Tyson Jost

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
like i said about a month ago... the lights have come on for jost. he now understands what his strengths are and how to play in this league... folks forget that jost doesn't lack talent, its all between the ears for him... happy for him, may it continue

Reactions: FACTORY and MarkT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’s terrific. His defensive play certainly has taken a leap this year, but was very high end last year too. But his offensive confidence is just allowing him to do things he’s never done before. Funny what a bit of confidence does. He broke out that Makar style lateral shimmy shake on a play back in January to create space and a scoring opportunity and I was legitimately dumbfounded. The ability to open your hips like that and create speed is rare. Those who have that gift utilize it constantly and when he did it back in January I just couldn’t believe he had it in his arsenal. I guess he had it but just never had the confidence to skate anywhere with the puck aside from into the boards which is the safe play so I don’t really blame him, but he’s proving and learning himself that he’s probably better than the guy who always needs to make the safe play. Jost’s using open ice to create space right now and he’s never done that as a pro. It’s making a difference.

His defense right now is insane. His forechecking and tenacity is insane. His passing ability looks really good. Now if we could just get him to start scoring and honestly as much as I’ve ragged on TJ in the past, I think that scoring potential is there. The reason I say this is because of his hands. The way Jost strips pucks from opponents is truly impressive. It’s not just hard work. Hard work gets you to a puck and allows you to knock it off a players stick. Jost strips and possesses the puck at a high end level. It takes a very special set of hands to do what he does in his puck retrieval’s. He obviously has the hands to make things happen but I want to see him use those hands to put more pucks home himself.

So proud of this guy. He’s playing high end 3C hockey right now.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Jost is miscast as a #2LW or in any top 6 role tbh, but he'll be an above-average #3C. If his skating/strength improves i'd argue he'll develop into a borderline elite #3C.

He could prove us all wrong and put up 40+ points this season and look good doing it in the 2LW role, but he's far more suited to be the #3 pivot and the go-to guy on a line against weaker players.

Not a bad take, considering this was from 2019.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not a bad take, considering this was from 2019.
I was just looking down memory lane at a few conversations I had with some posters here back in January where I shared my frustration in the fact that Jost had never really been used in the 3C role and its guuuud.

Reactions: flyfysher and PAZ

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
tenor.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just turned 23, still time to continue to improve and get stronger as well. Nuke/Jost/Kaut line would be juicy.
I’d like to see that too. Or Saad instead of Nuke. Either way I think the fourth line (obviously in very limited minutes) missed JT Compher last night while JTC didn’t really bring anything to the 2nd line. I’d stick Compher back down on line 4 where he’s been very impressive and has been driving that line and move Kaut up for a few games to see what he has.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We are probably a bit quick to say everything has turned the corner and going to be fine, but Jost has been very good for a stretch now. Plus he's starting to put up some offense along with it. Now there has always been a bit of a streaky element in Jost's offensive game (he's been solid defensively for a while now and consistent). In 18-19 he had 8 points in 10 games, last season had a 7 in 9 to end the reg season, this year he is on a 5 game streak now with a good overall production since mid March. He's showing the level can be there, he needs to show it can consistently continue. I don't care about 5 game streaks, but give me 35-40 point production to be that high end 3C guy.

Now the sobering part of Jost's offense is that 1 point has come against Minny in the 8 games played against them. He has zero points in the 4 games against Vegas. 2 in 6 vs St Louis (both in the last 2 games). 1 in 4 vs San Jose. The only 2 teams he's over .33 points per game are Anaheim and Arizona. He's feasting on some bad teams, and that isn't abnormal for lower line players. A little more production vs the top teams and teams that can reasonably line up at center against him, to me, is the key evaluation on if he has turned that corner there. I hope he runs with this opportunity and solves the 3C issue long term.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ve never seen him play with this much confidence with the puck. He’s actually hanging onto the puck and making plays. His compete level has always been good, but physically he’s actually holding up better in battles this season.

I’m not fully convinced this is the player he’s going to long term, but I’m happy that he’s showing signs of improvement.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Out of all of our recent draft picks, I'm rooting for Jost the most. What a story for this guy who was close to getting traded last year to hopefully raising a cup in the near future. I hope he sticks around for long and becomes a fixture in the bottom 6.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still not convinced he’s the long-term solution there but by God he’s solved the team’s biggest issue by far for the short term, it’s no coincidence they really helped as a team and went on this monster run when that line came together. Whatever the case and whatever the future may hold, I’m glad I was wrong about him.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Very happy for the kid and the season he’s had. Even through his rough patches (of which there will likely be more as all players fluctuate) the effort was always there. Hard not to root for those types of guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad