U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

Billybaroo*

Pacific totally carrying the play. Outshooting Russians 37-15.
Penalties are Pac has had 4 pp. Russians 3.
Oh, the horror

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Just like last time I watched Quebec, it was a group of individuals wearing the same jerseys (Quebec) vs. a Team (USA).

Quebec was pretty lucky to keep it as close as they did early on and that includes the goal off the stansion lol

That was an unreal display by the US, definitely worth the trip through the blizzard.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Just like last time I watched Quebec, it was a group of individuals wearing the same jerseys (Quebec) vs. a Team (USA).

Quebec was pretty lucky to keep it as close as they did early on and that includes the goal off the stansion lol

That was an unreal display by the US, definitely worth the trip through the blizzard.

Have you seen Team Pacific? I know they're a smaller team than Team USA, do you think they have a reasonable chance against the US?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
As impressed as I am by team USA, I am equally unimpressed with the Roys. Plus team Quebec as a whole. I can't imagine how they made it to the semi finals. They have been atrocious in the Sydney games.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Pacific laid the doodoo smooch on the Russians to the tune of 7-3. That's an impressive win. Hopefully they can give this juggernaut American team a game. Pacific has some really skilled forwards. I reckon they'll be able to keep it close for awhile at the very least. I could see it resembling the Team Ontario game.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Have you seen Team Pacific? I know they're a smaller team than Team USA, do you think they have a reasonable chance against the US?

I really don't know if anyone will stop USA in this tournament... The chemistry, skill, depth, size, smarts, etc. is just too much.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What's wrong with Sweden and Russia? They should be better or do they have B teams in there?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Pacific laid the doodoo smooch on the Russians to the tune of 7-3. That's an impressive win. Hopefully they can give this juggernaut American team a game. Pacific has some really skilled forwards. I reckon they'll be able to keep it close for awhile at the very least. I could see it resembling the Team Ontario game.

I agree. Pacific will make a game of it for the first 30 minutes or so (providing their goalie has his A game), then I expect the US to run away with it.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
As impressed as I am by team USA, I am equally unimpressed with the Roys. Plus team Quebec as a whole. I can't imagine how they made it to the semi finals. They have been atrocious in the Sydney games.

They had a terrible game against Czech Republic and were beaten by a USA team which had dominated Russia 60-18 shots-wise and Ontario 54-24. What did you expect? Team Québec played very well against Pacific, Sweden and West.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Amazing stats for the US

Averages

52.4 shots per game
8.6 goals for
1.2 goals against
25% pp
93.5% pk

The only team that beat them was Team West with 40% pp

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They had a terrible game against Czech Republic and were beaten by a USA team which had dominated Russia 60-18 shots-wise and Ontario 54-24. What did you expect? Team Québec played very well against Pacific, Sweden and West.

I expected them to not look terrible. The games that I saw (Czech, Russia) featured Quebec looking terrible. USA beat Ontario, but it wasn't nearly the beating that Quebec received.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
How good this team USA is really? Not better than its Canadian counterpart, I reckon. And if you add McDavid Canada will come out as a clear winner from this match-up.

So, it's not THAT good team. Why the buzz?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How good this team USA is really? Not better than its Canadian counterpart, I reckon. And if you add McDavid Canada will come out as a clear winner from this match-up.

It's not really easy to say that. These are 16 year olds, 3 more years until they hit 19 and some of them will play on the World Junior teams. Canada wont have McDavid past 18, and there will be other guys missing from both teams. It is much to early, with too many variables to determine.

Unless you mean if Canada had it's team of all-stars from the 5 teams in the Tournament? The Ivan Hilinka is a much better representation than this tournament.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
What's wrong with Sweden and Russia? They should be better or do they have B teams in there?

I don't think the Swedes were missing anyone significant besides Kylington. It's quite shocking to see how much they struggled this year.

I'm curious as to why the Russians didn't add any North American based players such as Korostelev from the OHL or Provorov/Smirnov/Artemov from the USHL. I'd imagine that Korostelev and Provorov would certainly have been good enough to make the team they brought. I can't say I know much about the players who were left at home though. Is Pavel Karnaukhov expected to play for Russia or Belarus in the future?

Anybody happen to know the record for most points at this tournament? I know Ilya Kovalchuk and Rocco Grimaldi each had 14 but I'd imagine there might have been higher totals back in the 80's or 90's.

Anyway, with the gold medal game being on TSN I hope there'll be some option for watching it down here in the US. Back when the '93 team made the finals they showed it on TV here so perhaps they'll do the same this year.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
They have a good shot at bronze against the team pacific

The Russians should not have been within earshot of the semis.
Ontario are the second best team here but little consolation when you finish fifth.

Last edited by a moderator:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Hard to say.

Team USA is an actual league team playing in the USHL. They're out of Ann Arbor Michigan.

If Canada had one team and it played together , no way would they be steamrolled by the US. That said, I wouldn't say they would steamroll the US either. I think both teams would be fairly equal.

This is the best American Under 17 team I've ever seen. Their individual skills are amazing. That's all to do with top notch training provided by USA hockey.

Of course if all countries implemented a similar system, I don't think the US would be as dominant.
It's all about identifying young elite players and having the financial means to train them.

Not all countries, unfortunately, have that kind of money to spend on minor hockey.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I expected them to not look terrible. The games that I saw (Czech, Russia) featured Quebec looking terrible. USA beat Ontario, but it wasn't nearly the beating that Quebec received.

Catching up on the last few posts.
Folks, team quebec did better than I thought they would in reality
But, Usa are much too everything to compete against
To be honest, I am not bashing quebec, but you have got to be kidding me , you mean to tell me that team of 16 year olds is the best you got.
I don 't expect to hear a word from anyone that suggests to me that that the Roy's are the best you got.
Maybe I saw a crap game against the Czechs, even though the team payed better tonight believe it or not, I think quebec hockey better have a look at the grassroots and find out what is going on.
Wow, I guess I was expecting too much

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Catching up on the last few posts.
Folks, team quebec did better than I thought they would in reality
But, Usa are much too everything to compete against
To be honest, I am not bashing quebec, but you have got to be kidding me , you mean to tell me that team of 16 year olds is the best you got.
I don 't expect to hear a word from anyone that suggests to me that that the Roy's are the best you got.
Maybe I saw a crap game against the Czechs, even though the team payed better tonight believe it or not, I think quebec hockey better have a look at the grassroots and find out what is going on.
Wow, I guess I was expecting too much

You did see a crap game against the Czechs.

Nicolas Roy earned raves for his play.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

Ehhhh I think its one of the best ntdp teams they've ever had. Its one of the first years they were able to get every player they wanted and kept them away from the CHL. Hanifin wouldve gone #1 overall in the Q draft if he was going to come and White wouldnt have been too far behind. Werenski and Kirwan wouldve been top 5 OHL picks if they had serious interest in going.

This team could have 7-10 first round picks on its roster between the '15 and '16 drafts imo.

The other thing is, I think Canada is weaker on depth of top end talent in the u17 year as well.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Ehhhh I think its one of the best ntdp teams they've ever had. Its one of the first years they were able to get every player they wanted and kept them away from the CHL. Hanifin wouldve gone #1 overall in the Q draft if he was going to come and White wouldnt have been too far behind. Werenski and Kirwan wouldve been top 5 OHL picks if they had serious interest in going.

This team could have 7-10 first round picks on its roster between the '15 and '16 drafts imo.

The other thing is, I think Canada is weaker on depth of top end talent in the u17 year as well.

Cam Askew is the only one !! I agree, that's one of the best USA team! For sure, if Canada were making just one team, they would be better than this (not so).

Konecny, Marner, Strome, Noel, Roy, Gauthier, Morrisson, Soy, Hawkins, Stephens ...

This is very tight... USA have about 4 first rounder, 5 second rounder at forward, thats awesome .. !

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Cam Askew is the only one !! I agree, that's one of the best USA team! For sure, if Canada were making just one team, they would be better than this (not so).

Konecny, Marner, Strome, Noel, Roy, Gauthier, Morrisson, Soy, Hawkins, Stephens ...

This is very tight... USA have about 4 first rounder, 5 second rounder at forward, thats awesome .. !

A few of you like N Roy.
I guess I am missing it.
Maybe his skill set will catch up with his size.
I just find his skating slow and is easily pushed off the puck.
Good hockey IQ though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad