U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

arsmaster*

Big deal? What did the Ontario player say to him?

Unless you're directly involved or close enough to hear/see exactly what happened, you're making assumptions. Leave calling Americans classless to Don Cherry :sarcasm:

What worries more than a goal celebration is the bonehead penalties/plays by Konecny. I see the skill but he just does so many dumb things. He tried to body check a player by throwing his head at the guys upper body in the first period, then he looked at the ref and complained. Then he had a penalty drawn against Hanifin but then decided to grab his stick & continue to tussle after the whistle. He had another bonehead penalty later in the game, Sutter would have benched him by now :sarcasm:

I'm not that worried about what Kirwan did, just don't like that stuff. I tell my own kid to act like they've scored before.

Seems you have a hate on for Konecny.

I thought Konecny had another good game, you may have been in the rink, but on screen he looked good, created lots. The fact he was able to force Hanifin to pull him down says enough about his ability to create as well as his cross bar on a quick backhand deke.

Still don't know why he got called for hitting a guy hard, was it charging or boarding (the commentator was right, the trip just prior had to be called, no excuse for I guess boarding (international hockey speak for hit hard).

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm not that worried about what Kirwan did, just don't like that stuff. I tell my own kid to act like they've scored before.

Seems you have a hate on for Konecny.

I thought Konecny had another good game, you may have been in the rink, but on screen he looked good, created lots. The fact he was able to force Hanifin to pull him down says enough about his ability to create as well as his cross bar on a quick backhand deke.

Still don't know why he got called for hitting a guy hard, was it charging or boarding (the commentator was right, the trip just prior had to be called, no excuse for I guess boarding (international hockey speak for hit hard).

He didn't force Hanifin to pull him down, he held his stick and fell to draw a penalty which is why he got 2 minutes for holding the stick :sarcasm:

I don't have a hate on for him, he's just frustrating to watch. He's probably the most talented forward on the ice in any given game but he spends most of his time trying to skate through everyone by himself & then doing something silly away from the play. When he makes the simple plays & uses his teammates, he creates huge scoring chances but he just doesn't do it enough.

Someone said it in here earlier that they think people are getting too hung up on the times his dekes are broken up but I think it's the opposite. People easily forget the countless bad plays if he makes 1 pretty play. Same can be said about a lot of fans of any team with a player who does the same type of stuff.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
bracko? he was noticible in the 3rd. prob heard his name the most by the commentator. greenway and kirwan also seemed a threat to score everytime they had the puck in the 3rd.

Jeremy "The Brac Attack" Bracco. Silky smooth, man. Silky smooth.

arsmaster*

So it's USA-Quebec and Pacific-Russia?

Now I really wish Barzal was healthy.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
I don't know how to post a video (the video is in my Iphone) but I tweet the Rush at the end of the OT of Sean Day, a nice Deke from Nicolas Roy, an outside speed from Gurianov. Video: http://distilleryvesper0-0.ak.instagram.com/3ea3b72a740111e3bbfc122878962eb0_101.mp4

Day is awesome! Best D of the tourney with Hanifin, Werensky and Roy!

For russia, I think Zhukenov is really really good! Same for Tyanulin, so skilled!

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Really like watching team USA play. Great players and a great unit. Hanifin didn't impress me so much in this game, but the tools are there for sure. Konecny bothered me again this game, he has a lot of talent but mostly uses it inappropriately. Needs to be direct. I liked Marner far more than any other Ontario forward, hope he develops some size.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, Nicolas Roy in the Q is a little bit shy offensively. Sprong and Noel seems better than him. But in the U17, we can really see what player Roy is. Controling the play very well. Certainly a top 15 pick for now (Because a LOT of other really good player are available, 2015 is awesome)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
So is this correct:
9th place: Fri Jan 3 - 2PM - Civic Center, Port Hawkesbury - West vs. Germany

7th place: Fri Jan 3 - 7PM - Civic Center, Port Hawkesbury - Czech vs. Atlantic

5th place: Fri Jan 3 - 2PM - Emera Center, North Sydney - Sweden vs. Ontario

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
He has not been shy offensively. He has been outproducing Noel in past two months for instance. Keep in mind he had no training camp so that explains his slow start.

I'm not only talking about stats here. Yes I agree Roy is playing better than at the beginning, but Noel is playing in the U17 like in the Q, that's not the case for Roy, he can do better offensively in the Q. I didn't watch Sags game in december so I will have to rewatch him again, but the point is that Noel/Sprong are at their peak of dominance in the Q, not Roy. (I'm french, don't know if you will understand my last sentence).

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
I'm not only talking about stats here. Yes I agree Roy is playing better than at the beginning, but Noel is playing in the U17 like in the Q, that's not the case for Roy, he can do better offensively in the Q. I didn't watch Sags game in december so I will have to rewatch him again, but the point is that Noel/Sprong are at their peak of dominance in the Q, not Roy. (I'm french, don't know if you will understand my last sentence).

Moi aussi.

I respectfully disagree. In the past two months, N. Roy has played every bit like the 1st overall pick in a strong Q draft. His two-way game is also very advanced for a 16 year old.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Moi aussi.

I respectfully disagree. In the past two months, N. Roy has played every bit like the 1st overall pick in a strong Q draft. His two-way game is also very advanced for a 16 year old.

I always said offensively because I know his 2-way game is better than Sprong/Noel. In my ranking of 2015, as for now I have Roy before Noel and Sprong yes. I never said he's worst than them. Like I said, I've watch Roy in his beginning of the season. So the U17 just remind me what he is able to do (that I didn't see of him in the Q, I assume cuz I didn't watch end novembre/december).

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
I always said offensively because I know his 2-way game is better than Sprong/Noel. In my ranking of 2015, as for now I have Roy before Noel and Sprong yes. I never said he's worst than them. Like I said, I've watch Roy in his beginning of the season. So the U17 just remind me what he is able to do (that I didn't see of him in the Q, I assume cuz I didn't watch end novembre/december).

Fair enough! We'll see how he plays sans Hudon in the second half.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
white is better IMO he is faster stronger wins all the importanat faceoffs and backchecks like crazy. He plays the full ice every single game. Has the best compete level I have seen in a long time. Hes getting better and better and has all the tools.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
white is better IMO he is faster stronger wins all the importanat faceoffs and backchecks like crazy. He plays the full ice every single game. Has the best compete level I have seen in a long time. Hes getting better and better and has all the tools.

you don't notice him as much I find until the puck is in the back of the net and you realize he was the guy that won the faceoff or created a scoring chance with a turnover. Besides, he is not a bad skater. I just wish he wouldn't wave bye- bye to the Ontario team.Our guys wouldn't do that.

arsmaster*

Hope you guys who were unimpressed with Konecny watched the game this morning.

HC site has given one of his assists to Strome, but both Crouse goals were assisted by Travis.

I think he may have been reading this thread, he was moving the puck really well today, creating a ton. And you got the usual hard work, drawing penalties and unloading big hits.

Marner sure can handle the puck and his body in tight spaces. Very skilled player.

Crouse sort of has some Brett Ritchie in him, with that body. Really good around the net.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hope you guys who were unimpressed with Konecny watched the game this morning.

HC site has given one of his assists to Strome, but both Crouse goals were assisted by Travis.

I think he may have been reading this thread, he was moving the puck really well today, creating a ton. And you got the usual hard work, drawing penalties and unloading big hits.

Marner sure can handle the puck and his body in tight spaces. Very skilled player.

Crouse sort of has some Brett Ritchie in him, with that body. Really good around the net.

criticism doesn't mean unimpressed lol I said a number of times that he seems like the most talented player on the ice he just wasn't using that talent properly.

I was planning on going to that game but couldn't get my car on the damn road. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to C200 for the 7PM game.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Does Team Québec have a shot at a medal? Is it fair to say that the 2015 draft will be a good one for us? It seems like the team's strength is its' D, which is somewhat unusual :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00