Tyson Jost

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It'll be a glorious day in Avs history when the 13th forward on this team actually stays in the goddamn press box where he belongs. That hasn't happened since David Koci sat up there.

So this is not Landeskog telling Borq hes scratched?

N-5R4q.gif

I actually somehow thought Borq would end up the 13th forward lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So first Jost wasn’t big enough to play center. Then when Jost showed he could take hits and physicality wasn’t a problem, then he wasn’t fast enough to play center. Now he takes a couple hits, and we’re back to saying he's not big enough. :facepalm:

It’s amazing how reactionary this place is over the growing pains of a 20 year old.

Also, how come Tyler Johnson can play center but Jost can’t? Jost was out on the ice for the entire 1:20 of the PP, while Johnson was fresh off the bench 20 seconds into his shift. I don’t see much difference in speed, and Jost is the younger guy with more room to improve in this area.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
So first Jost wasn’t big enough to play center. Then when Jost showed he could take hits and physicality wasn’t a problem, then he wasn’t fast enough to play center. Now he takes a couple hits, and we’re back to saying he's not big enough. :facepalm:

It’s amazing how reactionary this place is over the growing pains of a 20 year old.

Also, how come Tyler Johnson can play center but Jost can’t? Jost was out on the ice for the entire 1:20 of the PP, while Johnson was fresh off the bench 20 seconds into his shift. I don’t see much difference in speed, and Jost is the younger guy with more room to improve in this area.

I mean his size and speed was always a concern with him at center at this level, it's not as if people just started coming up with excuses.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean his size and speed was always a concern with him at center at this level, it's not as if people just started coming up with excuses.

Size was never and is still not a big concern IMO. When people brought this up after he was drafted, I pointed out his skating was the issue that he needed to work on so he could be elusive and separate himself. No one agreed. Then when it became clear he was strong enough to handle the physicality in the NHL, people switched to him being too slow to play center. Now apparently some are switching back after he took a couple hits.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Size was never and is still not a big concern IMO. When people brought this up after he was drafted, I pointed out his skating was the issue that he needed to work on so he could be elusive and separate himself. No one agreed. Then when it became clear he was strong enough to handle the physicality in the NHL, people switched to him being too slow to play center. Now apparently some are switching back after he took a couple hits.

Meh everyone thinks they are a talent elevator. The too far stuff is talking about sending him to the AHL at this point lol.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Can't say I've seen what you apparently have in regards to people flip flopping on excuses.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, I'm no talent scout but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that he's not being effective offensively...and we need the 2nd line to put up some points consistently to really take the next step.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Meh everyone thinks they are a talent elevator. The too far stuff is talking about sending him to the AHL at this point lol.

I don't think he needs to go to the AHL. He just needs a mental reset. He's clearly lost some confidence.

He should be scratched for a couple games, so he can just focus on running drills in practice, and working on some set plays with line mates so they have things to try when he gets back.

Then he should be put with more skill guys like between Kamenev and Compher if he's back. That could be a solid line. Jost actually looked better to me at times with Dano who brings speed and some skill to the table. Gives him more puck support in the O zone.

Playing him with Wilson, Bourque, Nieto, Calvert, etc does nothing for him. It's not going to bring any offense out of him, it's only going to make him continue to play a simple defensive game.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Scotlander

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think he needs to go to the AHL. He just needs a mental reset. He's clearly lost some confidence.

He should be scratched for a couple games, so he can just focus on running drills in practice, and working on some set plays with line mates so they have things to try when he gets back.

Then he should be put with more skill guys like between Kamenev and Compher if he's back. That could be a solid line. He actually looked better to me at times with Dano who brings speed and some skill to the table.

Playing him with Bourque, Nieto, Calvert, etc does nothing for him. It's not going to bring any offense out of him, it's going to make him play a simple defensive game.

Yeah but we clearly need Borq's leadership so someone has to play with him. :confused:

This is just me poking the bear because I agree lol, but who plays center on a line with Jost and Kam?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can't say I've seen what you apparently have in regards to people flip flopping on excuses.

Not sure you looked that hard. Try going back a page to see if anyone complained about him not having size and getting ragdolled against the Bolts.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ehhhh, we know he's not big and we know he'll never have blazing speed. He was showing an ability to move with some shiftiness and quickness and was getting some separation, but overall that line with Kerf and Wilson just...wasn't good enough. I still think if you put a much better player there (or at least one that works harder) than Wilson you would've seen some production.

To his credit, Wilson started out the season flying around the ice, but he's since regressed back to Captain Average. I seriously would put him on the 3rd or even 4th line, enough already.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
It's my opinion that Josty just needs a good mentor and to get over this hump and he'll be fine. All our rookies have had good mentorship up until this year because Dutchy used to take care of that (well I might add, to my dismay) and not having that veteran guy to take our youngsters under there wing is what I think is killing Jost. Dutchy I dont think got enough credit for that even when he was here

Reactions: New Scotlander

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
On his third team... and in a forceful situation where a team didn't have better options... then that team brought in two top 9 centers the summer following. Not exactly glowing there.
Yeah I'm just saying it took him awhile to produce and awhile to play center

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Jost will break out soon enough it's only 10 games.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

What exactly is wrong (other than perception) with sending him down to regain his confidence by playing against weaker competition? If he's not playing well enough to make the Avs roster, I'd rather have him play than sit in the press box. This isn't a guy who was tearing it up, went on a slump, and just needs a shot in the arm. This is a player who has yet to figure out his game at the NHL level and seems to have zero confidence. I don't see how sitting a couple of games in the press box is going to solve those issues.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What exactly is wrong (other than perception) with sending him down to regain his confidence by playing against weaker competition? If he's not playing well enough to make the Avs roster, I'd rather have him play than sit in the press box. This isn't a guy who was tearing it up, went on a slump, and just needs a shot in the arm. This is a player who has yet to figure out his game at the NHL level and seems to have zero confidence. I don't see how sitting a couple of games in the press box is going to solve those issues.

So is it in the press box for a couple games, or is it sent to the AHL? Two very different things.

Also for the record. Jost hasn't been the teams worst player. Hes overwhelmed in his current role as #2C. So that means it actively hurts our chances of winning to completely sit him out or send him to the AHL.

I'm also not sure any other player on the roster outside of Soda is ready to handle that role either.

If people defended Nick Holden for being played above his head, lol then WTF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->