

Byram, meanwhile, has the highest PPG of any player in the WHL playoffs, and is also first in points, beating out the 2nd place guy (a forward who is three years older) by a point.

Love Turcotte, but his stock has certainly not increased any and Byram's keeps going up. And I'm a Turcotte fan.

LOL

I mean I’m all aboard the Byram train, but that statement is pretty far fetched.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Grewe scores to give Tre Kronor the lead with 2 and a half remaining

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
He has a decent point. Byram has been outstanding in the WHL playoffs, while Turcotte has had a so-so U18.

Completely agree, but to more or less say he should no longer be considered at 3? Because of one tournament?

He hasn’t sucked, just not dominant.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Completely agree, but to more or less say he should no longer be considered at 3? Because of one tournament?

He hasn’t sucked, just not dominant.
And with his injuries and illness, he needed to be dominant. The kid is a huge risk, and Hawks management isn't going to be thinking he's worth that risk if he's putting only okay numbers in this tournament.

If he had a full season this year, you'd have so much more to go off of in terms of his abilities (especially in terms of his abilities after his hip injury). But without it, he needed to shine in the U18s, but that just isn't happening.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
And with his injuries and illness, he needed to be dominant. The kid is a huge risk, and Hawks management isn't going to be thinking he's worth that risk if he's putting only okay numbers in this tournament.

If he had a full season this year, you'd have so much more to go off of in terms of his abilities (especially in terms of his abilities after his hip injury). But without it, he needed to shine in the U18s, but that just isn't happening.

Oh I agree with him being a risky pick. I’m still very torn between him and Byram though.

I lean Byram, but I think Turcotte could have a bigger impact sooner.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
This is the first I’ve seen of Canada.

I think Cozens has all the physical tools.

Great skating
Great wrist shot
Great size

I can see why scouts like him, if he puts it all together he could be special.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh I agree with him being a risky pick. I’m still very torn between him and Byram though.

I lean Byram, but I think Turcotte could have a bigger impact sooner.
Turcotte needs a season in College. He missed way too many games this season. He would not survive playing less than 60 games against what are essentially kids in one season and then transitioning to playing 82 games (plus potential playoff games) against the best of the best in the following season.

I don't know if Byram can stick next year in the NHL. It's really hard to do for an 18yo (especially one that will be 18 for the entire season). But he'll almost assuredly be an NHLer during the 20-21 season, so he and Turcotte would enter the league at around the same time.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Again, no one here, except for maybe one or two weirdos, likes Cozens.

We do not give a crap about how he's playing.
You seem to be in the wrong thread. This is the U18 discussion, not the 3rd overall pick discussion.

I'm free to discuss Scott Glennie 2.0 over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad