Tyson Jost

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
So is it in the press box for a couple games, or is it sent to the AHL? Two very different things.

Also for the record. Jost hasn't been the teams worst player. Hes overwhelmed in his current role as #2C. So that means it actively hurts our chances of winning to completely sit him out or send him to the AHL.

I'm also not sure any other player on the roster outside of Soda is ready to handle that role either.

If people defended Nick Holden for being played above his head, lol then WTF?

I never said he was the team's worst player, and I wasn't on these boards when Holden was here.
I'm simply responding to your laughing at the idea of sending him down to the Eagles. I think it would be the best way for him to find his offensive game and regain some confidence.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I never said he was the team's worst player, and I wasn't on these boards when Holden was here.
I'm simply responding to your laughing at the idea of sending him down to the Eagles. I think it would be the best way for him to find his offensive game and regain some confidence.

What's he going to learn down there? One of the biggest differences in the NHL and AHL is speed. Yeah I guess if you want him to just go score some goals. I doubt at this point Jost has much to learn from the AHL similar to Kam. It's just a weird idea to me to send someone to the AHL to build their confidence without there being something like recovering from injury that also goes with it. At this point it will be just as much of a slap in the face. I doubt motivation is Jost's issue either.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm okay with him being demoted if for no other reason than I think part of the issue is that the coaches are steering him in the wrong direction and giving him some bad linemates, and maybe a new set of eyes are necessary. Maybe Cronin et al can show both Jost and Bednar's crew how to utilize him properly. I think the coaching staff in CO is trying too hard to get him to lunch pail it everywhere he goes, Jost has some finesse to his game too.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
What's he going to learn down there? One of the biggest differences in the NHL and AHL is speed. Yeah I guess if you want him to just go score some goals. I doubt at this point Jost has much to learn from the AHL similar to Kam. It's just a weird idea to me to send someone to the AHL to build their confidence without there being something like recovering from injury that also goes with it. At this point it will be just as much of a slap in the face. I doubt motivation is Jost's issue either.

I'm inclined to agree here. Jost has been up for too long to be sent down for a confidence gain. Just being sent down would probably shatter him at this point. That said, I guess we don't really know unless they do it.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
TBH I think he can be fixed, but they gotta do something other than surround him with boat anchors on his line.

It's definitely official, I really, truly dislike Bourque and Wilson on this team. I know the team as a whole can take shifts and even entire periods off, but I think those two dog it the most by far. I'll be glad once both are gone, though I'm sure they'll bring in another goat for me to hate on. :laugh: It's possible I'm the problem but I ain't gonna admit that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
TBH I think he can be fixed, but they gotta do something other than surround him with boat anchors on his line.

It's definitely official, I really, truly dislike Bourque and Wilson on this team. I know the team as a whole can take shifts and even entire periods off, but I think those two dog it the most by far. I'll be glad once both are gone, though I'm sure they'll bring in another goat for me to hate on. :laugh: It's possible I'm the problem but I ain't gonna admit that.

I'd like a world where Calvert or Dano are the worst players on the roster, and are both on the 4th line. If Compher gets healthy and Bednar puts Kam the hell back in and at center it should be a possibility.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Neato versus Wilson though.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What is with the love affair with Jost? Didn't see enough of last season, but this year he has done utterly nothing. He hardly touches the puck.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What is with the love affair with Jost? Didn't see enough of last season, but this year he has done utterly nothing. He hardly touches the puck.

Last season started with him on the IR to start the season thanks to a cheap shot from Adam McQuaid, it really hampered his progress from the get-go. People are high on him because of his skill set and hockey sense, go watch some of what he pulled off in college if you want to know why Alan Hepple was so enamored with him. He may not pan out but geez, like others have said, dude is TWENTY. Not every rookie starts out hot, some take a while to develop, and the Avs probably should have taken a different route with his development. Doesn't mean he's ruined though.

Also, the kid works hard, both on and off the ice, he's an easy guy to root for.

Reactions: McMetal

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think he's ruined. I'd rather see him get some points in a professional league to build confidence. Should be sent to Loveland. NHL in a year or two.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Don't think anyone is genuinely writing him off but he's been fed top 6 minutes and is contributing nothing. It's open house for criticism.

I flip flop between reduced minutes in the NHL or full time in the AHL. I tend to lean on the latter so the kid can actually play minutes and at a level he's more suited for.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd like a world where Calvert or Dano are the worst players on the roster, and are both on the 4th line. If Compher gets healthy and Bednar puts Kam the hell back in and at center it should be a possibility.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Neato versus Wilson though.

Oh I'm not high on Nieto right now at all, in fact he really, really needs to sit (also, getting very irritated with Bednar because he insists on keeping him with Soderberg...dude, give it up already). But I think Nieto's problem is between his ears right now---he just has zero confidence. I've seen what both Wilson and Bourque can do when they're going full bore, yet we only see that once every 6-7 games, if that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh I'm not high on Nieto right now at all, in fact he really, really needs to sit (also, getting very irritated with Bednar because he insists on keeping him with Soderberg...dude, give it up already). But I think Nieto's problem is between his ears right now---he just has zero confidence. I've seen what both Wilson and Bourque can do when they're going full bore, yet we only see that once every 6-7 games, if that.

Yeah, hey at least our defense doesn't have any complete passengers. There is always something to complain about I guess lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
To me, I dont think they should send him down to learn. I think if they do that it's to give a wake up call to him, kind of like happened with Barrie and Z before.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Jost will break out soon enough it's only 10 games.

Based on what?? The fact that he was the 10th overall pick??

He was awfully average last year and this year Sakic gave him the 2nd line center job and top PP minutes and he has done nothing and had arguably been our worst forward.

So what do we do with him? Put him back on the 2nd line to produce nothin or give him 10 minutes a game with AHL caliber wingers?

I see 2 solutions. A trade or a demotion to the AHL.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I don't think there is any reason to give up on Jost yet. He may be experiencing the dreaded sophomore slump, not that he was lights out last year either. He has little trade value relatively so the options are: switch to wing, sit out for a few or AHL. I just wish they would do something. He has been brutal. AHL level play helped Miko develop, can Sakic swallow his pride to do it? Personally I don't see a second line center ceiling for the kid but he is only 20...

Reactions: BoxOfChocolates

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah let's give up on Jost now...just like we wanted to with Mack a couple of years ago. How did that turn out?

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
One difference with Mack was that he always flashed his talent. He wasn't putting it together but the tools were obvious. Jost...not as much which is why some people are ready to move on. He is still too young to write off but, right now, both he and the team are suffering. Change SOMETHING.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get why people really want Jost to succeed, we all do in the end. But he has a really, really great story of perseverance and sacrifice by a parent. He is a humble and hard working kid that has earned his way to the NHL. He is a high end 1st round pick on a team that really needs that pick to pan out. At lower levels you see a complete game with flashes of high end talent. There is a ton to like about the kid. Right now he is just in a bit over his head and needs it backed off. I'm certainly not in the AHL camp yet, that opportunity has passed IMO. Reduce his role and put him in positions to succeed. Try to build his confidence back up and cater to his strengths. I think moving him to wing and slotting him on the 4th line with mostly offensive opportunities is a big start. I'd move him off the top PP, not because he is critical to the PP or hurting it... but because he is doing nothing there and you are not going to build his puck confidence by never having him touch the puck on the PP. I'd swap Soda and Jost... give Jost more puck responsibility on the 2nd unit and try to build up confidence at the NHL level with it.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Swapping Soda and Jost on the PP makes way to much sense to me. I think he has the tools to be the driver of PP 2 while Soda as clean up man on the first unit would be a great fit.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I get why people really want Jost to succeed, we all do in the end. But he has a really, really great story of perseverance and sacrifice by a parent. He is a humble and hard working kid that has earned his way to the NHL. He is a high end 1st round pick on a team that really needs that pick to pan out. At lower levels you see a complete game with flashes of high end talent. There is a ton to like about the kid. Right now he is just in a bit over his head and needs it backed off. I'm certainly not in the AHL camp yet, that opportunity has passed IMO. Reduce his role and put him in positions to succeed. Try to build his confidence back up and cater to his strengths. I think moving him to wing and slotting him on the 4th line with mostly offensive opportunities is a big start. I'd move him off the top PP, not because he is critical to the PP or hurting it... but because he is doing nothing there and you are not going to build his puck confidence by never having him touch the puck on the PP. I'd swap Soda and Jost... give Jost more puck responsibility on the 2nd unit and try to build up confidence at the NHL level with it.

I knew it!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad