U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Still not impressed with Konecny. Strome was just ok. Marner played well obviously and cracked me up with his jawing. Day looks like he's a year or two older than everyone else instead of younger, meaning more talented/stronger but also disinterested. Samsonov looks like a very competent goaltender going forward.

I wish I knew a bit more about Days personality.
He seems feisty enough.
He certainly plays the game with confidence . I can't put my finger on it but he sure has the skills.its like the team doesn't know how to use his skill set to gain more advantage.
He is worth the price of admission and is every bit as good as any 97player on the ice.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think those who aren't impressed by Konecny are the ones who pay too much attention to failed dekes and not enough to his vision, positioning, and puck-possession ability.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
We won't know how good the US team is until they play Ontario. The games against Germany and Atlantic are irrelevant and I don't think this Russian team is as good as the teams they've sent the last few years. One thing they're really going to have to be better about is discipline as they've taken so many stupid penalties during the tournament thus far. Ontario will make them pay if they continue to do so.

Hanifin's a great talent but he hasn't been flawless thus far in the tournament IMO. He's been caught out of position and been beaten to the outside here and there which shouldn't really happen given his mobility and hockey sense. I'm probably just nitpicking given that I want to hold him to the highest of standards but I hope the best is yet to come for him in the tournament.

Auston Matthews has been a bit of a revelation for me. He's from a somewhat obscure program out in Arizona, hasn't participated in US summer festivals and was injured most of the year but he seems to be one of the better pro prospects on the team. He's great along the boards, an excellent shooter/finisher and has been a major physical presence with a number of huge open ice hits. His skating seems a bit average but there's a lot to like in his game.

Colin White has been really good. He's a great skater, can really finish and works hard in all three zones. He, Bracco and Kirwan may be the best line I've seen the US ice at this tournament over the last number of years.

A player I've been really impressed with who hasn't been mentioned is Casey Fitzgerald. He's got excellent mobility and can really handle the puck. Obviously his size is not ideal for the pro game but he'll likely be an important player for US junior teams in the future and should be an awesome college player.

All this said, the real game to evaluate the US and it's players will be against Ontario. Looking forward to it.

Not sure what games your watching but Hanifin was dominant against Russia and the last two games against Germany and Atlantic he didn't play that much, not at all in either 3rd period .. It looks like USA is resting him and Werenski. He actually looked bored the last two games. Hopefully the games will be more competitive from here on out.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Some clown shot high during the warm ups and hit Ilya Samsonov in the neck/head area... I wanted to see him start today.

Balmas looks like he gave up and I can't really blame him, Atlantic just isn't even close for this type of tournament.

arsmaster*

I think those who aren't impressed by Konecny are the ones who pay too much attention to failed dekes and not enough to his vision, positioning, and puck-possession ability.
Agreed. Marner could have had 6 goals if he cashed on some of the setups in front that Konecny created.

I didn't think he had a good game, but I definitely thought he created chances and was unlucky not to hit the scoresheet.

Not sure what games your watching but Hanifin was dominant against Russia and the last two games against Germany and Atlantic he didn't play that much, not at all in either 3rd period .. It looks like USA is resting him and Werenski. He actually looked bored the last two games. Hopefully the games will be more competitive from here on out.
Totally looked board, because I saw a good player who didn't look like he was trying.

Here's hoping Ontario comes out flying tonight so the game is like last years (only caught 3rd and OT last year).

------

Really wish they weren't airing both of the games I want to watch at the same time tonight, these morning games don't have the star power or the lure of Pacific, Sweden, Ontario, and USA.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
so USA must beat Ontario tomorrow and Russia has to beat Atlantic to advance?

One would think that USA would beat Ontario, but then again they might be less desperate than Ontario as the Americans are already assured of being in the semifinals.

arsmaster*

One would think that USA would beat Ontario, but then again they might be less desperate than Ontario as the Americans are already assured of being in the semifinals.

Anyone know how the tie breaker works?

It seems that Ontario would make it through even with an OT loss. They would be tied on points with Russia, and would likely have a better goal differential. Unless of course it's head to head.

Things are really interesting in pool A.

Seems to me, an OT game between Sweden and Pacific puts both those teams through....wonder what the tie breaker is.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Some clown shot high during the warm ups and hit Ilya Samsonov in the neck/head area... I wanted to see him start today.

Balmas looks like he gave up and I can't really blame him, Atlantic just isn't even close for this type of tournament.

dat hometown vidya tho ...

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Hehe....when Sean Day is in full stride it is a thing of absolute beauty! He's going by these D with relative ease. What a specimen.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hehe....when Sean Day is in full stride it is a thing of absolute beauty! He's going by these D with relative ease. What a specimen.

That is the way we breed them in the USA! Another product of the super skilled skating defensemen who have come out of this country. Day will be a real good one.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
That is the way we breed them in the USA! Another product of the super skilled skating defensemen who have come out of this country. Day will be a real good one.

There haven't been any the excite and delight the masses like the stride of Day though. A stride so beautiful and powerful that it shall be cherished and worshiped by the hockey community for years to come.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

come on now, you know it's good old Canadian genes he has:sarcasm:

I hope he gives us some of the secrets re skating he picked up down there.:laugh:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
The US are such a well oiled machine, holy ****. Very, very efficient.

White, in particular, has been very noticeable.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

The game against Russia was without question his strongest game but there were some instances where he was beaten in the defensive zone. I'd agree that he didn't look too engaged in the last two games so not much to judge him on there. Like I said, I'm probably just nitpicking.

The US has been very sloppy thus far against Ontario. There were so many odd man rushes and mistakes in the defensive zone that Ontario could be up by 3 or 4 goals if they could finish the chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->