U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
A few of you like N Roy.
I guess I am missing it.
Maybe his skill set will catch up with his size.
I just find his skating slow and is easily pushed off the puck.
Good hockey IQ though.

not sure what you do not see in him....yes he is weak but with size like his that can be worked on or you have to assume that....he has silky smooth hands, great play making and passing, smart player, inconsistent though, he does create good opportunities in the games, he might not be the hardest worker along the boards but his skill level is shown, I personally have been impressed with him in the tournament.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Cam Askew is the only one !! I agree, that's one of the best USA team! For sure, if Canada were making just one team, they would be better than this (not so).

Konecny, Marner, Strome, Noel, Roy, Gauthier, Morrisson, Soy, Hawkins, Stephens ...

This is very tight... USA have about 4 first rounder, 5 second rounder at forward, thats awesome .. !

Askew had already signed a tender and played in the USHL before the ntdp camp so he was essentially ineligible for the team. USA hockey doesn't take kids who have already signed and played in the USHL because the play in the same league and such. Doesn't happen often, usually once or twice every few years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Askew had already signed a tender and played in the USHL before the ntdp camp so he was essentially ineligible for the team. USA hockey doesn't take kids who have already signed and played in the USHL because the play in the same league and such. Doesn't happen often, usually once or twice every few years.

When did Askew play in the USHL? Plus Riley Barber played for Dubuque USHL the entire year prior to joining the USNDP...so not really following you there about Askew unless I am misunderstanding you.

Big fan of Askew as it is amazing to think if he signed on how bigger and deeper this USA team would have been. Though I am glad Askew went to the Q because I think it just would have been too much and someone would have gotten lost in the shuffle (pretty amazing so far that no one really has, all the top players are performing as top players).

Askew is going to be viewed as a Brandon Shea type player who de committed from not one but two college programs only to wind up in the Q. Though Askew's reasons are different as both programs coaches either left or retired prior to him joining.

Askew is a big time player to watch out for next year, him and Greenway both should battle it out for a high draft selection as monster power forwards with skill.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Askew never played USHL. He did sign a tender with Indiana though.

unless he skated in a pre season game, I can't recall him there.

since you got to see the U.S a few times this tourney, what are your thoughts on Luke Kirwan?

He impressed me probably the most out of anyone earlier in the year for the u17 team, but some people on here didn't think he was one of their top forwards. I think him and Matthews are top picks for the 2016 draft and though a lot can happen from now until then, a 6'2 225lb skilled forward has to be looked at with eyes wide open as players with this size and skillset do not grow on trees.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
unless he skated in a pre season game, I can't recall him there.

since you got to see the U.S a few times this tourney, what are your thoughts on Luke Kirwan?

He impressed me probably the most out of anyone earlier in the year for the u17 team, but some people on here didn't think he was one of their top forwards. I think him and Matthews are top picks for the 2016 draft and though a lot can happen from now until then, a 6'2 225lb skilled forward has to be looked at with eyes wide open as players with this size and skillset do not grow on trees.

He seemingly shoots every time he touches the puck :laugh: some people won't like that. He has a quick release & hard shot so I don't mind if he wants to chuck it on net. His playmaking is underrated because we barely see it. Reminds me of a young version of USNTDP alumni Phil Kessel without the unfair expectations and less afraid of the physical game.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He seemingly shoots every time he touches the puck :laugh: some people won't like that. He has a quick release & hard shot so I don't mind if he wants to chuck it on net. His playmaking is underrated because we barely see it. Reminds me of a young version of USNTDP alumni Phil Kessel without the unfair expectations and less afraid of the physical game.

I don't really see that comparison. Kirwan doesn't have the speed or hands of a young Kessel. He's got a strong shot that he uses often but Kessel is probably the best sniper to ever come out of the NTDP. Kirwan is already bigger and stronger than Kessel though and he can certainly bring a power game that Phil has never had. He's quite physically developed though so perhaps he's peaked in that regard. I'll be interested to see how things play out for him over the next few seasons but I can understand why some might not consider him a sure thing.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't really see that comparison. Kirwan doesn't have the speed or hands of a young Kessel. He's got a strong shot that he uses often but Kessel is probably the best sniper to ever come out of the NTDP. Kirwan is already bigger and stronger than Kessel though and he can certainly bring a power game that Phil has never had. He's quite physically developed though so perhaps he's peaked in that regard. I'll be interested to see how things play out for him over the next few seasons but I can understand why some might not consider him a sure thing.

hopefully he doesn't turn into the next Seth Ambroz...though Ambroz was never this big at this age.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kirwan reminds me of Brandon Saad. Strong, powerful players that play a north-south game. I think Kirwan is more advanced at the same age though.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL

Can you tell me your thoughts on Matthews? He's one of those kids that wasn't on my radar until recently

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

I was talking about his desire to use his quick/hard shot and underrated playmaking reminding me of Kessel...

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Can you tell me your thoughts on Matthews? He's one of those kids that wasn't on my radar until recently

I was so focused on half a dozen other players in the games US played in that I didn't get a good read on him lol He was noticeable because he was on the scoreboard a lot but I never focused on him.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
What's wrong with Sweden and Russia? They should be better or do they have B teams in there?

It looks like 97´ is a bit weaker birth year for Swedes, Russian or Finns from what I have seen and learned so far. It´s fairly solid year for Czechs, there are some interesting Slovaks and Swiss too.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Congrats USA truly dominate from start to finish.

Yep, we'll done.
I have watched all USa games and every game is carbon copy- I guess that is a dated term now.
No real let downs or melt downs.
The coach knows exactly what he has and knows exactly when to use
The best offence starts with the D and puck movement. When there is no forecheck, and your feet don't move, you play on your heels. That's the way all canadian teams played.
The only team that could have made the upset was Ontario, and their patience was good but a hard game to teach 16 year olds in a short tournament. Two short handed goals killed them in the end.
Going to 3 teams is better than 5 but still not the answer.
Going with 2 teams is better but building chemistry between region kids at that age is a hurdle.
Taking a step back and seeing what Finland did today and what is in store for our youth teams 2-3 years from now from this USA team, I think we need work on skills a lot more and play less games.
Hockey Canada has to move its feet as well
The rest of the world is doing quite nicely teaching the skills. Lets not get left behind.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yep, we'll done.
I have watched all USa games and every game is carbon copy- I guess that is a dated term now.
The best offence starts with the D and puck movement. When there is no forecheck, and your feet don't move, you play on your heels. That's the way all canadian teams played.
The only team that could have made the upset was Ontario, and their patience was good but a hard game to teach 16 year olds in a short tournament. Two short handed goals killed them in the end.
Going with 2 teams is better but building chemistry between region kids at that age is a hurdle.
Taking a step back and seeing what Finland did today and what is in store for our youth teams 2-3 years from now from this USA team, I think we need work on skills a lot more and play less games.
The rest of the world is doing quite nicely teaching the skills. Lets not get left behind.

Don't worry, Canada will never get left behind but the era of pure domination at every level is well behind us. We just have to work for medals now rather than have them handed over before the tournaments even start :laugh: U17s is rarely won by Canadian teams anyway.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yep, we'll done.

I think you're being more than a little reactionary.

This was possibly the best USNTDP team in the history of the program. Scaling the Canadian teams to three and disregarding regions will be fine.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Awesome tournament for the US team. I thought they'd have a chance at the gold but didn't anticipate such a dominant performance. Hopefully this group will continue this success onto the U18 and U20 levels in the future.

All-Stars were announced...

Dylan Strome - Colin White - Artur Tyanulin
Jeremy Roy - Noah Hanifin
Michael Lackey

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Awesome tournament for the US team. I thought they'd have a chance at the gold but didn't anticipate such a dominant performance. Hopefully this group will continue this success onto the U18 and U20 levels in the future.

All-Stars were announced...

Dylan Strome - Colin White - Artur Tyanulin
Jeremy Roy - Noah Hanifin
Michael Lackey

How the? I only saw 2 Quebec games but Jeremy Roy was amazingly forgettable in both and ended up kicked out of one of them lol Michael Lackey had probably the easiest ride of all the goalies in the entire tournament, definitely thought that'd go to Sawchenko.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The starting Czech goalie was very good and should have gotten the all star nod imo, Jeremy Roy is a good prospect but based on this tourney has no business being named to the all star team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad