Kesler
28 games - 5 points
82 games - 23 points
48 games - 16 points
158 total games - 44 points = 0.28 pts/gm
This makes me quite excite.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I get why people really want Jost to succeed, we all do in the end. But he has a really, really great story of perseverance and sacrifice by a parent. He is a humble and hard working kid that has earned his way to the NHL. He is a high end 1st round pick on a team that really needs that pick to pan out. At lower levels you see a complete game with flashes of high end talent. There is a ton to like about the kid. Right now he is just in a bit over his head and needs it backed off. I'm certainly not in the AHL camp yet, that opportunity has passed IMO. Reduce his role and put him in positions to succeed. Try to build his confidence back up and cater to his strengths. I think moving him to wing and slotting him on the 4th line with mostly offensive opportunities is a big start. I'd move him off the top PP, not because he is critical to the PP or hurting it... but because he is doing nothing there and you are not going to build his puck confidence by never having him touch the puck on the PP. I'd swap Soda and Jost... give Jost more puck responsibility on the 2nd unit and try to build up confidence at the NHL level with it.

Demoted to 4th line winger with scrubs and taken off the first PP unit. Sounds like a great way to build confidence and display his skills.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Demoted to 4th line winger with scrubs and taken off the first PP unit. Sounds like a great way to build confidence and display his skills.
So you'd rather him stay at the #2c spot, struggling immensely, and the PP unit doing jack all?

Kamenev isn't exactly a scrub either, he's a young prospect with potential just like Jost.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gotta switch it up. Clearly what they were doing before wasn’t working

So you'd rather him stay at the #2c spot, struggling immensely, and the PP unit doing jack all?

Like I said before, he needs to be scratched for a couple games. Playing him on the 4th line does nothing to help him find his game.

He's been playing with 4th line types most his NHL career. His most common line mates by far last year were Wilson and Bourque. Also a good chunk with Comeau and Nieto as well as another good chunk with Yak and Bourque.

COL 1718 F Lines

Yak has skill just like Kerfoot has skill, but Kefoot is about as useless on the wing, as Yakupov was. Kerfoot on the wing with Wilson on the other have been Jost's most common line mates this year. This line is not working. Primarily because Kerfoot sucks on the wing and Wilson doesn't have the skill or smarts to play with skilled top sixers. Hence why that line still sucked without Jost.

Scratch Jost for a couple games to give him a mental reset, and narrow his focus to just working on his skills in practice, so he's prepared to display them in games. When he's finally inserted back in the lineup though, he needs to play with guys with skill and speed. I would try Kamenev and Compher. He doesn't have the separation speed right now to do it all himself with scrubs. He needs help, or he's just gonna continue to drown.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Like I said before, he needs to be scratched for a couple games. Playing him on the 4th line does nothing to help him find his game.

He's been playing with 4th line types most his NHL career. His most common line mates by far last year were Wilson and Bourque. Also a good chunk with Comeau and Nieto as well as another good chunk with Yak and Bourque.

COL 1718 F Lines

Yak has skill just like Kerfoot has skill, but Kefoot is about as useless on the wing, as Yakupov was. Kerfoot on the wing with Wilson on the other have been Jost's most common line mates this year. This line is not working. Primarily because Kerfoot sucks on the wing and Wilson doesn't have the skill or smarts to play with skilled top sixers. Hence why that line still sucked without Jost.

Scratch Jost for a couple games to give him a mental reset, and narrow his focus to just working on his skills in practice, so he's prepared to display them in games. When he's finally inserted back in the lineup though, he needs to play with guys with skill and speed. I would try Kamenev and Compher. He doesn't have the separation speed right now to do it all himself with scrubs. He needs help, or he's just gonna continue to drown.

I think being scratched and on the 4th line has a similar effect, both should be mental resets, but actually playing he has a chance to start building his game back up, not to mention on the wing where he'll have more freedom.

Reactions: Tommy G

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think being scratched and on the 4th line has a similar effect, both should be mental resets, but actually playing he has a chance to start building his game back up, not to mention on the wing where he'll have more freedom.

It doesn't really play out that way though. Not for skill players at least. You don't get a mental reset when you're still getting prepared for games, worrying about how you're gonna showcase yourself playing with 4th liners.

That usually just prolongs the lack of confidence, unless the coach is prepared to only demote them for one game, and then bump them up the lineup regardless of his performance.

I don't think the freedom aspect is an issue either, if I take that to mean defensive responsibility. He can play at both ends of the ice on the same shift with the proper line mates. As it is for most of his career though, he's had to skate with the puck through the netutral zone too much.

He doesn't have the separation speed for that right now, so he needs skilled, fast players on his wing that will give him good passing outlets. Wilson, Bourque, Comeau, Nieto, etc do not provide him with good outlets, so he's holding on to the puck too long, and getting in trouble. This plays out in a similar way in the O zone too.

That's why the plays are dying. Not because he doesn't have the ability or smarts to do something, he's just being asked to do all the work with the puck, and that's too big an ask for him early in his career. So he just focuses on being a good defensive player.

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Swapping Soda and Jost on the PP makes way to much sense to me. I think he has the tools to be the driver of PP 2 while Soda as clean up man on the first unit would be a great fit.
If soda plays on the PP, he'll be too tired to PK when we take a penalty on the powerplay.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It doesn't really play out that way though. Not for skill players at least. You don't get a mental reset when you're still getting prepared for games, worrying about how you're gonna showcase yourself playing with 4th liners.

That usually just prolongs the lack of confidence, unless the coach is prepared to only demote them for one game, and then bump them up the lineup regardless of his performance.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. We'll see how he does tonight, maybe he'll get a spot on the #2 PP on the wing too.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. We'll see how he does tonight, maybe he'll get a spot on the #2 PP on the wing too.

I'm saying scratching him will help him better than playing on the 4th line. Then I explained why you don't get a mental reset playing on the 4th line. Not sure how that's making a mountain out of a molehill.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm saying scratching him will help him better than playing on the 4th line. Then I explained why you don't get a mental reset playing on the 4th line. Not sure how that's making a mountain out of a molehill.
You explained why you think it won't, but I guess we'll see tonight. Should be an interesting game in multiple ways.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
You're right. I have no idea why it is so hard for Foppberg to understand.

Classic "taking young player's last shreds of confident" move. Jost should rest couple of games and then come back as a second line winger.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You're right. I have no idea why it is so hard for Foppberg to understand.

Classic "taking young player's last shreds of confident" move. Jost should rest couple of games and then come back as a second line winger.

Because it's subjective, God forbid somebody has a differing opinion lol. And you could argue the lines. Right now it's looking like

Jost-Kamenev-Wilson
Dano-Kerfoot-Sven

Jost/Wilson have made up the 2nd line for most of the season, Dano/Sven have been in the bottom 6 for the majority of the season so far. And who knows how the PP will end up, so for all we know it's not a demotion at all but shaking things up. I don't disagree that sitting him for a game or two could benefit him but I think him playing can still benefit him.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Because it's subjective, God forbid somebody has a differing opinion lol. And you could argue the lines. Right now it's looking like

Jost-Kamenev-Wilson
Dano-Kerfoot-Sven

Jost/Wilson have made up the 2nd line for most of the season, Dano/Sven have been in the bottom 6 for the majority of the season so far. And who knows how the PP will end up, so for all we know it's not a demotion at all but shaking things up. I don't disagree that sitting him for a game or two could benefit him but I think him playing can still benefit him.
I saw exactly where you were coming from but I can see both sides. I'm coming to the opinion that it's still early and it's a little premature to sit him or send him to the Eagles. What I really think is he needs a mentor like SammyG has in EJ, maybe Landy or MacK.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This whole argument may be moot because Jost got injured last game. I don't know how serious it is but he didn't play in the 3rd period as far as I could see.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This whole argument may be moot because Jost got injured last game. I don't know how serious it is but he didn't play in the 3rd period as far as I could see.

I was wondering what happened as I noticed he was not playing. Benching him, even if struggling, seemed too severe of a reaction. Hopefully we get some word today.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good write-up on Jost by RSC.

While on the mend, Tyson Jost also found the time to fix his...

I like this bit from Bednar:
“He looks better now since he’s been back from injury,” said Bednar, who believes Jost’s slow start caused him to lose some confidence. “We were trying to free him up to go play because he was playing with his eyes and not his legs. He was not instinctual, he was always thinking.

“Sometimes you go out of the lineup for whatever reason. This one happens to be an injury and you get some time away and get some time to skate with Shawn and work on some skills and get his legs moving and handling the puck and he gains some confidence.”

Also goes into how Jost and Compher, who both live with Kerfoot, helped one another pass the time as they both recovered from concussions. He also mentions Timmins briefly.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Compher participated in the full practice, with Bednar stating the former University of Michigan captain could join the Avalanche for their three-game swing through Southern California and Arizona next week.

Not related to Jost but saw that in the Athletic article and that's promising. Even mentioning Timmins being on the ice is promising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad