U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

Billybaroo*

I bleed red and white, but Canada having 5 teams at U17 is a little bit ego driven? Id prefer to see 1.

As it is now the 5 teams AS A WHOLE compete very well with everyone but the States (this year). 1 team would be a joke of epic proportions.
3 should be good. Maybe too good. Cant wait to see how the West will be next year. Some real rock stars.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
well next year is going to get cut down into 3 teams i am assuming it will be by QMJHL, OHL and WHL

It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing. I thought the same thing with WHL/OHL/QMJHL but really OHL is already a team on it's own and QMJHL would still be well behind WHL & OHL most years imo.

Whatever they do, it can't possibly be worse than the current set up.

Billybaroo*

It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing. I thought the same thing with WHL/OHL/QMJHL but really OHL is already a team on it's own and QMJHL would still be well behind WHL & OHL most years imo.

Whatever they do, it can't possibly be worse than the current set up.

I like the 3 league idea only because theres a handful of kids in the west who are very, very good.

arsmaster*

I haven't been able to finish the final game yet, but I was quite impressed with Pacific early. They did a great job.
My guess is USA was just playing possum, because when they decided to, it looked like the rest of the tournament. Domination.

Glad to get a look at these American kids. Exciting future for their program.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I haven't been able to finish the final game yet, but I was quite impressed with Pacific early. They did a great job.
My guess is USA was just playing possum, because when they decided to, it looked like the rest of the tournament. Domination.

Glad to get a look at these American kids. Exciting future for their program.

Its a loaded group. I cant see how this 97 USA(add in late 96 Eichel) core wont be a key part in challenging for Olympic Gold down the road. Cant take my eyes off Hanifin, unlimited ceiling there, could go down as a great.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As it is now the 5 teams AS A WHOLE compete very well with everyone but the States (this year). 1 team would be a joke of epic proportions.
3 should be good. Maybe too good. Cant wait to see how the West will be next year. Some real rock stars.

the US only brings its National Program team, it would be a joke as well if we actually picked kids playing in the CHL, USHL, or High school hockey for this team. It works both ways.

Three teams moving forward for Canada makes the most sense and I would eventually love to see another US team though that will never happen unless the overall depth starts becoming enormous. This tournament is a reward for joining the USNDP so I doubt that will ever change.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Can we all just agree that the Olympics is the only true best on best tournament? U17 has Canada split into 5 teams (3 in the future), US only brings their National Development program players. The U18 tournament is during CHL playoffs & US only brings their U18 National development players (I think?). World Championships for Senior teams are during NHL playoffs and every country misses people. Ivan Hlinka is a weird tournament. McDavid didn't go to Ivan Hlinka this year despite ripping up U18s last year. Not to mention, the timing isn't the best.

arsmaster*

How Lackey won goalie of the tourney is beyond me.

Having finally finished the gold medal game, Sawchenko should have won it on that performance alone.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Is that what I said? Obviously you did not watch that game which was far closer and more competitive than what your scoreboard scouting would indicate.

You need to read better. Go back and check the post I was responding to.

Obvious I am right and you need a nice brisk walk around the block.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Imagine how Canada would dominate the WJC's if they entered only one team.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
You need to read better. Go back and check the post I was responding to.

Obvious I am right and you need a nice brisk walk around the block.

Well you were responding to my post and obviously you have not watched the game.

Russia got a few bounces the game but they were not carrying the play. They got outshot in all periods. The game was much more competitive and far closer than what the scoreboard indicated. You know, like it happens often in hockey. So no, Russia did not dominate the bronze medal game. No one who actually watched the game will share your assessment but whatever.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Can we all just agree that the Olympics is the only true best on best tournament? U17 has Canada split into 5 teams (3 in the future), US only brings their National Development program players. The U18 tournament is during CHL playoffs & US only brings their U18 National development players (I think?). World Championships for Senior teams are during NHL playoffs and every country misses people. Ivan Hlinka is a weird tournament. McDavid didn't go to Ivan Hlinka this year despite ripping up U18s last year. Not to mention, the timing isn't the best.

Primarily the US only brings their USNDP, but sometimes they will bring a few USHL or CHL kids. Never more then 2-3. I am actually hoping this year Kyle Connor and Nick Schmaltz gets the chance to play with the US at the u18. Would be great to see those two studs.

Billybaroo*

Imagine how Canada would dominate the WJC's if they entered only one team.
They do.
But excercising common sense, Canada sends 5 teams & a few of them Stomp on the Swedes , who by golly by gosh, send 1. Im not even sure Swedes could compete with 3 teams , never mind 1 at this tourney.
Sorry to hurt your feelings. Just stating the obvious

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
They do.
But excercising common sense, Canada sends 5 teams & a few of them Stomp on the Swedes , who by golly by gosh, send 1. Im not even sure Swedes could compete with 3 teams , never mind 1 at this tourney.
Sorry to hurt your feelings. Just stating the obvious
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :laugh:

Also, while I am amused by your post, my feelings aren't hurt as I'm not Swedish and even if I was it would be hard to be upset considering recent events.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I think you're being more than a little reactionary.

This was possibly the best USNTDP team in the history of the program. Scaling the Canadian teams to three and disregarding regions will be fine.

Sutter says we need to develop more skills at an early age and less games and tactics.
I'm buying it.!!
Even Scott Salmond agrees!! Maybe he knows he is next to be turfed.
Maybe they will eventually get to the big cheese.

Hockey Buff

Aug 18, 2011
well next year is going to get cut down into 3 teams i am assuming it will be by QMJHL, OHL and WHL

I heard HC will select the top 100 Canadian players and invite them to camp....then they will trim down to 3 mixed teams. (red, white & black)

arsmaster*

Sutter says we need to develop more skills at an early age and less games and tactics.
I'm buying it.!!
Even Scott Salmond agrees!! Maybe he knows he is next to be turfed.
Maybe they will eventually get to the big cheese.

Sutter is an absolute embarassment to Canadian hockey with those comments he made. We're unskilled, my buttocks.

I know this isn't a U17 debate, but seriously, how one coach can pick a roster, refuse to play 1/3 of said roster, and having that roster heavily slanted towards grinders with slow feet and then not taking any accountability for how that team played is a joke.

That clown better not step foot near these kids again, it's attitudes like his that have us where we are.

The Finns were not more skilled than the Swede's, Russian's, or Canadian's, they just played the best at the U20. If Canada took their most skilled players, maybe the coaches wouldn't have to worry about finding 4-5 minutes a night for Fred Gauthier and Kerby Rychel (who are good Pro prospects, but had no business making the U20 team).

Sorry for going way off-topic, but I'm embarassed as a Canadian, not so much at the performance of these KIDS, but the lack of accountability for that goof of a coach. In my eyes, we were outcoached every game. Every team gained our blueline with ease, and had the ability to support the puck all over the ice. Sutter's team couldn't find any space in the neutral zone, but all the other teams could against us...to me that is coaching.

end rant/

U17 was a good tourney, I really like the proposed changes. Taking 3 teams of the best players makes more sense for HC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad