U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Geeze, see what happens when you finally shoot? Too bad they spent the whole game choosing to pass and deke. That's not usually an issue American teams have but it has been frustrating.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Full marks to Russia - they were the better team this game and deserved the gold.

Disappointing effort from Team USA. Their worst performance when it mattered most. Too much individual effort tonight.

Should be a great game when these teams rematch next month at the Four Nations Cup.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The relentless checking by the Russians in all three zones and the over passing (usually one pass too many) by the US was the reason Russia won.

Amazing effort by Russia.

Now to the gold medal game between US and Canada women.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yeah I also have to say congrats to the Russians on that. That was a great game to watch, thoroughly enjoyed it.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Congratulations to the Russians. They played a great game and have some very nice players in this birth year.

I have to admit I'm surprised by how poorly the US team played considering how strong they were through out the tournament. The Russians were all over them though and gave very little time and space. It's unusual to see US teams out skated and out competed but it definitely happened here.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Is there any reason as to why Russia seems to be doing much better at the U17 level than the U18 level, only to be very good again at the U20 level? Just a coincidence?

Last five years:
U17 WHC: 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze.
U18 WJC: 1 bronze.
U18 Hlinka: 1 bronze.
U20 WJC: 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I guess coaching has something to do with that.. especially as for the U18/U20 comparison.

As for the U17, not all other countries bring their best team:
Canada talent pool is splitted in 3 or more
Finland let their best players play with higher level national teams (Pulju, Juolevi..)

that's probably a factor

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Is there any reason as to why Russia seems to be doing much better at the U17 level than the U18 level, only to be very good again at the U20 level? Just a coincidence?

Last five years:
U17 WHC: 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze.
U18 WJC: 1 bronze.
U18 Hlinka: 1 bronze.
U20 WJC: 1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze.

Its a classic case of Russian corruption! The U18 coach, Rumyantsev, has consistently shown a horrible record of results, but because of connections with politically powerful people, has been allowed to keep his job.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Its a classic case of Russian corruption! The U18 coach, Rumyantsev, has consistently shown a horrible record of results, but because of connections with politically powerful people, has been allowed to keep his job.

Interesting...

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
i remember him calling up ishaev's grandson and ivanuzhenkov's son and ignoring buchnevich. that was impressive

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Interesting. I have noticed that Russia usually has good coaching in U17 and U20, good team play. U18 is harder to come by with streams so it has escaped me.

Canuck71*

Russia deserved it and played a very impressive team game. After watching the Canadian teams all week we could learn a lot from the way these young russians played. Never seen so much poise and patience with the puck from a bunch of 17 year olds.

On the forward side for the Russians I was overly impressed by the play of Vitali Abramov and German Rubtsov. These two always came to play and both have tremendous skill sets. I think they both have very bright futures ahead. Sokolov was supposed to be the standout player but these two stood out much much more.

On defense Alexander Yakovenko impressed the hell out of me too. On the smaller side listed at 5'10 160 lbs, this kid had incredible patience with the puck, ALWAYS made the right pass, great stick work and positioning, and never let the bigger opponents intimidate him at all. I think he could be a very sought after prospect if he grows a bit.

The whole Russian defense impressed me by how they played. Not many big bodies at all on their D core but these kids had great postioning and puck skills. Have nothing but great things to say about the Russian team and their puck/skating skills.

Chad Krys from USA is gunna be a great one too. One of the best skaters I've seen at this age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad