U18 Discussion Thread

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
You seem to be in the wrong thread. This is the U18 discussion, not the 3rd overall pick discussion.

I'm free to discuss Scott Glennie 2.0 over here.
The only reason any of us are talking in here is to debate the players we should get. Nobody here gives a crap about this tournament other than to see who might make the debate for 3rd overall interesting.

Or are you telling us that you made this thread simply so you could bash Cozens multiple times per game?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Cozens a major disappointment in this tournament cannot understand why he was ranked so high by so man

Was not impressed by Krebs either this game.

So easily now the #3 pick...unless we trade it...is to decide between Caufield who we know is the best goal score in the draft and the top d-man in Byram ...
Do not see how we can miss on either as far as talent ..but neither is our most pressing Need ...The hope to grab a difference-maker level C to drive 3rd kine now or soon then take over as 1C for Ties in4-5 years does not look possible given that none of the top C's after Hughes looked the that kind of difference-maker solution...not that "special" C..

So instead we probably get a new 3C via trade or Ufa signing and go with BPA dman in Byram or BPA goal scoring sensation in Caufield.

Knowing Stan he will definitely go surf. .

Neither will be in our lineup any way next season..so maybe we muddle back to another top ten pick (not lucky enough to move up again so likely another 8-13 pick..If we get leybinjuries maybe we get another top 3 pick pre-lotto ?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Knowing Stan he will definitely go surf. .
tumblr_pqmyxnvMWX1w8vvh3o1_540.png

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So USA vs.Canada on Bronze medal game tomorrow ....probably rebound game for USA ...will not face great goaltending like Askarov put up today..so probably USA puts an 8 spot on Canada ..want to see of Caufield can get 2 or 3 more goals to tie or set the all-time goal scoring record for the tournament.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Speak for yourself
I'm hardly the only one that his critiqued you constantly shit-talking Cozens.

You don't criticize any other player out there. Just Cozens.

And when someone mentioned it to you before, you gave this excuse about how so many people were overrating him and how you're just balancing it out. But nobody here is overrating him. Besides maybe one or two posters, nobody wants him at 3rd overall.

Yet you keep bringing up his faults time and time again. If you want to go and torture the bastards who view him as a top 5 pick, cool. Shoot those sites an email. Don't keep berating us with it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm hardly the only one that his critiqued you constantly ****-talking Cozens.

You don't criticize any other player out there. Just Cozens.

And when someone mentioned it to you before, you gave this excuse about how so many people were overrating him and how you're just balancing it out. But nobody here is overrating him. Besides maybe one or two posters, nobody wants him at 3rd overall.

Yet you keep bringing up his faults time and time again. If you want to go and torture the bastards who view him as a top 5 pick, cool. Shoot those sites an email. Don't keep berating us with it.
I wasn't responding to that. I'm talking about this:
Nobody here gives a crap about this tournament other than to see who might make the debate for 3rd overall interesting.
Well I give a crap. I couldn't care less about this tournament in relation to our pick. The guy we're drafting isn't even at the tournament. If that's the reason you're paying attention, you probably shouldn't be watching this tournament. I'm watching because I like watching prospects and I like keeping up and staying educated on them. That's what this thread is for. It's about discussing the prospects in this tournament. It is not meant for who goes 3rd overall. If you want to debate that, there's a thread already dedicated to it.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I wasn't responding to that. I'm talking about this:

Well I give a crap. I couldn't care less about this tournament in relation to our pick. The guy we're drafting isn't even at the tournament. If that's the reason you're paying attention, you probably shouldn't be watching this tournament. I'm watching because I like watching prospects and I like keeping up and staying educated on them. That's what this thread is for. It's about discussing the prospects in this tournament. It is not meant for who goes 3rd overall. If you want to debate that, there's a thread already dedicated to it.
Maybe saying 'the only reason' isn't the right choice of words. We obviously have a few who would watch the games no matter if we had 3rd overall or not (posters like AD and BlueLiner come instantly to mind). Didn't think I'd get critiqued for saying something is certainly the case from the guy who is absolutely sure that he already knows who we're going to draft at 3.

But the overwhelming discussion here is trying to see if any of these guys are able to compete with Byram for 3rd overall.

I have zero issue with you talking about the games, but you keep shit-talking Cozens here and it's getting annoying (almost troll levels of annoying). You hardly complain about any other player, but feel you need to counteract all the good things people, who don't post on this site, are saying about Cozens by complaining about everything he does on an internet forum. Gets old.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yes it is
Given context, it's not.

If we had two top 10 picks (with neither being 1 or 2), I'd easily want us to draft both Byram and Turcotte.

But we only have 3rd overall. Our next pick won't be til the 40s, and he'll likely be gone no later than 10.

He had an opportunity to raise his stock, which is lower due to his injury and illnesses, but his play in this tournament isn't gonna raise his stock nearly enough to be thought of as a better prospect than Byram.

Maybe Kelley sees something he likes in Turcotte, but if the Hawks are going BPA, it's hard to see them going with Turcotte over Byram right now.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Pro scouts don’t have absurd hot take like reactions like fans do.

They’ve been scouting most of these kids for 2 years (if not longer)

Saying that Turcotte likely lost his opportunity to go 3OA due to his U18 performance is a borderline fiddy reaction.

And fwiw he had 8 points in 6 games.

He didn’t have a bad tournament, just not a dominant one.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Given context, it's not.

If we had two top 10 picks (with neither being 1 or 2), I'd easily want us to draft both Byram and Turcotte.

But we only have 3rd overall. Our next pick won't be til the 40s, and he'll likely be gone no later than 10.

He had an opportunity to raise his stock, which is lower due to his injury and illnesses, but his play in this tournament isn't gonna raise his stock nearly enough to be thought of as a better prospect than Byram.

Maybe Kelley sees something he likes in Turcotte, but if the Hawks are going BPA, it's hard to see them going with Turcotte over Byram right now.

This is VERY subjective.

None of us have any idea what the Hawks scouts saw and thought of Turcotte.

I’m still Byram 1A Turcotte 1B, this tournament hardly changes anything.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019

Saying that Turcotte likely lost his opportunity to go 3OA due to his U18 performance is a borderline fiddy reaction.

What were saying is that to compete with Byram he needed to have a dominant tournament because of his injury concerns. Byram has separated himself a bit IMO and has been dominant in WHL all season. There aren’t much flaws with Byram and no doubts with him either. Turcotte needed to erase some doubts about him at this tournament and be dominant but he wasn’t. I’m not gonna day we’re for sure not picking Turcotte but I think the chances of us picking him are lower after this tournament with the way Byram has played in WHL

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What were saying is that to compete with Byram he needed to have a dominant tournament because of his injury concerns. Byram has separated himself a bit IMO and has been dominant in WHL all season. There aren’t much flaws with Byram and no doubts with him either. Turcotte needed to erase some doubts about him at this tournament and be dominant but he wasn’t. I’m not gonna day we’re for sure not picking Turcotte but I think the chances of us picking him are lower after this tournament with the way Byram has played in WHL

This.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Fair enough

Wish we could get both

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

This is VERY subjective.

None of us have any idea what the Hawks scouts saw and thought of Turcotte.

I’m still Byram 1A Turcotte 1B, this tournament hardly changes anything.

8pts in 6 games isn't impressive though. What Caufield has done is impressive. There are 5 players in the tourney that have more points in the same number of games as Turcotte. Zegras has the same amount of points in 2 less games.

Yes, the Hawks have scouted this kid forever. But he has missed a ton of games with injuries and illnesses. The illnesses you can live with. The injuries (hip), however, make picking him at 3rd, when no mocks have him there, a very risky pick.

If he lit this tourney up, he'd be viewed as the guy worth the risk. Like how Caufield is now worth the risk to be drafted in the top 10 despite his height.

I already said Kelley could have already seen enough in Turcotte's abilities and potential to make him 3rd overall. But at this point, he'd be one of only a few. Byram is looking like the BPA and that's usually who you go for with that early of a pick.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I still don't think Turcotte is 100% personally. But I'm sure he wanted to be out there to represent his country and to also show teams he's fine enough right now.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Turcotte has had a strong two way tournament. He definitely has focused more on away from the puck the last two games, he took every big draw, was on every big pk - he literally was the guy out there in all the big moments to shutdown the opposition. His offense has been strong but like Caufield and Hughes, but his overall game has been nothing but impressive for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad